In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New Council Tool Axes

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by KSPlainsman, Dec 5, 2022.

1. KSPlainsman

KSPlainsman

I'll go back and read through it again, I couldn't remember for sure.

I don't have a log splitter, but if I was dealing with the chit you deal with, I'd probably be buying one. Lol

metalcuttr and davidwyby like this.
  2. davidwyby

davidwyby

metalcuttr likes this.
  3. maulhead

maulhead

Do you have both council mauls, 6lb & 8lb I mean?

Do you ever split elm down that way in Kansas?

metalcuttr and KSPlainsman like this.
  4. KSPlainsman

KSPlainsman

Yeah, I have 2, 8 lb and 1, 6 lb. I used to split a lot of elm, but I try to stick to locust nowadays. I have about 2 cord of elm logs in my log storage to buck and split eventually.

metalcuttr likes this.
  5. maulhead

maulhead

I have two 8 lb council mauls also, I've kinda always had a itch to buy a council 6 lb maul, I just never did. I keep seeing these posts about the council 5 lb splitting axe, I might have to scratch the itch and piggie back a 6 lb maul & 5 lb splitting axe in the same order.

Sheldon forestry has free shipping on orders over $99....just the 5 lb axe by itself, with shipping would be $83.11, 5 lb splitting axe and 6 lb maul together would get free shipping, the order would be $112 that makes more sense to me. Not sure why I keep resisting the urges. I've had both in my cart a few times at sheldon. Lol

I also have a hydro splitter, but I still enjoy using a maul or axe to split.

Elm is not bad to split in the dead of winter when it's frozen solid, it pops apart pretty easy, or if you cut and let it sit in the rounds for a few years, once the bark falls off, and it starts to turn gray, it splits OK. Or at least the elm around here. I've only found a few locust around here, elm is about 90% of the wood I burn.

6. KSPlainsman

KSPlainsman

Going that route would give ya a nice variety that covers everything good. For not even 30 bucks more to get an axe, due to free shipping, makes it a pretty good deal too.

I like the 6 lb maul over the 8 lb most of the time. Once the rounds get big enough, 3 ft or so, I like a bigger maul.

I only bought the axes, because it's what all the cool kids were doing, but I'm pretty happy with how the 5 lber and FE6 do. I do prefer the 6 lb maul to the FE6 though.

I don't have quite the issues with elm that others on here and OPE have either. It's tougher to split for sure, but still doable by hand, since I don't have a hydraulic splitter. I do have to get out the sledge and wedges sometimes though, but it's free exercise. No gym membership needed. Lol

Ronaldo and metalcuttr like this.
  7. davidwyby

davidwyby

I prefer the lighter 6lb when I can and only 8 when I have to. Once the rounds are broken once or twice with the 8lb I can get the smaller pieces with the 6lb OX head or Maul. Sometimes the X27 or 5lb axe.

I would skip the 5lb axe for tough splitting.

8. KSPlainsman

KSPlainsman

I would agree with ya.

9. maulhead

maulhead

Neat info...

metalcuttr likes this.
  10. davidwyby

davidwyby

11. davidwyby

davidwyby

I really like the council 6lb fire axe. Not a lot of difference in stuckage between it and the falci 6lb maul. Both stuck in pic.
    E5CD8E05-FF44-4017-B1BD-E874E10D15CE.jpeg 7CE9EB44-4632-4D68-A344-3BE1F61B52BF.jpeg

60DB070E-6EAC-4103-A4C4-466BD0C25211.jpeg

12. KSPlainsman

KSPlainsman