In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Need some help.

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by FatBoy85, Mar 13, 2017.

1. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Little bit of work this evening. I'm a leg and azz man. This thing has a bigg azz.
    IMG_3772.JPG IMG_3773.JPG IMG_3776.JPG
    Now that she's on some legs, looking at this thing is definitely why I put down such a large hearth.

yooperdave, TBONE, Thor and 3 others like this.
  2. HDRock

HDRock

The installers are going to drag that in the house for you right?
    Where is the air control I don't see anything sticking out there

Well Seasoned likes this.
  3. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I'm staying home for the install. Hang on let me get my "fire in the hole" done first...

Hah! Psyche!
    IMG_3778.JPG
    One really great thing about this is that the firebox is 1.9 cu ft. Im gonna address this as a "big one". Remember those expensive bundles of hardwood from the cabinet makers I bought? They slide in like a blue-point oyster.
    I can only fathom how this thing will look rolling.
    As for HDRock here's the doohickey. IMG_3780.JPG

Thor, Well Seasoned and HDRock like this.
  4. HDRock

HDRock

I like that doohickey it doesn't stick out.
    Take that piece of wood on the left put it east west cross the top

5. Kimberly

Kimberly

Nice. What stove is this? And what is in that little white cup?

Well Seasoned and FatBoy85 like this.
  6. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

hehe I wanted to get this thing outside and lit so bad but Im talking my weight in a stove and that's with the brick out! Doh. Well the hunt for Black October has begun.

Thor, Well Seasoned and HDRock like this.
  7. HDRock

HDRock

Looks like it's in your garage get some furniture sliders stick under the legs and slide it outside

8. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Timberwolf 2200 Kimberly, she's large. By my standards she's large. Haha! I made these firestarters last week. Raked up some oak sawdust and put it in a bucket for the majority of this summer. Grabbed about 1000 of these 2 oz cups you can find for condiments at a cash and carry or restaurant supply store, filled about halfway and then a spoonful of melted paraffin wax. I ended up making about 100 of these last week. I use them in my pit too. Nice to get the fire just starting and then roll out to pick out the wood while its still heating up. IMG_3781.JPG IMG_3782.JPG IMG_3783.JPG

9. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

It kinda hard to do that. If I get it outside Id really have to get it far away from the house.
    I thought I could wheel it out with the hand cart but seeing me do a backwards half cartwheel trying to counter this thing was comedy. Id need a hand with this and likely to get one middle of the week.

10. Kimberly

Kimberly

Neat idea on the fire starters. She is a purdy stove; I wanted a stove on legs but the pedestal stove I have isn't so bad.

11. HDRock

HDRock

Hey wait for some help but why do you need to get far away from the house the fire is contained in the stove all you have is smoke coming out the stove pipe on top, it won't blow up or nothing

12. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I really can't stress to ya how much of a bargain she was. So I bought everything online at that moment and the legs have always been those things that were appealing. I believe I get it from watching the fires at my grandmothers and parents growing up. The andirons in the fireplace had the two legs and I spent a lot of time watching fire.

13. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Oh its not like im super worried but the distance between my neighbors house and mine is small its like 15-20 feet apart not like Im waiting for this thing to blow. Just that the wind whips a little around here and wanna keep sparks clear of the house. So if I were gonna light this up, Id want it on the back yard just enough past the house.

14. HDRock

HDRock

The only way you going to see sparks coming out of there is if you put a bunch of paper in it maybe.
    You got a way better chance Sparks coming out of your fire pit than that stove

FatBoy85 likes this.
  15. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Well thats true but i wasn't gonna install the baffle until they get it in the house.

16. HDRock

HDRock

Same deal you have a fire starter and some wood in it, long as you don't put a bunch of paper in there it's not going to throw Sparks out

FatBoy85 likes this.
  17. Warner

Warner

Progress! She is a big girl! You will be sittin in your skivies this winter.
    I made a bunch of ghise started last year. Now I just buy the Rutland safe starts. I'm chea I chop them in half.
    You definetly want to have a fire in the stove before you bring it it the house or it will stink like hell the first fire you have one.

milleo and FatBoy85 like this.
  18. Kimberly

Kimberly

I started to do that with my Madison then I changed my mind. I was surprised that it did not off-gas that much. However, it will depend on the paint.

FatBoy85 likes this.
  19. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

That's my intent plus with the child involved, I'm looking to getting this ready AMAP before its brought into the house and while the weather is still favorable. Cooling down but rain is not as likely.

20. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Probably the main reason why I bought the thing was I got tired of feeling the cold and damp even as the main electric heater would run in the den. Got a good amount of shorts for both my daughter and I.
    Not to mention I had a dehumidifier running as well and often I would move that from room to room. Hassle Hockey. Now Id just rather keep the warmer temps for most of the house and keep windows open in the bedroom.
    Im sorry the ghise starter Warner ? I was just wondering what they are.

Yeah I think I bought those rutland starters too. I actually started stocking up on not only wood but hey firestarters are great to hoard too! Even finding the fat wood in pine is a great find. So I have all kinds plus plenty of tinder and kindling style stuff. That's the number one mistake I had made while living here the first year, no dry kindling but the wood would have been ok. Best that I was scrounging for simple stuff at the lumber yard toss out bins, they had poplar boards and doug fir stickers that were thin and easy to break down. Got plenty now that I won't have to redo for some time.

Warner likes this.