In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

MS391 oiling issue - help

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by buzz-saw, Mar 27, 2020.

1. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

I have an MS391 that I am having an issue with oiling the chain and wondered if any has one that can help.

The chain gets some oil but a large amount of it is running out of the side cover where the chain adjustment screw in side cover is located.
    I pulled the side cover off and was wondering if it is missing something ?
    Some Stihl saws have s Sheetmetal plate that goes between the inside of the bar and the engine side of the bar , this saw does not have one but I also do not see a screw hole in the case that has a small screw to retain this Sheetmetal plate so I am not sure.

Does anyone know if this saw should have that plate? Have a picture of their saw where the bar mounts or an expolded parts view of this??

Thanks in advance for any help you can pass along.

2. farmer steve

farmer steve

Let me know if this link doesn't work. It doesn't look like that saw has the metal plate. Make sure the oiling holes on your bar aren't clogged.
    Stihl MS 391 | Parts Diagram

3. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Thanks so much Steve , works perfect.
    You are correct , it shows no plate in there.
    I am sure that the bar oil hole is/was not clogged. I did check that as soon as I pulled the bar off and when I flipped the bar last time I blew the holes out and also the rails as well before putting it back on. My OCD ( or so my wife says anyway but what does she know ) and maintenance on all my equipment is a little excessive so this can eliminate this problem.

The slot in the case where it gets oil from also looks perfect , no chips or nicks that would allow it to leak from there.

As soon as I finish my coffee I am going out to garage to try and figure this out.

Thanks again for the parts diagram , you have been a big help.

4. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

I have a fence company that has a lot of issues with those models 361,391 series the oiler has a hose that gets damaged and leaks it is under clutch a lot of times the bearing in the clutch goes bad and the clutch drum cuts this hose but I have had them cut from debris also good luck JB

5. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Interesting. I have the clutch drum off it now actually and it looked OK other than the sprocket a little worn. Needle bearing looked good and drum wasn't flopping around , maybe damaged from debris. Certainly something to check , I will let you guys know how I make out.
    Thanks for the tip.

6. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

I did get this saw used quite a while back and it's had very little use by me so not 100% sure on what it's history really is.
    Although from looking at it seems to have not had all that much use prior to me getting it but you never know.

7. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Update ; all set found the problem.:D

Front stud for bar mount stud had backed itself out just enough so that the shoulder of the bolt where it screws into the case was preventing the bar from seating flush to the crankcase where the slot for the oiler is located. It wasn't out much ( maybe 20 thousandths or so ) and that explains it.

Thanks to everyone here for the help. Really a great site and a great bunch of people as well.

Thanks again !!!!!!!!!!!!

8. farmer steve

farmer steve

Cool. Glad you got it figured out. Did you pull the stud and loctite it? I'll file this away for future reference.

9. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

No locktite. Didn't think of that but also not sure what that would do since it threads into fantastic plastic either. Probably would not have hurt anything but never even thought. . I just double nutted it and turned it back in , maybe about 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn. Thanks again for your help.

10. M2theB

M2theB

Good find!
    I’d guess it was never set from the factory.
    Those studs, in my experience, are the hardest thing to remove on a saw.
    I’ll keep an eye out for that condition

farmer steve and Screwloose like this.