In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New Chicken Coop

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by overactor, Sep 14, 2019.

1. overactor

overactor

I thought I might show a few of my projects from this summer. We moved to Ohio in fall of 2015. Down in N.C I built a really nice 6x8ft chicken coop with rough cut pine siding from my buddy Ericks sawmill. Well I finally got around to building a chicken coop here in Ohio.

Armed with thoughts of what I would do better this go round I thought up my plans in my head and got to work. I decided board and batten siding this time and got a hold of Rusty who has a Woodmizer and lives a few miles down the road from me. I had him mill up enough board and battens to side the coop. He had a bunch of maple, so that's what I used.

Meanwhile I got going on the framing. Plan was a 10ft d x12ft w coop that I could partition off inside to have a small storage area. Using 2x8's for the floor and framing it like you would a house. I got her framed up after work over 2 or 3 nights with the help of my neighbor Lou. And as soon as the rough cut was delivered I got to work siding. I left the battens off over the summer because it was warm and I didn't need them on yet and my wife wanted me to replace the deck. I ordered metal roofing from a place called Grabers in Glenford Ohio about 8 miles from me. Over all ive been lucky to have met and done business with a few Mennonites that live near me. Both Rusty and Grabers.

Roof on, siding up, nesting boxes built and roosting bars in, I built a run on the side about 10x12ft but the birds free range nearly everyday. So that brings me pretty much up to date. I'll share a few photos and update as I go.

Attached Files:

2. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Looks good... :binoculars:... How many do you have? I'm currently sitting with 11 hens and 1 rooster... I'll probably thin mine down to 1/2 before long..

clay shooter, Chaz, overactor and 4 others like this.
  3. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Nice looking setup! I have occasionally toyed with the idea of keeping chickens but it is really not practical with the space I have available.

4. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Like the pics of your son.

metalcuttr, brenndatomu, Chaz and 2 others like this.
  5. overactor

overactor

Thank you. He loves the chickens. We have 8 hens and 1 rooster currently l. I've lost 4 hens this year to raccoons or mink or something of the likes before the coop was really secure. We will probably add a few more. We had 16 in N.C.

6. overactor

overactor

Battens going on, window trimmed, door trimmed. And we went and picked some apples. It's been a great day.

Going to buck some logs in a few. Someone bought a few acres across from my property to build a house and had it logged for a driveway. They only took mill logs and left everything else, and told me to take everything I want. Anyone want to have an impromptu GTG tomorrow? Lol this is going to be a great scrounge.

Attached Files:

7. Chaz

Chaz

Nice coop, and congrats on the wood score.
    :thumbs: