In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

My firewood storage area is coming down tomorrow

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by BDF, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

Looking awesome, BDF! I feel your pain in regards to the wrist, I sprained mine this week topping a tall dead ash tree in my backyard. But that's another story and the wood processing show must go on here at home!

Keep up with the pics, can't wait to see that big house when it's all done!

Eric VW, FatBoy85, Hammy and 2 others like this.
  2. iBob

iBob

You have a lovely home, Brian. We don't often see that style of building in the UK, save for coastal areas. Sweeeeeeeet! :thumbs:
    Glad the wrist is healing well. A man without a working wrist is half the man. :whistle: STEADY!

Keep up the good work!
    B;)B

Eric VW, FatBoy85, Hammy and 2 others like this.
  3. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Glad to hear you're back in action, Brian.
    :handshake:

4. Hammy

Hammy

Nice that you are recovering and making such great progress on the house. It’s a huge transformation and well worth the effort.

brenndatomu, Eric VW, Chaz and 2 others like this.
  5. BDF

BDF

31 July 2018: The contractors are moving along on both sides of the house. The west or 'driveway' side is getting those 'shingle' or 'shake' looking vinyl siding pieces under the porch / sidewalk roof. That stuff will cover the side (under the porch roof) to the entrance-way, as well as wrapping right around and covering the front of the house (again, below the porch roof- first floor only). Also got the electrical box mounted today; it had been left 'floating' until they got the plate on the house to mount it. Those folks were ascairt' of dem dare voltons inside the box so I mounted it (Easy Boys! I mean with tools and fasteners!). Now the electrical service is finished and permanent..... and it even meets code. :)

Tough to see but the siding under the roof is the 'shingle' looking stuff while all the rest is the normal or 'clapboard' type of vinyl.

31 July 2018 West side shingles.JPG

A bit easier to see in this photo:

31 July 2018 Southwest side shingles.JPG
    The new bathroom casement window ended up quite high on the outside of the house but there is <just> enough room for a piece of J- channel above it, which is all that is needed really. Not ideal but not the worst thing to go wrong on this project so far either.

They spent today working on the west side of the house and made good progress- see how high the bathroom window ended up being?

31 July 2018 East side siding and trim.JPG

This is the southeast (front) corner wrap- around that goes up to where the porch starts:

31 July 2018 Southwest corner shingles.JPG

It will be interesting to see how they do with the chase on the side of the house- it is quite high and there is nothing to stand on on the eve side. The chase was originally built with a small platform in place for just that purpose but that was before the roof was shingled.

Brian

6. Midwinter

Midwinter

It looks beautiful Brian!

Hammy and Chaz like this.
  7. RI Dan

RI Dan

Looking great!!! I bet you are a happy family once the wood is all 'stacked' and the siding is completed.

Chaz likes this.
  8. BDF

BDF

Thanks!

But remember, the second floor is still a bunch of 'sticks' awaiting the entire cycle of finishing, starting with insulation and sheet rock / plaster and ending with a cat having an accident on one of the new carpets. :rofl: :lol: And that is a LONG way to go still.....

Brian

Hammy, Chaz and Midwinter like this.
  9. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Great progress. Looking good.

Chaz likes this.
  10. Chaz

Chaz

As the others said, it's coming along nicely. :yes:

Hammy likes this.
  11. RI Dan

RI Dan

Progress is progress Brian. Every step along the way gets you closer to completion.

Chaz likes this.
  12. iBob

iBob

Tasty! :hair::yes:

B:picard:B

Hammy likes this.
  13. BDF

BDF

15 Aug. 2018: the porch (firewood storage area) is almost fully sided. We lost a lot of time to rain but the guys are back on it and making headway again. Most of the house is done; tomorrow should finish up all the large areas left to be sided save the two chimney chases above the roof-line. They are considering renting a hydraulic lift to do the one on the side of the house; I think it is a good idea because trying to do that with a ladder is going to be risky IMO.

West side of the house is finished. The area under the porch roof is done with the 'shingle' looking siding and it came out very, very nice. Tough to see in this photo but it is there:

15 Aug. 2018 West side is finished.JPG

The front of the house under the porch roof, it is easier to see the different vinyl in these photos:

15 Aug. 2018 front of house done under porch roof.JPG

Front of short porch wall is nearly done, only one piece of siding to go (they ran out of J- channel). The white boxes are electrical outlets (extreme left) and scuppers to let any rainwater or melted snow from wood on the porch run off the porch floor:

15 Aug. 2018 front of porch done.JPG

Porch and front of house from the southeast:

15 Aug. 2018 front of house from southeast corner.JPG

The contractors could not get gray J- channel to match the siding on short notice so they just used white around the scuppers and electrical outlets. I will probably paint them later to match the siding; the box covers and even the outlets are gray so it is only the fascia and J-channel around each that is white.

Of course the porch will be screened- in, and have three door panels on the west side to allow the trailer to be driven onto the porch.

Brian

Chaz, Hammy, T.Jeff Veal and 6 others like this.
  14. Midwinter

Midwinter

Wow, it looks SO GOOD! The gray and white make it look like an old-fashioned NE home. The farmer's porch looks very inviting! So nice to see that green board just about gone. What a great outcome!

Chaz and Hammy like this.
  15. BDF

BDF

24 Aug 2018: I think this will be the last post to this section as the porch and basically the entire exterior are done. If any are interested, I can start a new thread and continue on the progress inside the house but that is well off- topic for this thread.

The gents finished the overhang covering (ceiling) today and this basically brings the siding and trim to a close. There are still a few things to finish up but they are pretty trivial, and a little bit of re- work as always happens in a project this large. Still, it is 99% done and really could stay like it is forever as it is fully weathered- in and everything is covered; a lot of the re-work is replacing the wrinkled aluminum fascia with new, [non- wrinkled] aluminum fascia.

So starting with the 'firewood storage area' (Andrea still thinks it is a porch but that is not really accurate :D)

From the Southwest corner:

22 Aug 2018 Siding done Southwest view.JPG

22 Aug 2018 Siding done Southwest 2 view.JPG

From the Southeast corner. Note that both chimneys and chimney chases are (barely) visible in this photo. The chimney in the house is for the woodstove, the chimney on the side of the house is for an oil boiler:

22 Aug 2018 Siding done Southeast view.JPG

A better view of the chase on the roof peak for the wood stove:

22 Aug 2018 Woodstove chimney chase.JPG

View of the outer chimney chase as east side of the house, from the Northeast corner:

22 Aug 2018 Siding done Northeast view w- chase.JPG

A really lousy photo of the entrance-way as finished, including the roof shingles as well as vinyl siding and of course, all the trim:

22 Aug 2018 Siding done entrance way.JPG

And the last part, done today, of the ceiling of the second floor overhang, now covered in soffit vinyl material:

22 Aug 2018 Overhang covered Northwest view.JPG

Those support posts will be covered with vinyl wrap- around material, made just for the purpose of covering support columns without being able to get to them from either the top or the bottom.

Also, that area under the overhang is where two A/C compressors will be installed, and the short chase in the corner of the inside of the overhang contains all the refrigerant, electrical and control lines for those compressors. There are six mini- splits inside the house, three on each floor, and all piping, plumbing and wiring is internal to the house- I did not want all those 'downspout' looking things all over the outside of the house nor did I want the horizontal runs along the bottom of the house on three sides. It was more work but the inside install is invisible and hey, it only has to be done once, right? Though it was a pain and each mini- split required a condensate pump to push the condensate water 'up' and 'overboard'.

Landscapers on the way next week to evaluate and bid on a complete outside renovation, mostly to remove overgrowth and planted 'junk' and restore lawn and driveway to decent condition. I sold my backhoe a couple of years ago and depending on the prices I get, there may be another one in my future 'cause earth-moving work is usually exorbitantly expensive and a backhoe makes a wonderful 'firewood assistance tool', especially if it has a thumb or a 4 in 1 loader bucket.

Brian

16. Marvin

Marvin

Wow! Everything looks really great Brian :thumbs:

I vote yes on this:yes:

brenndatomu, Chaz and Hammy like this.
  17. Hammy

Hammy

Wow! Nice to see it all coming together. Well earned payoff for sure.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  18. Midwinter

Midwinter

I love the second floor overhang, so practical to put the AC equipment under there. The ground calls for some patio blocks to cover it I think. Please, post pictures of the landscaping work and the interior, when it happens.

brenndatomu, Chaz and Hammy like this.
  19. Chaz

Chaz

It really turned out great Brian.
    :binoculars::thumbs:

I bet it's a huge relief to have that part of the project out of the way.

20. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    It is looking awesome. Thanks for sharing the photos on the process. It is so neat to watch other people's projects come together.