In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Need help from you plumbing types

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Marshel54, Jun 26, 2021.

1. Marshel54

Marshel54

Still in the design stage.
    Project: Controlling water to 2 spitter at each end of a very small ornamental pond. Pump outlet is 3/4".

Option 1: Come off of pump with a Tee and install a ball valve on each line going to the spitters.

Option 2: Come off the pump with a Cross and install a ball valve in each leg. Two going to the spitters and the other dumping in the pond.

I believe option 2 will give me better control. Compounding the problem the setup is going to be solar. Sould be able to handle that.
    An electrician I am, not a plumber.

wildwest and Jack Straw like this.
  2. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I'd go option 1...option 2 just makes it harder to balance things IMO...and ball valves aren't good at fine adjustments, a gate valve would be easier in that regard.

3. Horkn

Horkn

I'd go #1 as well. Gate vales are much better for adjustments

wildwest and Jack Straw like this.
  4. lukem

lukem

Option 1.5. Use the cross but use gate valves in each, including back to the pond. You may smoke the pump if you can't dump some pressure back into the pond,,,,or have too high of a fountain.

Marshel54, Horkn and brenndatomu like this.
  5. PA Mountain Man

PA Mountain Man

Mrs PMM put a small (600+/- gallon pond in our back yard. Started with 1 pump for a waterfall and 3 small fountains. Ball valves worked great to control flow, but we soon discovered we needed more flow to help control algae. 5 years into it and the lily pads, water grasses and fish are thrivin. We even have baby fishes.
    Brush up on your water chemistry. Ph, nitrites, nitrates, beneficial bacteria...
    And shade. Too much sun heats the water and and reduces oxygen.
    Enjoy the journey.:thumbs:

don2222, brenndatomu and Marshel54 like this.