In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Need some help.

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by FatBoy85, Mar 13, 2017.

1. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I don't find the pedestals attractive. Makes the stove look like a mailbox.

brenndatomu, wildwest and yooperdave like this.
  2. Highbeam

Highbeam

I burn the paint off inside when hooked up to the chimney. No big deal, open a window if you must. Can't see how it would hurt to do it outside but know that it is not required.

Sean, papadave and wildwest like this.
  3. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

The writing in the manual first page inside says that during paint cure a non toxic smoke may be emitted. I would probably just handle it outside on a good day. Get some pipe and get it ready.

Sean and wildwest like this.
  4. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

My $0.02 pedestals are a pita to get bark/dust, in our case stray dog kibble and goldfish crackers out from underneath much less a spilled juice box etc.
    x2, also with repainting.

yooperdave and FatBoy85 like this.
  5. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Too bad woodstoves don't have a small trash hopper for those instances. Not that you'd want to but the temps in there get close to incineration...

wildwest likes this.
  6. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

leg man 'eh? ;)

FatBoy85, Oldman47 and wildwest like this.
  7. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Yeah they go ALL the way up.

brenndatomu likes this.
  8. Highbeam

Highbeam

Both of my current stoves are on pedestals. It's actually easier and cleaner since nothing can go under the stove and there is no cleaning. Aesthetically, sure legs look nice but functionally I've found pedestal mounts to be superior.

bushpilot and FatBoy85 like this.
  9. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Kimberly I was doing some re-evaluation on the R values and so far for this stove, there's no requirement for the hearth except basically ember control. With mentioning brick as a thermal wall here, the brick I may use to build the wall may also be sufficient in being the heatth as well. The decision will be if the brick is ample for this. It is a different brick, I hope to have a photo on the phone here. IMG_1622.JPG

May I ask how much your stove pipe was for? I know I see a lot of it on CL and the like but Im not really a master of such builds and the installation is often done from the ground up here. If I watch how it is done, maybe I will learn how to do it next time.

Im just a grasshopper here. Not a stranger to burning but to a wood stove, Im greener than willow cut in the early spring.

10. Kimberly

Kimberly

My best find was the through the wall kit I got off of ebay. I brought it for a third of what Lowe's wanted. Of course it is better to not go through the wall but I could not go through the roof due to my double-wide home not having regular roof trusses; Plus, the vaulted ceiling in the room meant no space in the attic to work. I also found a couple of three foot sections on ebay. Then I got a good deal on a two foot section from Menards. I brought the roof guy at Menards on sale as well; Lowe's did not carry or offer the roof guy and that is important if you are over a certain height. I also talked Lowe's into giving a discount on some dented sections. So I have a mix of three foot sections, then I go to a two foot and then a one foot section. I think I used a two foot section to go through the wall because I increased the offset to clear the narrow eave I have. I documented this on here but you may have to search through my posts.

FatBoy85 likes this.
  11. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I managed to get another estimator out to put (hopefully) this task to rest, I arrived home to him checking out the chimney as I had work for a few hours.
    He presented me with some good news, the chimney could be a viable option providing a check in the house level part of the brick. If that is found in good working condition, he said the SS liner can be put in and Bob's your uncle.

He also said he will do an estimate for the class A stovepipe through the roof option as well but told me that the chimney option is my best bet for a simple install and better on the wallet. What the this estimator said just countered just about everything the other estimator said as far as the chimney being usable. After the estimate is drawn up for me, the chimney check will go from there and then he said the build gets started from there.

Getting a bit closer here.

Sean, Oldman47 and HDRock like this.
  12. HDRock

HDRock

:popcorn:

Sean, milleo and FatBoy85 like this.
  13. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

IMG_2438.jpg
    Here's a snapshot of the quote. What I was expecting was a quote that involved both sections of building. He said he would put a side by side quote of the chimney thimble install and then through the roof install but that wasn't done. I have asked for this just recently as he sent this to me today. What do you guys think? Should I get another opinion or let my homeowners insurance know what to expect? I'm a little bit apprehensive as the chimney was first an option and he didn't list it. This is the Vice President of this company and he discussed with an installer on how he believes this is the most cost-effective way, which is actually opposite to what he said here doing the estimate. Just hope to get some critique here. Thanks in advance!

14. milleo

milleo

Wow...Price to me is insane...I just scanned their quote and am no shape to really analyse it but I put a full class A Selkirk chimney out through the wall then up for about 700.00 bucks but I did it myself...I am 65 year old female probably was about 58 when I installed and also built my own hearth...You need o be more proactive and do this stuff...If I can anyone can...:eek:

yooperdave, Warner and FatBoy85 like this.
  15. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Well first of all, I have no idea what I am doing, I could build this but what I don't have is the experience to do so. I think it is quite high and the part about this is that a liner for a stove about 15' is only about $3-400. If I can get that in there, I would do it absolutely. Trouble is I have no idea where to begin. Forgive me for sounding clueless but Im just a rookie here. I thank you for the advice I believe it is quite high. If anything I was hoping this would be about half the price and that's it. No bs and slide the liner down the chimney, hook up the thimble(whilst beforehand drill through brick and line up the liner) elbow pieces and all that and light the stove. Trust me I want to cut costs here but since no one home is the same, its not always the same step by step....

16. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Straight up through the roof is the best if you can pull it off. Through the existing chimney should be cheaper, unless there are some unusual circumstances.
    That looks pretty high to me...but I'm a tight wad and almost always DIY. My insulated liner kit for my stove in the fireplace was $400 (but I did get a great deal too)
    Did I read that right? 3' of stove pipe and 5' of chimney pipe...awfully short...most stoves call for 15' total chimney height minimum.

FatBoy85 and milleo like this.
  17. milleo

milleo

I would go on the internet and study,study study...Best of luck...

18. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

My house roof isn't that tall...

19. Warner

Warner

You go girl!

Watch some u tube vids and have at it. I have found that a lot of "professionals" in all fields don't care much about your house as much as you would even though you pay them a good chunk of change. I trust no one to cut holes in my house unless they come on good word from a friend or family.

FatBoy85 and milleo like this.
  20. FatBoy85

FatBoy85