In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New Bathroom Project

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Fanatical1, May 27, 2014.

  1. Fanatical1

    Fanatical1

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2014
    Messages:
    2,688
    Likes Received:
    12,293
    Location:
    Ohio
    Between cutting firewood with my girls this spring, we are also working on adding a third bathroom upstairs which was really needed. We had this large closest off an upstairs bedroom that we are converting to a bathroom. I was going to put in a fiberglass shower, but couldn't fit it throughout the existing small doors, so it forced me into building a shower with tile. It's been a long project, but we're nearing the finish line now.



    image.jpg
     
    milleo, jetjr, Chvymn99 and 5 others like this.
  2. smoke show

    smoke show

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,983
    Likes Received:
    13,948
    Location:
    Pittsfield, Wi
    Nice! Is that a beer I spy?
     
  3. Fanatical1

    Fanatical1

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2014
    Messages:
    2,688
    Likes Received:
    12,293
    Location:
    Ohio
    Yep, needed to review my work....
     
  4. cnice_37

    cnice_37

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,211
    Likes Received:
    14,236
    Location:
    SE Mass
    Very nice, like the choice in tile.

    Did you form the shower pan yourself?

    I am going to add a shower to our downstairs 1/2 bath. Thinking tile all the way except the pan as it seems intimidating if I screw it up.
     
    jetjr likes this.
  5. Fanatical1

    Fanatical1

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2014
    Messages:
    2,688
    Likes Received:
    12,293
    Location:
    Ohio
    Tile was from HD. Used cement board on the floor then rubber membrane from the floor up a couple feet on the sides, then cement board on the ceilings and walls and then concrete on the floor to create the pitch to the drain.

    I would get some good advice on doing the pan yourself and just do it.

    b1.jpeg


    b2.jpeg

    b3.jpeg

    b4.jpeg
     
    don2222, cnice_37 and smoke show like this.
  6. cnice_37

    cnice_37

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,211
    Likes Received:
    14,236
    Location:
    SE Mass
    OK... I'm listening. :popcorn:
     
    Fanatical1 likes this.
  7. Fanatical1

    Fanatical1

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2014
    Messages:
    2,688
    Likes Received:
    12,293
    Location:
    Ohio
    Noo. Not me.... I'm not plumber or a tile guy, but did stay at a Holiday Inn Express before. :rofl: :lol:

    I'm learning just like you. :)
     
    cnice_37 likes this.
  8. eatonpcat

    eatonpcat

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    10,283
    Likes Received:
    58,506
    Location:
    Eaton Township, OH
    Fanatical1 likes this.
  9. Fanatical1

    Fanatical1

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2014
    Messages:
    2,688
    Likes Received:
    12,293
    Location:
    Ohio
    That looks like a great idea....I assume its customized for various dimensions. I never looked into anything other than
    the old school method..
     
  10. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    Fanatic, Congratulations! Good looking job you did on your bath.
    I have done a bath myself and the same, installing a full shower
    tile floor and walls. Mine way all subways tile, I like yours better!
     
    Fanatical1 likes this.