In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

My Drolet HT3000 thread

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Warner, Dec 25, 2020.

1. Hoytman

Hoytman

Note to self:
    Before leaving Dad with a new stove be sure and tell him “this is not your daddy’s stove”, and show him how to use it.

T.Jeff Veal, NVhunter and Eckie like this.
  2. Warner

Warner

I thought asking him not to touch it would be enough.

3. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Powdered butt syndrome..."I changed your diapers and powdered your butt...don't tell me how to run a wood stove"
    :rofl: :lol:

T.Jeff Veal, Thor, Sinngetreu and 5 others like this.
  4. Sinngetreu

Sinngetreu

Well, at least you know your door seal works well!

That's a horror show.

5. Sinngetreu

Sinngetreu

This is the simple method that I use. It works well.

6. Sinngetreu

Sinngetreu

Warner, did you get everything cleaned up yet? How did it go? Were your firebricks completely coated too?

T.Jeff Veal and yooperdave like this.
  7. Warner

Warner

Life has been sorta crazy the last week. I burned most of it off the glass but Some will need to be scraped with a razor blade. Didn’t do much of anything to the brick.

8. NVhunter

NVhunter

The glass looked like a murder scene with the condensation drips running down the glass like that......

9. Hoytman

Hoytman

I had some of that get really hard on some glass. So much so it was too hard to scrape with the particular blade I had.

I had some Rutland glass cleaner (the blue stuff). I squeezed a lot (2 $.50 piece sized dollops) of it on the “cool” glass (I had taken my door off), moved it around then let it sit for a minute. Added a tad more and moved it around with my fingers. Totally liquified it. I just wiped it off with paper towel, then re-cleaned with more Rutland glass cleaner. Perfect! First time using it and I was totally and pleasantly surprised with the results. No worries about scratching glass...which can be done. Ruin a $200 piece of glass you won’t do it again, it gets expensive.

Yes, there are occasions I still use a razor blade on light stuff because it’s fast, blades are near the stove and the Rutland is in a closet, but I dull the blade corners so they can’t dig in.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  10. tree killer

tree killer

Just noticed this thread. Congrats on the stove, I know what you went through last year when you made an attempt at a better stove. Glad this one is working out.

11. Warner

Warner

So SBI has been rather slow processing the promotional blower. Today I decided to remove one of the side panels basically just to see. I do not believe the air that the blower moves is directed across the sides. I guess the side panels are more to reduce CTC. CF583A46-5730-4923-9782-11BBC5BDDC27.jpeg Not real pretty to look at but I’m really the only person that looks real close.

12. Warner

Warner

I’m still trying to figure this thing out. I will say my furnace kicks on more than when I was running the beast. The old stove warmed the central chimney and it produced more radiant heat. The house definitely doesn’t feel as warm. I have found myself cruising Craigslist for another warner stove for the future....

I plan to give it more time but I donnno...

in another thread I believe it was oldspark said he got rid of his old stove for a modern epa stove it can not carry the jock strap of the old stove. (Paraphrased)

I’m kinda felling the same.

13. moresnow

moresnow

Hope the blower makes as much difference in your case as it did mine when I tried running my new stove without it. Doesn't the side shield let super hot air rise until its kicked out from under the top convection deck? Hard to see from the pic. Hope it works out.
    Why has your blower not arrived? Hard to believe they sell the stove without it actually?

14. Warner

Warner

I agree that the stove definitely needs the blower. I don’t have time today but I’ll be calling sbi tomorrow.

T.Jeff Veal, yooperdave and moresnow like this.
  15. Warner

Warner

There is a convection deck, I’ll take better pics in a bit.

T.Jeff Veal and yooperdave like this.
  16. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

A coat of stove paint on that and it would look fine with the panels off IMO.
    New style stoves do tend to have less "raw horsepower" than a same size old school stove...the firebox is much more insulated to get temps high enough to burn clean...so then that leaves the stove top to act as the main heat exchanger.
    That's where wood furnaces have the big advantage over a free standing stove...most have a decent size heat exchanger area.

I bet getting that blower on there will make a noticeable difference for you though too...

T.Jeff Veal, yooperdave and Thor like this.
  17. Warner

Warner

18. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

That's definitely a convective stove...more so than radiant for sure...

19. Warner

Warner

20. Hoytman

Hoytman

For my small house our stove works fine as a radiant. It does a great job on a low thermostat setting of converting air into the room on it’s own. However, when it drop me down real cold, rather than turn the star up all I have to do is flip the blower in low for a few minutes. That’s the Hitzer 354 wood/coal stove. I have a Lopi Liberty that will function the same way and an even older pre-EPA stove that also functions the same. All three a decent convection loop even without electricity and when not really needed. When needed I can burn hotter, OR simply turn a blower on low. Makes all the difference in the world. Hopefully you will see this as well.

T.Jeff Veal likes this.