In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

My Split Second was Delivered Today

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by 94BULLITT, Oct 12, 2016.

1. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

I've only split one or two loads onto the trailer. I'd like to get a conveyor. I've looked a craigslist a few times and there is not much out there. All I see 30' hay elevators. I don't need anything that big. I'd like to have something 14' or so. I'm not sure how much longer I am going to sell wood. I might give it up after the splitter pays for itself. I've gotten a lot more efficient at processing wood. I started out trying to cut the logs of the pile but I found out that took too long. Now I lay them out with the tractor and cut most of the way through and roll them over with a cant hook and cut the rest of the way. Now I have a great splitter. Where I feel like I am loosing or wasting time is getting the wood to the splitter. My Dad did a good job keeping the wood to me today. I just wish there was an easier way to get the wood to the splitter. I'm always trying to think how to make things more efficient/ easier. I also got a Mingo Marker to cut down on waste.

Deadwood, HDRock, nobody and 3 others like this.
  2. Kevin in Ohio

Kevin in Ohio

We do most of our splitting in the woods where it falls. Just back it down the trunk and spin them around into the splitter. Then come back another day and load in from both sides, Kind of a wood lane and very few steps to load as you do it from both sides. Just what has worked the best for us on the big stuff. Everyone's system is different as they have different situations/wants.

I gave up trying to find a decent hay elevator as well. I ended up getting a screaming deal from a closing Kmart. 20ft belt conveyor that I converted to a wheel version. I wanted to use it as a conveyor table as well so I had more involved than most. It all ready had the forward reverse. It's just nice to load into something if you have it all in one area. I wanted to be able to use it to unload/load splits from a truck as well to save steps.

This may give you some ideas.

conveyor

fuelrod, HDRock and Eric VW like this.
  3. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

bobdog2o02 is a Mingo Marker spokesperson.....:thumbs:

94BULLITT likes this.
  4. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

When I cut for myself on my property I process the tree were it falls too. Then I stack it on a pallet and move it with the tractor. Then when I need wood I move it to my basement. I have a gargae door in the basement so I pull up there and transfer it to another pallet and move it in with a pallet jack. I don't have enough wood to sell so I buy it by the tri axle load.

Nice job on the elevator. I remember the build thread.

5. dgeesaman

dgeesaman

My thoughts exactly. I find I lose time when I break a finger. :)

6. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

Here is a video of the log lift.

7. basod

basod

That's a well thought out under mount lift

8. basod

basod

Maybe you showed it in another video 94BULLITT but how much distance is there between the foot and wedge fully extended?
    That thing was impressive in that Gum video, and the dual splitter wasn't a slouch either;)

94BULLITT and Naturalgas like this.
  9. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

It accepts a log up to 24''.

I think the wood was actually Hickory. I changed the title. I probably should add annotation. The HF splitter would get the job.

basod and HDRock like this.
  10. basod

basod

No that sure looked and split like gum.
    What I was wondering and maybe you can't measure..is when the foot is fully extended is it nearly touching the wedge?

94BULLITT likes this.
  11. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

The guy's on here said it was gum. I asked the guy (2nd generation logger) that delivered the log and he saw it from 8' away and said hickory. I still have that piece and I going to show it to another logger or his son the next time I see one of them.

The ram can touch the wedge. 24 3/4" is the longest peice that will go on it.

[​IMG]

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

basod and HDRock like this.
  12. basod

basod

this is why that machine shines ;)- it goes all the way through a split and then some.
    I can't speak for all hydraulic splitters but the wide wedge and distance from foot to wedge is why most folks hate gum trees.

That was for sure Sweet Gum - hickory does not separate on growth rings like Gum does on a splitter

94BULLITT likes this.
  13. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

basod I made a video showing how far the ram goes out.

Deadwood likes this.
  14. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

A couple weeks ago hit 20 hours on it. I changed the oil and greased the rack. I also have been putting dry graphite on the beam. I think it will help minimize wear were the bearing run. The dry graphite also make it nice and slippery to slide the rounds on. The splitter is working out great. I love it.

Here is a pic from a couple weeks ago.

[​IMG]

15. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

16. Felter

Felter Banned

great video's and reviews. but I noticed when comparing to 2 handed operation to a 1 handed operation of this vid. it seems the 1 handed operation is much faster and more efficient. mostly because with a 2 handed operation you basically split each piece in half. so say for an 8 way split. you split it in half, push 1 half to the side. then split it into quarters. now you have 2 quarters so you have to push 1 to the side. split the quarter closest to you. then regrab the first quarter and split it again. where as with a 1 handed splitter you split it in half. push half to the side. then balance the piece on the beam so it will split one finish sized piece. while keeping your hand away from the push block. then split one finish sized piece. then split it a second and third time. does that make sense?

or say you had a round that needed to be split 6 times. you split it in half, push one half to the side. now you either have to hope it balances to get your 2 splits out of that half. or just split the half into quarters and end up with 8 smaller pieces instead of 6. or you have to ram it onto the wedge and hope it stays there. which ramming it onto the wedge will work but do that 100 times in a couple hours and it will wear you out quicker. just a thought.

I like at :42 in the video I posted the operator gets distracted while he's splitting at a kid running by. but he never puts his hand in a bad position. so even while he got distracted for a split second he still was operating the splitter safely.

Birddogtg likes this.
  17. Oldman47

Oldman47

He may have been lucky that time that his hand was in a good position but the kid could have waited for the stroke to finish or the stroke could have waited until he knew the kid was OK. It is a habit with him to run that splitter while looking elsewhere. He did it again just short of the 2:00 mark and again about 10 seconds before the end. 3 such instances of inattention during a stroke of that splitter in under 3 minutes means he has a dangerous habit that will bite him eventually.
    No intention of offending but let's be honest, the guy running that splitter needs to focus on what he is doing or stop doing it when he is distracted. Most of the time kids texting while they are driving do not get into an accident or they would never finish a drive to school but sooner or later they will run you off the road and insist they never saw you. As a bike rider, I do notice that more than when I am in my car. On the bike I have no armor.

Felter likes this.
  18. Felter

Felter Banned

no offense taken brother. :)
    wow. what a comparison. looking up from your work for a second, to be aware of your surroundings. as compared to texting and driving. kind of a stretch, but ok. I would have looked up at the kid too. I think that's the right thing to do. the kid could have been running from a fire that the guy needs to go put out. or the kid could have been hurt. or maybe the kid was about to turn and run towards the splitter? in that case I would have needed to know the kid was running up, so I can stop splitting and keep the kid away from the splitter. the guy knew where his hands were. hence i think it was ok to look up for a second. now if he was constantly putting his hands on the wedge that would be a different story... I would compare it not to texting and driving but more to driving and looking in your rear view mirrors. where as one could tell me I'm wrong for checking my mirrors, and that I need to keep my eyes on the road. but hey to each their own. I was trying to compare 1 handed operation to 2 handed operation.

19. Birddogtg

Birddogtg

Best splitter ever right there,I have one that is almost an exact copy made by a guy here in Ohio and I would take it over the Timberwolf splitters any day.It is faster and way cheaper to run and way cheaper to buy.

Felter likes this.
  20. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

I recorded myself when I did a little splitting. From the time I lay the piece down it takes me somewhere around .35 seconds to engage the ram. I don't think the safety is slowing me down much at all. I might be losing .2 a second over a Super Split. Over 1000 splits (somewhere around a cord for me) I am losing 200 seconds or 3 minutes 33 seconds. That is better than losing a finger. I chose to keep splitting in halves. I can split off as much as I want. Today I actually tried splitting like in the video. Sometime I may try a few different ways of splitting the rounds to see what is fastest. What makes the super split in the video look so much faster is he is splitting larger than what I do. If anyone has a supersplit they want to bring over we can run it against my Split Second.

concretegrazer likes this.