In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

NEW Fiskars ISOCORE 8# Splitting Maul

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by Red Elm, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

Finally ordered an iso core from my local Ace hardware. They said it will be here nextbThursday. I can't wait to get it and try it one some large rounds that I can't get through with my Fiskars splitting axe. I'll post a full review after I get a couple hours swing time on it...

CoreyB and HDRock like this.
  2. Oldman47

Oldman47

It is not magic but it will definitely bust some rounds that the X-27 bounces off of.

colin.p, Dakota Hoarder and HDRock like this.
  3. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

Fiskars Iso Core finally arrived to Ace Hardware! I'm picking up later today and will give it a couple of swings tonight! The only problem is I only have a small stick of rounds at the house that are still pretty green (only cut a couple of months ago). I guess if it will split that it will split anything, we'll see...

brenndatomu, CoreyB and colin.p like this.
  4. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

So, Swung my new ISO core for about 45 minutes tonight on some green rounds just to see well it worked. Of course it didn't blast them apart being green and all, but I did manage to get some split that I couldn't with the Fiskars splitting axe. I can't wait to actually work on some seasoned wood. Swinging it was a pretty good workout, but didn't wear me out as much as expected.

brenndatomu and bushpilot like this.
  5. bushpilot

bushpilot

I can't explain why, but I find it easier to swing than an approximately equal weight maul.

Dakota Hoarder likes this.
  6. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

I agree, my #6 true temper is much harder to swing. I would guess the balance, grip, and definitely the less vibration. My hands felt little to no fatigue even with miss swings or when the maul bounced of the green rounds

7. CoreyB

CoreyB

I hope the make a 6# Iso core (30"). That I think would be awesome! Although I have probably said that before.
    That is my thought every time I use the 8# Iso core. It is not that it is to heavy I just can't get the speed or snap I like from a slightly lighter maul. Although I am not going to give the 8# away anytime soon. It is a great go to tool especially when I know the stuff Is knarly or splits around.

8. Ridgeback303

Ridgeback303

We broke ours in less than 1 yrs hard use, much of it with wedges as the oak here is stringy as hell. The head fractured at the bolt hole , top to bottom. Fiskars sent a new one within a week. After that we got a hydraulic splitter!

Dancan, colin.p and HDRock like this.
  9. colin.p

colin.p

I don't blame you one bit.

10. CoreyB

CoreyB

I would love to see photos of how it broke. I have an Iso core maul and it is my lend a friend maul. As well as I wana hulk smash something maul.

Dakota Hoarder likes this.
  11. Ridgeback303

Ridgeback303

[​IMG] [/IMG]

See the failure point?

Dancan and CoreyB like this.
  12. Rowerwet

Rowerwet

I finally found some tough maple that wouldn't even hold the X27, but finally split with the isocore maul.
    It has it's place, but is a lot harder on me

13. CoreyB

CoreyB

Wow that sucks. Thanks for sharing.

Camber likes this.
  14. Ridgeback303

Ridgeback303

Yeah, we were not happy, but shortly after it died, we found a hydraulic 22 ton for cheap. We also have an x27 that I was playing with today on some old dry pecan. Since Fiskars was so good about the warranty replacement, we have no trouble recommending their products. Just be aware that the crossbolt on the maul head is a stress riser and probable point of failure, especially if you have to use the sledge side a lot with wedges.

Camber, CoreyB and brenndatomu like this.
  15. RCBS

RCBS

I finally purchased an Isocore. Was waiting on the porch when I got home from work last night. It's looks and feels quality, just like other Fiskars tools that I have. May get a chance to break it in on Saturday. I have some greenish white oak rounds that were working me pretty good with the x27. Interested to see what the maul will do.

16. JWinIndiana

JWinIndiana

Ever think of taking it to a grinder or taking a grinder to it? Take off evenly on both sides. :)

Camber and CoreyB like this.
  17. RCBS

RCBS

Updating:

Laid into some of the white oak last weekend with the Isocore. Whre the X27 was taking up to 10 strikes, the Isocore was blowing them open with 4-5. It is not a replacement for the X27, but a great compliment for the bigger/tougher rounds.

isocore.jpg

metalcuttr, tfdchief, colin.p and 3 others like this.
  18. Camber

Camber

I've got a confession of personal stupidity.. I broke mine in a more dramatic fashion while busting up concrete Monday. I always have a maul in my truck for many reasons, and forgot to take replace my isocore with one of my old mauls. So, when I went to break up a short 10 foot section of sidewalk I shattered my fiskars in about 10 swings. o_O my fault ofcouse. I did like that thing though, and I will be ordering a new one. I will not be doing that ever again.:doh:

19. RCBS

RCBS

Will they warranty it? I'd write them and send a picture.

20. Camber

Camber

I don't know if they will or not. When I first bought it I knew not to stress it too much. It isn't made for demo work, so I feel that the breakage is my fault.....headed out to get a load of wood.

RCBS likes this.