In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New Dogs

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Micah Anderson, Dec 9, 2019.

1. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

I also bought very similar dogs for my MS460. I got them from Baileys, they look identical to yours.

I couldn't believe a pro grade 77 cc saw came with a tiny dog on one side only. My 7900 Dolmar has two big rounded dogs. I can't pivot on a nub, even cutting birch.

dingbat, Micah Anderson, Chaz and 2 others like this.
  2. James Miller

James Miller

20191212_160804.jpg Big dogs. These make the dogs on my 7910 look anemic.

M2theB, dingbat, eatonpcat and 5 others like this.
  3. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Those look like the dogs on my 3100G homelite

M2theB, dingbat, Horkn and 1 other person like this.
  4. James Miller

James Miller

Theres two different sets of dogs for the 111s. The other kind are much shorter with more teeth. The saw might be for sale soon as I dont have the time or skill set to properly restore it.

M2theB, dingbat, eatonpcat and 2 others like this.
  5. MAF143

MAF143

Big dogs not only look nice and aggressive, but when you get in a knarly spot with loose thick bark, they sure are handy. I even put a large dog on my MS250, I don't need it very often, but it sure is nice when I need them. I use my 250 as my main saw for firewood and even felling a lot of the firewood trees. I use the MS391 when I'm dropping some of the larger stuff for on the saw mill and it has two aftermarket aggressive large dogs on it.

They don't get in the way when I don't need them and they sure are hepful when needed. There may be times when they could be in the way, but for my uses they have been very helpful.

M2theB and Micah Anderson like this.
  6. jo191145

jo191145

I put a set like that on my 372. Could be my imagination but they seemed to help me keep my cuts straighter in large rounds.
    If nothing else they stop the 372 from sliding around in the back of the pickup. They grip the bed liner real nice ;) Everything else will migrate to the front but the 372 is always right where I put it.

James Miller and M2theB like this.
  7. M2theB

M2theB

AAA3AE00-9820-4DB2-B27F-ACE6322C0F55.jpeg

What do think this toothless dog is for then. I guess it’s there solely to protect the front of the saw.

8. MAF143

MAF143

I replaced the dogs on my MS250. The stock ones didn't get much bite felling stuff with knarly bark.

Before... where's the beef???
    tailgate sharpening station.jpg

After, I actually ground some of the sharp edges back some. They were too sharp and bending a tad and I would catch them on my chaps occasionally.
    MS250 in sharpening block.jpg

MS391 with a second dog added, MUCH better...
    MS391 in sharpening block.jpg
    This pic is pre-MM. The muffler mod made a very nice improvement to this saw. Hearing protection is for sure required after that mod... Well worth it with the gains in cutting speed. Probably would be frowned on by close neighbors. Not a problem out here.

9. James Miller

James Miller

Slider for cant racing. I need to make one for my 590.

M2theB likes this.
  10. James Miller

James Miller

Close neighbors are offended till the big tree in there back yard blows down and your the guy with saws big enough to help them clean it up.