In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Mulch anyone?

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by jrider, May 23, 2024.

1. jrider

jrider

Aside from firewood, I also do some landscaping as well. I used to do more than I do but I’m just too busy for a lot of jobs. I have one guy who I’ve been doing his yard for years. He’s in a neighborhood where houses are close and his mulch beds basically border the entire property. It’s about 16 yards of mulch with a ton of edging. I didn’t take any pictures of the yard but I did take a picture of my dump truck at the place I buy mulch from. Their black dyed pile is about as tall as the trees. I hired 4 college kids and we knocked it out after I got out of work. Always make good money on these jobs but it’s a lot to coordinate.

Attached Files:

2. bogieb

bogieb

I don't get the dyed mulch thing, especially the red mulch as it looks entirely fake to me. Black, I sort of get as it looks like bare ground from a distance. However, not my place, not my money, so guess I can't tell other what to do :D

I only use natural cedar mulch, which can be hard to get sometimes. A year or two ago I towards the end of the season I did end up getting a couple of bags of red dyed cedar mulch because that is all they had. I was not impressed by the way my hands looked after handling that stuff since I don't normally wear gloves for gardening :doh:

At my last place I would use any natural mulch, but my current place used to have termites (and they are still in the "woods" and used to be in the lot next door before it was cleared). And ants are all over my "lawn". I feel that cedar is less likely to harbor such things, although I still only use wood mulch away from the house, and use gravel to border the abode (which the ants are fine with - so gravel doesn't help there). The ants that take care of my peonies will tolerate the cedar mulch, but I don't tend to see any other ants in my gardens.

3. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

After my huge maples drop their seeds, we spread a thin layer on our flower beads. Still need to get one done. We use the black as well.
    98F829B5-373D-40D1-87EA-54CC1D324E24.jpeg 883F5918-D3E6-46F9-A2CF-330CCA31423C.jpeg DFAD1EF5-DB5A-4365-B926-83CB6B0453A9.jpeg D9094150-0E1C-458D-A8A7-55C70DB0A605.jpeg

Chvymn99, jrider, Locust Post and 6 others like this.
  4. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Wife likes dark brown it goes with the tan house and dark brown color scheme.. She used about 100 cubic feet; 50 bags. She likes bags more than a 1 ton because of around house and 1,000 feet up driveway and extension for trees and shrubs. Load bags in Tractor bucket and drop 3 here etc.. She weeds and moves plants before mulch

Chvymn99, jrider, Locust Post and 6 others like this.
  5. billb3

billb3

What I don't get is rubber mulch. Yeah, it lasts forever maybe. Maybe less work. Maybe good under a child's playset.
    But it's rather unnatural and would only go well with astroturf and fake anything or everything else.

jrider, bogieb, eatonpcat and 4 others like this.
  6. Locust Post

Locust Post

I have spread 6 yds of black for many years now but this year I put some of the landscaping back to grass. I just finished the first 2 yd load last night and I believe another 2 yds should do it.

Chvymn99, John D, jrider and 4 others like this.
  7. Skier76

Skier76

16 yards. Wow! We spread 5 yards a few weekends ago.

IMG_9429.jpeg

sms4life, bogieb, Woodwidow and 3 others like this.