In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Moisture Meter

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Troutbum, Jul 30, 2021.

1. Troutbum

Troutbum

In another recent thread, the subject of moisture content in my wood came up. Someone suggested using a second moisture meter because they thought my moisture meter couldn't be reading accurate because I was getting too low of a reading (12-15%).
    I am measuring wood that was seasoned outside for at least 12 months. It was then brought into the basement, where it has been there for at least an additional 10 months. I don't know if wood dries out more in the basement.
    I bought a second cheap moisture meter. I split a couple of pieces and took measurements with the new meter on the freshly split face. One was maple and the other was birch. I got reading of 11% and 12%. I used the old moisture meter I had on one of those pieces and it was within 1% of the new meter.
    My older meter says it measures within 3% and the new one says it measures within 2%. If I'm 2-3% off, I don't care that much. I just want a general idea. Is the problem that I am using cheap moisture meters?

Slocum and PA Mountain Man like this.
  2. farmer steve

farmer steve

Depending on wood species I can get readings in the 8-12% range. bear 1998 and I compared our meters and they were about 1% different +/-. I don't rely on mine for much more than a ballpark idea.

3. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

I have two meters.
    I bought a cheepo" one from ebay and questioned it's readings being low on some wood I am drying in my basement for some woodworking projects. So I went out and purchased another from a big box store with an orange roof.
    Much to my surprise the readings were extremely close. Both right around 10%

4. Troutbum

Troutbum

I’m getting readings from 11% to 15%. I should measure the stuff Ive had seasoning outside for about a year and compare, but we’ve had so much rain. It’s covered, but I don’t know if all the rain would make a difference.

farmer steve and PA Mountain Man like this.
  5. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Those readings aren’t out of an acceptable range. I too just use mine to get an idea of mc and don’t rely on 99.5% accuracy.

farmer steve and buzz-saw like this.
  6. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

This is in the FHC "resources" section and really shows the differences in local, as far as what % you can "air dry" down to during any given month of the year...it really varies month to month, especially in some locations, overall I found this article/chart very interesting...
    Equilibrium Moisture Content of wood in outdoor locations

farmer steve and Slocum like this.
  7. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Same here , I am not relying so much on the number but more of a guide as to what direction the number is going and at what rate.
    As long as it continues to go down then I am good with that.

Just after milling and stacking the numbers have gone down rather rapidly but now that it has been sitting for a while those numbers don't drop nearly as fast bu do continue to decrease just at a slower rate.

8. moresnow

moresnow

Now you can comfortably tell your wife that you have confirmed..... Good wood:)