In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Need advice for a L. Lange wood stove

Discussion in 'Non-EPA Woodstoves and Fireplaces' started by Therese, Jan 10, 2021.

1. yooperdave

yooperdave

There's gratitude for you.......... :picard:

2. Therese

Therese

I'm not sure I understand

3. yooperdave

yooperdave

First off, welcome aboard.

Now, when do you expect delivery of the new stove? Pics? Info of the new stove? It looks like you may need to address the R-value of the floor underneath the stove? Can't really tell what you have there now for a hearth pad as the pic is to dark.

I think in the owners manual of the stove you chose to purchase (which can be found online) it will state the requirements for the hearth pad. This eliminates heat transfer to the floor while the stove is in use.

Venting setup is also a huge concern. Along with these, what condition if your firewood in? Meaning, just how long has it been drying or seasoned?
    Have you any experience with heating by wood?

Congrats on the purchase of the house!

Therese and Horkn like this.
  4. Therese

Therese

1. New stove coming March or April (ordered in Oct., delay due to pandemic)
    2. That black pad is too small. I'm going to buy a larger one and then put the stone on top (centered, symmetrical, prettier). What I have now is not safe, imo. However, I have an old pot right under the legs to 'catch' any embers that might get stuck in the seam. I'm very careful
    3. I purchased seasoned wood 3 years ago and it's been stored and is dry. I've found a few (scant few) pieces that aren't good anymore. Most of it is great.
    4. No experience whatsoever. My father was frightened of fire (he was in WWII and went everywhere - returned back to the US when war ended and there was a fire in the harbor on his ship. It sort of scared him for life about fire. Like many men - he signed up with friends. So, the fire also took friends).

I think I"m doing okay. My big problem is that I get so many embers in the stove - I have to let it burn down after a few hours. I find this annoying. TBH, I wish I had purchased a bigger stove. Not just because of the embers, but because the size of the wood I have to use (even now - and I think my stove is wider that the Jotul) will be so small.

OTOH, I don't want to overpower the house/small room with a huge stove.

5. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

You mean coals?
    Just pull the coals forward and open the air controls up...if you need more heat during this time period just put some dry pine on top of the coals...that will provide some heat without adding to the coaling issue. Doesn't have to be pine...any wood that doesn't tend to coal up heavily will do...

Therese likes this.