In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New Arvika

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by KSPlainsman, Feb 28, 2023.

1. KSPlainsman

KSPlainsman

So, I had heard about these axes a few years back, but never really paid them much attention, since I was pretty much a Fiskars guy at the time. I got to looking the other day and saw that they are discontinued and figured I'd best try to find 1, or 2. This is by far the most I've ever spent on an axe, but seeing it in person, they really are pretty nice.

As if a chainsaw addiction wasn't enough. I need to get this axe thing under control, before it gets out of hand. Lol

IMG_20230228_180233_157.jpg IMG_20230228_180255_547.jpg

Hickory45, Timberdog, Ron T and 14 others like this.
  2. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Nice looking axe. I like the longer cutting edge for splitting vs the Fiskars. I had a Collins brand axe with a similar head, but pounding wedges in ruined it. If you dont mind my asking what was the price?

Mag Craft, metalcuttr, Camber and 3 others like this.
  3. KSPlainsman

KSPlainsman

I wondered if it was going to be better for splitting with the larger bit, even though the profile isn't the best for splitting. How did your Collins do in locust? The Council Tool FE6 is the largest bit I've used. I'll have to compare the 2 and see bow close they are in size, and function.

I tried to buy 2, but someone must've beat me to it because I got an email a day later saying they cancelled 1 and shipped 1. Anyway, the total was $278, with tax and shipping.

4. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Collins did great splitting easy wood. Id switch up quite often between it and the X27/X25. Not so much the weight but the longer cutting edge i liked.

Thats a lot of money for and axe and no way i could bring myself to spend that much being the cheap SOB i am. If you keep buying them we may have to have an intervention, but from this group highly unlikely.

I know Midwinter and LordOfTheFlies have pricey European axes as well. Maybe if i was gifted one.

metalcuttr and KSPlainsman like this.
  5. KSPlainsman

KSPlainsman

Yeah, this group of enablers aren't stopping anything. Lol ;-)

I'm fairly cheap myself, but we only live once. I've spent money on substantially worse stuff than an axe. Lol It may take me awhile before I put it in wood.

6. RCBS

RCBS

I've never ponied up for a top shelf axe. Don't want to get myself started. My workaround is to look for old heads at flea markets and yard sales. Usually can be had cheap. Clean em up, re-haft and sharpen. Have a couple Michigans waiting for a vinegar bath whenever I get around to them. Maybe someday I'll even make my own handles.

Mag Craft, metalcuttr and KSPlainsman like this.
  7. KSPlainsman

KSPlainsman

That seems to be the route for a lot of folks and that's awesome! I'm not much of a hunter like that I guess. Spent too many years getting drug around to auctions and all that when I was young.

I'm not made of money, so that should slow the process of buying expensive axes pretty quick. Lol

8. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

I would have to agree with you KSPlainsman that is one nice looking Axe.

I am like RCBS and look around for old axe heads that I can re-handle myself. I started making my own handles and I have to say it is very satisfying and keeps the hands busy doing something productive. Besides I started making my handles a little shorter now that I am getting older. Makes them easier to control.

Hickory45, metalcuttr, Ron T and 2 others like this.