In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

My very first saw

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by ImGunnar, Jun 20, 2024.

1. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Isnt that the pot calling the kettle black? :eek: :rofl: :lol:

2. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Its mostly to reduce pullback on the starter rope. I only use it on my higher CC saws.

As far as I know it doesnt affect the saws ability to start.

3. Erik B

Erik B

I use the decomp on my 362 when I first start it. Once warmed up, I don't use it on restarts.

4. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Gunnar, I've had many saws ported by all different guys. Typical to see a 30-40% faster cut speed before and after in the same log, same chain etc. Cost has changed since I've had it done I'm sure but most expensive was $300 plus shipping. Basically the port timing is changed, the ports themselves are opened up a bit to allow more flow, ignition timing is changed, sometimes different intakes and carbs can be utilized (which will cost more $$) to get more from certain models and a few other mods. Mufflers are usually altered, which makes 'em louder. You can discuss with builder if this would be undesired. I have one that I put a stock muffler on and it still runs like a typical ported saw without all the screaming dB.
    Here's before and after vids of my 346XP.

Here's the same log with a more aggressive chain.

5. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Porting is where intake and exhaust are opened up, creating more and better air/gas flow thru engine, also a few other tricks are done to the saw.
    huskihl lives there in MI, he does a great job on porting. You gain at least 40% more HP on that 4910. Ours doesn't hardly know the 20" bar is on it.
    Here's 2 videos of our Echo XS4910

MAF143, RCBS, huskihl and 10 others like this.
  6. JD Guy

JD Guy

@Gunnar My honest opinion is forget about porting, etc for a few years. In fact you may find that you want to save the expense and your saw cuts just fine for what you’re doing. Before I start getting rotten tomatoes thrown at me let me also say that I would really like a ported saw. For what I do my stock,saws cut just fine though.

More important to get comfortable with your saw and use good safety practices as well as keeping your equipment well maintained. A sharp chain is critical, so learn how to file, while learning you may need to take your chains to a shop for sharpening.

If down the road you want a hopped up chip slinger then go for it!

7. Horkn

Horkn

Great point. If you're new to chainsaws, just stock will be totally fine. Now after you've gotten familiar with it, then maybe porting is a good idea. You have to get enough use out of a particular saw to have porting make sense.

8. ImGunnar

ImGunnar

I definitely get and agree with what you’re saying Forsure. It was more of I didn’t know what it was or how I would go about getting one ported

9. ImGunnar

ImGunnar

Thanks for explanation and those videos are awesome!

10. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

X2 ImGunnar

If you had to cut a boatload of wood in a short amount of time and do it all the time then porting is the way to go. The guys here have been wanting me to port a saw or five of mine, but my reasoning is I don't often burn through two tanks of mix in a cutting session.

Yes, learn how to sharpen your chain. It's a skill that should go hand in hand with using the saw. Plenty of good info out there and on FHC as well.

JD Guy, ImGunnar, T.Jeff Veal and 7 others like this.
  11. Screwloose

Screwloose

So has anyone mentioned the "3 saw plan" yet?? Usually that's the next step.

Stick around a while any we'll get to all the way to tractor's, grapples..............

Mrxlh, ImGunnar, T.Jeff Veal and 10 others like this.
  12. Chud

Chud

I went from 2 saws to 12 in no time and then took it to a new level with a Kubota and grapple. My next level is a 1 ton dump and trailer to haul the Kubota. The hampster wheel is real :rofl: :lol:

13. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

How many saws did you own when you joined FHC?

14. Chud

Chud

I believe I only had the 260 and 044.

15. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I had my 290 (now sold), 460 and Husky 335.

FHC should sponser a support group for CAD.

Of course I support others in there efforts to acquire more saws. :dex: :saw:

16. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

I have way less than before FHC. Quality over quantity is my stance now days. Ive had over 100 saws and as many as 28 at the same time. :loco: :crazy: I think I'm about down as low as I'm going to go though. I have 3 quality XS ported saws for my main usage and the rest are vintage novelties that are fun to run on occasion. Some have sentimental attachments as well. I have it whittled down to 10 and one of those is nothing more than a long term oil test unit to see how a certain oil protects from rust and corrosion over a couple year time frame.

17. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

My MS660 (clone) with base gasket delete is a crap shoot without using the decomp...might start, might rip the recoil out of your hand (which hurts!) or it may just break the recoil rope...I use the decomp!! Even when using it you have to commit when you go to pull...a half hearted pull, even with decomp on, all too often ends with something happening that doesn't feel the best!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2024
  18. Chud

Chud

I have to use the decomp on my xs371. It feels like my hand or the saw will break if I don’t.

19. Horkn

Horkn

2. Now I own 6. Only 3 run though at the moment. If that makes it better. It doesn't

20. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

I use it religiously on the saw that sports this reading. In fact I had to modify the decomp so it would stay open when pulling it over.

IMG_20231001_095307346~2.jpg

Mrxlh, JD Guy, MAF143 and 6 others like this.