In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Minnesota Roll Call

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by MNWood, Mar 2, 2024.

1. MNWood

MNWood

I'm curious how many members we have living in MN. It seems the map feature on this site has some issues. At least I can't use it very well. It might even think I live in Chicago, ha ha, No.

I'll go first - I live in Coon Rapids. My name is Steve.
    Only have been here since Feb. 2022 moving from Minneapolis where I lived for most of my 61 years. I had a wood burning stove in the basement at the old house. At one time I had a wood burning forced air furnace there. We used that as our main source of heat with a natural gas wall mounted boiler running through an A Coil for back up. But it became ridiculous, as the main source of wood was 100 miles away at our family property.
    Current house has a Travis Industries fireplace insert. I'm working on the 3 year plan with a fair amount of wood split and stacked. Some of it was from 3 trees I had dropped here with a no haul agreement. Stacks include Boxelder, Maple, Oak, Ash, Mulberry, a few pieces of Aspen, Birch and what not.
    Other hobbies include riding motorcycle (BMW Club member), canoeing, fishing, hunting, camping, DIY nearly everything.
    Please introduce yourself. It can be as simple as just where you live.
    IMG_0598.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 2, 2024
  2. JimBear

JimBear

3. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

I am moving from west of the metro an hour to halfway between Sioux Falls and the twin cities.

I have about 15 cord cut and split. More piles than stacked.

I’ve got 5 1/2 acres of mostly ash tree that’s suffered emerald ash borer so I have about 8 years worth of wood to process on the ground right now.

All oak I went and bought because I can’t make it for the $160/ cord. And that’s cut and split too. It could stand to be resplit smaller in my opinion and I’m okay with that.
    IMG_1905.jpeg

All cherrywood to be CSS now at the farm.
    17AA975F558A93BE96360A0EE6348476.jpeg

mall elm I split last year and it’s still over 30% moisture.
    IMG_1549.jpeg

I know where there’s 3 1/2 acres of wood a guy wants taken out of a field so they can start farming it again. Mostly boxelder I’ve been told. Some oak and hardwoods.

that should set me up for a 10 year stock.

I don’t even have the house built yet I’m going to retire to.

I have seen some lumber mills on Facebook marketplace I am considering getting and then will probably make the wood to build the house.

wildwest, brenndatomu, Chaz and 4 others like this.
  4. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

5. hovlandhomestead

hovlandhomestead

Hello Steve/MNWood. My wife and I are in the west metro at our primary residence. We spend a good bit of time up on the north shore near the Canadian Border where we settled as newlyweds, born and raised our three children, eventually moved for work opportunities, but kept some of our land off the original homestead, then built from the ground up our family getaway, and compound if need be.

6. MNWood

MNWood

Farmer J I have been following your thread. You sure do have a lot of wood.
    Hovlandhomestead, My wife and I love the north shore. Our motorcycle club has a four day camp-out every August at the Grand Marias city campground. With your user name I assume your land is a bit north of there, just past the Naniboujou Lodge.

7. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    To let the person know that you are talking to them, put @ in front of the name and then they will get an alert that you have mentioned them.
    MNWood

8. hovlandhomestead

hovlandhomestead

Sounds like a nice trip for your motorcycle club.

Yes we are past Grand Marais, and relatively close to the lodge.

9. yooperdave

yooperdave

I don't know if I saw any of your ice fishing results this past season.........did you get out at all?

10. Chud

Chud

I lived in St Paul for the first 15yrs of my life. Our house was on Hubbard 3 blocks away from Hamline University. The state fairgrounds were about 1/4 mile North of us. Lot’s of my Dad’s family 10 brothers and sisters moved to the cities and surrounding areas from Sisseton SD. If you ever run into a Mussetter anywhere they are related to me. I can’t think of anything as calming as listening to the Loons on a quiet lake.

11. hovlandhomestead

hovlandhomestead

Here you go yooperdave.

It was short but pretty sweet!

I got out in portables around New Years; pulled the permanent house out with the wheeler on Jan 15; had to pull it pretty early in February due to the warm weather pattern; and got out in the portables again after that.

IMG_3723.jpeg

IMG_3779.jpeg

IMG_3768.jpeg
    IMG_3692.jpeg IMG_3726.jpeg

12. MNWood

MNWood

Nice job spearing those Northerns and a Walleye. I have never gone spearing but in a normal winter get out a few times ice fishing. Never went this year it was sort of the winter that wasn't.

13. yooperdave

yooperdave

14. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

MNWood
    For now, it very easy for me to put up wood. Once I start the actual construction, I won’t have time to put up with, so I’m doing it now.

MNWood and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  15. MNWood

MNWood

I'm giving this a bump as there has to be way more than three of us that live in MN. So Bump, Bump. For wood related content - I have a day of wood splitting planned this week with a friend at his house. I plan to share some photos afterwards. I burned mostly old, partially rotten and then dried out Silver Maple this weekend IMG_0846.jpeg

16. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

For now I’m just working.

my view last week.

IMG_2100.jpeg

17. MNWood

MNWood

FarmerJ I'm not retired yet either and would normally be at work today however I took the day off to split wood with a friend. :)
    It was a sunny but chilly day. I like working in this type of weather vs anything over mid 70's. We got started about 9 am, had a nice lunch break and finished up about 3. Didn't work too hard, heck it was a vacation day for me. My friend Dan R had a nice pile of wood at his house. Mostly Sugar Maple, some Red Maple and a small amount of Mountain Ash. All of it was 2 years old. All of it was very dry and easy to split. He has a wood stove in one of the garages and a solo stove. We made smaller splits as that is what fits well. His 86 year old neighbor, and our friend, duck came over and helped stack. We couldn't stop him from working. He was having fun. I mostly ran the splitter. Dan and duck stacked.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2024
  18. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

That’s awesome

T.Jeff Veal and MNWood like this.
  19. MNWood

MNWood

A couple more photos

Attached Files:

T.Jeff Veal likes this.
  20. zymguy

zymguy

I ve been away from my woodstove in Ely mn for a couple of yrs as I attend school in central MN. Ive got 7 cords of birch waiting for me to move back in May.