In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New Council Tool Axes

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by KSPlainsman, Dec 5, 2022.

1. KSPlainsman

KSPlainsman

I picked up a couple more new Council Gool axes from Whiskey River. I got the FE6 and the 5 lb splitting axe. It's been my experience with Council Tool, their heads are awesome, the steel is good, they come sharp, but the mass produced hanging method is horrible.

I have 1 axe/maul from them, that has not loosened within the first 10 minutes of use. Maybe I just have too high of expectations for a 50 to 80 dollar axe/maul, but it's seems like a waste to me. I wish I could just buy the head and handle separate and hang it myself.

Anyway, These are going to be nice additions I think and they get after the locust very well!

IMG_20221205_122351_825.jpg IMG_20221205_122513_187.jpg

2. Wolley

Wolley

I have a 5lb dayton axe from council tool. For 80 bucks these days you aren't going to get a custom hand fitted hang. That would put you in the 150+ category. Even then you are at the whim of your weather and humidity to keep it tight. Mine hasn't come loose yet but before I used it much I stripped the wax and soaked the handle with raw linseed oil everyday for over a week. Still beats any pos fiberglass or plastic handled stuff for me.

metalcuttr, T.Jeff Veal, WESF and 3 others like this.
  3. Deererainman

Deererainman

Which one do you like the best?

4. KSPlainsman

KSPlainsman

Admittedly, I am used to Fiskars Isocore and X27, so this wooden handle axe/maul thing is fairly new, within a couple years. I'm just moving towards being able to fix the handle myself, unlike the Fiskars stuff. So I wasn't sure if I just had crappy luck, or what.

I did strip the wax on these 2, and added a little step wedge, since they had a barrel wedge in them. I'm going to lather them up with boiled linseed oil for a bit and see what happens.

I am starting to like the wood handles more and more. Just gotta be a little more careful with where a guy hits the wood, to save out the handle.

5. KSPlainsman

KSPlainsman

Well, I've only swung them for under 10 minutes a piece, but I personally like the 5 lb splitting axe more. Some of that is strictly handle. I like a straight handle, because that's what I'm used to. They both do very well splitting though. The FE6 just doesn't feel very balanced to me.

6. Deererainman

Deererainman

I've been looking at both, couldn't make up my mind between them.

7. KSPlainsman

KSPlainsman

The answer is simple.........both! Lol

8. Deererainman

Deererainman

The 5 pounder is headed to KY. We'll see if it can give the X27 a run for it's money.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
  9. KSPlainsman

KSPlainsman

It's pretty nice and I think it is every bit as good as the X27 (I have one and have run it for years).

You'll like it I reckon. Congratulations!

10. Deererainman

Deererainman

The 5lb Council came today. It's raining, but couldn't help myself, had to test it out. I do believe it is going to give the X27 a run for most favorite status! We'll get some pics out tomorrow.

Thank you KSPlainsman for turning me on to this axe.

11. KSPlainsman

KSPlainsman

That's fantastic! I hope you keep enjoying it and it serves you well.

I used both the FE6 and the 5 lber a few more times this week, for a total of about 45 minutes each and while the FE6 is growing on me a bit, it just doesn't feel as good as the 5 lber. The 5 lber just seems to do better for me.

I haven't picked up my X27, or Isocore all week. Lol

Did you get a straight handle, or a curved one?

12. Deererainman

Deererainman

Got the straight handle. Love this thing. Used it a little more today along with the 6 1/2 Muller and some others. I was splitting some pretty straight grained Oak. It feels good, the handle seemed to have some flex when I really smacked it. I also noticed that the extra weight on the head lended very well to the "flick" method when splitting.

Here are a few pics:
    IMG_0117.jpg IMG_0119.jpg IMG_0124.jpg IMG_0130.jpg IMG_0133.jpg

Hinerman, Ronaldo, metalcuttr and 7 others like this.
  13. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

T

They both look like they would drive falling wedges just GREAT !!
    I wonder how they would be for chopping ?

14. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

I think I'll order the 5 lb as it's basically a rafting axe with convex cheeks . So it should pop chips and not get stuck as much when chopping . And split even better than the 5 lb Rafting axes !
    The 6 pounder looks Good, but I'm getting old. I wish they could be gotten with a 32" handle.

15. KSPlainsman

KSPlainsman

Not sure. I personally haven't tried chopping with them. They are both splitting machines though. Which is what I got them for.

I'm 6'5, so I appreciate the longer handle.

16. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

Just under 5'10" here. A 29" is really good for me. But a 32 is good also. I like the shock absorbsion of a 36" handle. Bit am more accurate for chopping with the shorter ones.
    I think I will really like the 5 lb.

17. davidwyby

davidwyby

The 5lb just gets stuck in the wood I have here. Gonna try reshaping it to be more like my little old collins. It doesn’t seem to stick as bad.
    FCC3DDEF-2F8B-4149-BEF5-676A9C15210E.jpeg 379669FD-ECE9-4FD5-8EA9-C8F8B5C704AA.jpeg AFDAFAF5-32D7-4997-BBCB-438BF8B2D310.jpeg

18. KSPlainsman

KSPlainsman

With the stuff you're dealing with, how does a maul do? I don't remember if you mentioned it on OPE or not.

I split mostly locust, and it has to be a pretty decent piece before I use an axe over a maul, because they get stuck. Even still, my Fiskars maul still gets stuck a bit. My Council Tools mauls don't get stuck nearly as much.

metalcuttr, T.Jeff Veal and davidwyby like this.
  19. davidwyby

davidwyby

KSPlainsman husky used to bounce. X27 got stuck unless broken down already. Rounds are 24” plus dry hard Euc. Iso did the best but got stuck plenty too. After grinding the husky it’s pretty good.
    65DAD4C0-A75C-4D16-B5EB-5708009DF5E8.jpeg

All in “axes and associated items”

20. davidwyby

davidwyby

Iltis oxhead splitting axe is great. Same as stihl. It’s light like an x27 but doesn’t get stuck. Won’t hack monsters though. Well maybe. I got it stuck and broke it. The iso and the husky got stuck too. Lee valley is sending me a new one.

metalcuttr and KSPlainsman like this.