In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

More stink bugs in the clean out than ash

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Woodwhore, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I’ve never seen stink bugs around before last year. They were everywhere this past year, and I keep finding random ones in the house still.

2. Warner

Warner

I have a feeling when it starts to warm up they will be back.

3. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I’m sure you’re right

4. Gpsfool

Gpsfool

I never used to have stink bugs - now they are everywhere - started about the same time I started BURNING PINE. Just sayin....

T.Jeff Veal and NortheastAl like this.
  5. Woodwhore

Woodwhore

Iv got quite a few pines around me and the stink bugs are bad

6. Gpsfool

Gpsfool

Just a FYI - that comment I made about stink bugs and Pine was a joke - AKA - One of the myriad of things that get blamed on burning Pine.

I do have a stink bug problem though.

7. System

System

Guys, one thing to consider is that there are true stink bugs then there are bugs that stink. Stink bugs usually don't come en masse. However, Western Conifer Seed bugs (pine cone seed bugs) swarm in the fall. They normally winter over in the grooves of pine bark but can get confused and hit a house pretty hard. Ask me how I know... Besides how many show up at once, another primary difference between the two species is that WCSB's are drawn in by the smell of their own, especially dead ones. When my house got hit I went to war killing as many as possible each day. What I didn't realize was that I was actually encouraging the next day's swarm! Man, did that get ugly that fall. Anyways, I'm not saying the OP didn't have actual stink bugs. However, the mention of quantity combined with burning pine made me think that maybe it was the seed bugs that were to blame instead. And yes, do they ever stink!

PS: It also makes sense that some say they never had an issue with stink bugs before. Western Conifer Seed bugs are new(ish) to the northeast and are getting more and more attention as they swarm each fall.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  8. Woodwhore

Woodwhore

No stink bugs really do like pine trees, its fact

9. Warner

Warner

No doubt they were stink bugs here.

10. Gpsfool

Gpsfool

Oh yea - real stink bugs here and they also always are accompanied by Box Elder Bugs.

11. BCB

BCB

Martins viper insecticide concentrate Cypermethrin 25.4%. Mix w water and spray around areas they can get in. Works great!

I went from having dozens getting into the house to only a few per year. I usually spray 2-3xs per year.

12. System

System

Because of my infestation, I learned about Permethrin. Sounds like what you used is similar. I now use it to keep my wood shed and basement supply clear of any creepy crawlies. It works great and anything that crawls out of the wood pile makes it about a foot and dies.

NortheastAl, BCB and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  13. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

We have the stink bugs get under the bark to hibernate. Also the red wood roach. But we had swarms of Lady bugs this fall.
    I was loading some wood about a month ago, glad it was cold and they couldn't fly, but there was one section that had hundreds of guinea wasp bedded up in the cracks, didn't see them until I was toting an harmful to the truck. When that stinger got through my shirt, it didn't take long to drop that wood...:hair:

NortheastAl and bang like this.
  14. System

System

Ah yes, the lady bug swarm in the fall. They used to all try and hibernate in the small gaps above and below my windows. I'd get a huge mass of them on each window and they would leave lady bug droppings all over the window sills and above the windows too. Permethrin on a rag and wipe those areas each fall and now no more ladies...

NortheastAl and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  15. Sluggo

Sluggo

I got a sleeping stink bug under every other split being brought in. Every dozen or so splits will come across a sleeping lizard. The stack with the snakeskins had no lizards.

NortheastAl, T.Jeff Veal and System like this.
  16. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

Lady bugs eat aphids and usually are a welcome beetle. They even sell them in a container to throw up into the tree canopy.

T.Jeff Veal likes this.
  17. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

We onetime had stink bugs hibernate in the folds of curtains. Had to vacuum them out. They got in through a space from the A/C we left in the window.

T.Jeff Veal likes this.
  18. System

System

Not here. Here they come in the fall, infiltrating at every opening and acting unladylike all over your home.

imwiley1, NortheastAl and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  19. Erik B

Erik B

The last number of years we have gotten a lot of Japanese beetles. They look very much like lady bugs but the Japanese beetles bite. We have started getting our house sprayed in the fall to keep them from coming inside. We used to vacuum up hundreds inside every day before we started spraying them. They can be real thick in soybean fields around here.

NortheastAl and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  20. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

Ours come in the spring and summer. I guess we are lucky for that.

T.Jeff Veal likes this.