In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

My new kindling axe!

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by B.Brown, Jan 9, 2020.

1. B.Brown

B.Brown

Last week i bought a new X25 28'' Fiskars splitting axe. Tonight i was on the back patio and decided to try making kindling with it. Boy, does it ever work good! The combination of the shape of the head, weight of the head, and sharpness of the bit, really comes into play when making kindling. With the shape, its slices the wood cleanly, the weight of the head carries it down though the wood with minimal hand pressure, and the sharpness, almost slices it like a apple, smooth, and effortless. I used some red fir tonight to experiment with and it split it almost perfectly every time about 1/4ths of an inch each time, then i'd just push the head the rest of the way down to finish it off. Its almost like using a knife in a sense the way the wood splits so well. And, with the weight of the head, its just about glides through the wood with the grain. If you haven't used the X25 for a kindling axe, you don't know what your missing.

2. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Now I am probably going to have to get one of those. Already have the larger splitting axe and the isocore maul.

Midwinter and M2theB like this.
  3. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

I use the X27 the same way for kindling. The 36” handle gets in the way a little bit, but I don’t really need another tool!

Midwinter and M2theB like this.
  4. B.Brown

B.Brown

they work, and they work really well, trust me, lol.

metalcuttr likes this.