In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New and improved now with titanium!!!

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Diesel 4 life, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Diesel 4 life

Diesel 4 life

It’s like stihl saws :bug:

2. Horkn

Horkn

I won't be buying the sabre chains, but I know I have a couple Bailey's chains on the way...

Maybe I should look in the case with the 029super? I found my sharpened 16" .325 chain for that in the chainsawing bucket boss. That's where all the chains need to go.

Diesel 4 life and Fifelaker like this.
  3. Horkn

Horkn

Titanium is several times stronger than SS., As well as lighter than SS, and lighter than steel.

4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Thank you.

Diesel 4 life, Horkn and eatonpcat like this.
  5. Ward Hoarder

Ward Hoarder

A little over 3 years on my new hip. One of the best things I've done. No regrets.

6. Fifelaker

Fifelaker

I had my hip replaced in 2002, no issues to date. Different metals have different property's in different conditions. A grade 8 bolt is weaker in shear than grade 5, but stronger in tensile strength.

7. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

I've had 3 done so far so this would be my 4th.

Stlshrk, Diesel 4 life and Horkn like this.
  8. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Wow...I got shorted on the assembly line my friend...I only got two!!

9. VOLKEVIN

VOLKEVIN

My disclaimer for carbon fiber: my expert knowledge is limited to plates, nails, and spinal rods & screws.
    I do know the results of the biomechanical testing when compared with metal for modulus of elasticity and fatigue strength comparisons; but I’d take metal on my saw chain for the cutting purposes all day!
    The other clinical benefits to carbon fiber implants for orthopedic uses include radiolucency (you can see through it on x-ray, allowing postoperative visualization of fracture healing or tumor progression/regression; and you can do an artifact-free MRI/CT and have no backscatter or perturbation effects on radiation beams, allowing for precise, accurate pre-radiation planning and ultimately delivery of targeted radiation to a tumor site. We also had a study presented at a big meeting recently that showed when compared to an all-metal construct, the carbon fiber tibial nail patients were radigraphically determined to be healed between 5-6 weeks faster than metal implant patients. It’s great to be part of such a breakthrough technology, knowing that we are helping people heal faster.

Casper, Horkn and Diesel 4 life like this.
  10. VOLKEVIN

VOLKEVIN

Are you John Deere “Green” with envy? :rofl: :lol:

Horkn and Diesel 4 life like this.
  11. Horkn

Horkn

Yes, CF has it's applications. Even in some stressed applications such as motorcycle/ car wheels, subframes on bikes, etc, it will work, and work well when it has the correct formulation. There's a lot to it. Weave/ strand orientation, addition of other materials etc. However for wheels, you need to have these inspected ( x Ray I think) semi regularly to ensure that the wheels are not cracking.

Ah, the time I tried a CF ride plate on my sport PWC. The stock was aluminum. This one was much more aggressive with it's chining. It worked awesome until it broke clean off. It was held on with about 10 or so flush mounted machine screws, just like the stock one. I wasn't doing any crazy jumps either, just flat water inland lake stuff. It really made the ski handle even better, until it broke off.

I contacted the manufacturer, and they apologized, and sent me a replacement. It broke off just like the first, in as short of a time. I put the stock one back on, and that was the end of that.

Diesel 4 life likes this.
  12. Casper

Casper

What is the infection rate with carbon fiber? I have a vested interest in the answer. 20191028_085959.jpg

Horkn, Diesel 4 life and eatonpcat like this.
  13. chris

chris

Geeze that looks like me back in the late 80'safter being crunched by a truck

14. VOLKEVIN

VOLKEVIN

I see you have a DePuy Synthes Tibial Nail EX (in titanium).
    Here’s the long and the short of it- there’s not a perfect answer due to biological factors when it comes to infection. However, the governing educational body of Orthopedics worldwide is a Swiss organization called the AO, short for Arbeitsgemeinschaft fur Osteosynthesefragen. Several years back they did a study on biofilm growth on stainless steel, titanium and carbon fiber, and the results were interesting: if they machined the three discs of material equally to the same surface texture, they grew the same amount of bacteria. However, they noted 2 advantages to carbon fiber “final product” implants- 1) the final product of a carbon fiber implant is smoother on the surface, lessening the chance of adhesion of bacteria; and 2) the manufacturing method of carbon fiber implants make them completely non-porous, so bacteria can’t work it’s way into and hide inside the implant.

Feel free to P.M. me and I can give you more info. I’m happy to help!

15. Jon_E

Jon_E

Fixed that for yah.