Picture 1 is hickory cut about a year ago standing live tree just split today. Picture 2 is ash cut around April of last year, split and stacked around May (fresh face for the reading) Picture 3 is silver maple cut late May standing live tree just split today. The hickory was heavy but surprized me to be that low and I even checked several different pieces. Last picture I threw in for just for fun to show how much difference last winter was. That was from Jan. 19th
I just finished stacking the rack in the garage from a few rows of BL css 3 years ago. This BL was stacked pretty tight 5 rows deep, more like a cube. I knew it wouldn't get much wind stacked like that but I figured 3 years would be fine. A certain fat piece from the middle, close to the bottom, felt suspiciously heavy. I split it and checked it with the MM. 22%. Pallets on the bottom were beginning to rot. No more cubes for me. At least not in that spot.
The hickory is a really hard wood. Needs to be good-n-dry to burn well. But it's worth the wait. + you want to save some for outdoor cooking or grilling. Split & stacked, my bet is the maple will dry & catch up with the other wood pretty quick. Great scores all of them Having it split, has gotta feel like a good days work You keep them stacked separate ?
Usually not, just don't have the room or should say don't want to take up any more yard than I already do. Course that would be less mowing maybe I should rethink this.