In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

need a new smoker

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by rek, Feb 12, 2019.

1. rek

rek

Hi folks,
    I’ve been using a Cabelas charcoal smoker for over 30 years. It’s just a can with a cover, charcoal pan at the bottom, water pan in the middle, and grates on top. I use a lot of Apple branches and some bags of chips once in a while. I smoked wild turkeys, and a lot of fish in it, and it’s been great, but starting to rust up and getting bent up a bit. What do you recommend for a replacement? I never really looked at the different types - hot smokers, cold smokers, electric, etc., but if you were smoking mostly fish , turkeys and venison, what would you select?
    I apologize if there is already a thread on this, but if there is maybe you could point it out.

Thanks

Chvymn99, NortheastAl, leoht and 2 others like this.
  2. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

ive been eyeing the Kamado and the Big Green Egg style smokers.
    i already have a couple big cookers. the small size wood/charcoal would be great

MikeyB, Chvymn99, NortheastAl and 3 others like this.
  3. BHags

BHags

I've said this before. I smoke everything on my Weber Kettle grill. Run a snake of charcoal, add wood, close the cover. I use it all year as either a grill or smoker.

4. fox9988

fox9988

I have a big homemade wood fired smoker at home, would never be without it. Takes about an hour to get it ready to cook. Food needs covered with foil after about an hour of smoke, then it can be left for up to 12 hours, temp falls after that. Bones fall out of ribs. Roasts can be cut with a fork.
    At the fire station we us an electric smoker. Set the temp/timer/fill the water pan/fill with wood chips occasionally/use the heat probe if desired/etc. Bluetooth if you want. Very handy.
    They are two different beasts. I prefer food off the wood fired but the electric is cheap and easy.
    Google Ugly Drum Smoker. So many options.

Chvymn99, NortheastAl, leoht and 2 others like this.
  5. Nick&Lissa

Nick&Lissa

I’ve had my eyes on a Weber Kettle grill for a hot minute. Would love some tips!
    ~Lissa :)

Chvymn99, NortheastAl, leoht and 3 others like this.
  6. BHags

BHags

Make sure it has a thermometer, and the cook top sides turn up so you can add charcoal when needed. Get a charcoal chimney for starting the charcoal with news paper, not fluid. And very important, never have so many beers you forget to check the grill and burn your supper!

7. rek

rek

Checking out these
    checking out these ugly drum smokers! Looks like a fun project, and my son has a welder. That might be in my future. Thanks!!

Chvymn99, NortheastAl, g60gti and 4 others like this.
  8. fox9988

fox9988

If I didn’t have a smoker, I’d be all over a UDS.

Chvymn99, NortheastAl, g60gti and 3 others like this.
  9. g60gti

g60gti

I built one a few years back. It was a fun project for sure and it cooks really well. It’s amazingly efficient and holds temps much more stable than I though it would. I used ideas from a whole bunch of different places. Let me know if you have any questions. I also have a electric smoker which sees a lot of use in the cold weather as it’s pretty much set it and forget it, and I have a kamodo style which I grill on a lot but have yet to try a smoke on.

030B709B-ED3D-4E81-A970-5C9B1278F0D6.jpeg

10. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Like the paint job. :rofl: :lol:

11. g60gti

g60gti

Thanks. Thought pink would be cool because mostly pork gets cooked in there, came out pretty bright though. I have a Weber kettle lid I’ve been meaning to adapt to fit, got a cool paint idea for that too.

12. rek

rek

Oh yeah, that looks like a fun project. Maybe bigger than I need, though. If you were to smoke a 20 pound turkey or 3 or 4 salmon, would it be overkill.

Chvymn99, NortheastAl and g60gti like this.
  13. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

I've been using an 18.5" Weber Bullet for 20 years or so. No complaints at all. The Webers are a pretty solid unit. Its probably similar to what you have.

14. g60gti

g60gti

I don’t think so. I’ve fired it up for just a rack of ribs once and two smaller steelhead. My charcoal basket is a bit overkill, it’ll hold a 18 pound bag plus about 5 pounds of chunked wood no problem. Had a load like that last 30 hours. May make a smaller basket one day. Here’s a few more pictures for you.
    056F7EFF-43C7-4F80-9F22-F0F1FA9F2026.jpeg 4E4E3149-3B03-4CC2-A823-4CF0D4EFE63C.jpeg 6A33FFAB-73F6-4390-B86B-6816EA987042.jpeg

BHags, Chvymn99, rek and 1 other person like this.
  15. rek

rek

Thanks, now I’m getting some ideas. I think I’ll start looking for a barrel!

Chvymn99 likes this.
  16. fuelrod

fuelrod

I usually like to make my own, but I wanted an insulated model that I could use in the cooler temps. Got one of these coming next week. :ups: 41Xf8keDMPL.01_SL400_.jpg
    Nice little unit they say good for 2 butt's or a handfull of chicken. It's a charcoal smoker.

While "surfing" around I came across quite a few nice UDS "kits" that have some ready to go hardware, vents - fire basket, etc. but no drum for about $130. If I didn't have my other smoker I'd build a drum using one of those kits.

Chaz, SKEETER McCLUSKEY and fox9988 like this.
  17. BHags

BHags

Looks more like a refrigerator !

18. fuelrod

fuelrod

.....now that you mention it. :rofl: :lol:

Chaz and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  19. g60gti

g60gti

Nice shiny red smoker fuelrod. You’ll have to post up some of the food it produces when you get it up and running.

Any updates rek, did you decide on a new smoker? Backyard beer and bbq season is upon us!

Chaz likes this.
  20. fuelrod

fuelrod

Dang it, the fed ex guy needs a sig. and We missed him today. Do they run on Saturday's?
    41Xf8keDMPL.01_SL400_.jpg
    Fingers crossed that they do.

Chvymn99 and Chaz like this.