In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Need help deciding

Discussion in 'OWB's and Gasification Boilers' started by Redfin, Jul 25, 2016.

1. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

Do you have access to natural gas? In the end, natural gas is the the most convenient and very highly environmentally friendly. IWB/OWB are only moderately "green" considering how much 2-stroke and other small engine gas we burn to get our "carbon neutral" wood supply and considering how much particulates will go out the stack. So, if you are asking me, if you have access to natural gas, that's the clear winner. If not, I have no idea how propane, IWB, OWB, etc. would comparre.

2. Gary_602z

Gary_602z

Might want to check with your insurance company and any local regulations before committing either way. it is getting to where there are regulations on when and where you fart!

Gary

mike bayerl likes this.
  3. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Guess I'm quite the rebel then...:D

Tundra likes this.
  4. Heat550

Heat550

You guys know what Heatmors are right. It's a semi closed system . I got a bigger one in 2015 .. 400,000 BTU . I haven't added any water in 3 years . I had a 200,000 BTU before this one 19 years .
    I'm heating 6600 spft it's a conventional boiler. Burn about 12-15 cord year in central Minnesota. Not much fuss about what I burn it's a 2 fan draft 146 cfm each one on each end of stove . Simple design all works flawless. Whole stove is 409 stainless. I made sure I got a conventional boiler because last one worked so good . 155 gallon boiler. Heats like total monster. No smoke issues either only startup like any stove . I think Heatmor perfected the conventional boiler. Heating 2 house and a shop. I even run boiler 140f warm weather 160f cold weather 180f if we get polar Vortex . It's like this it does the job well . I can stuff green wood in it in a pinch yes it will burn .
    To add about semi closed system. It has 16 inch tiretube on top of tank for water expansion. And a round rubber ball on the top of pipe that comes out the top of tank . Pretty simple huh tube holds about 18 gallons for expansion. It's simple easy to deal with . Tube is empty when there's no fire. Change tire tube about every 5 years. I have went 7 years before. Hoses on water cooled door I use blue semi hose silicone hose that I had for 3 years still soft no issues. But catch to this stove is it's a conventional and you have to hunt for a used one . They make EPA stoves but I have never dealt with them.

Heat550

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

brenndatomu likes this.