In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

May seem odd.

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by Cold Trigger Finger, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

This is a great looking setup. My next rope will be a 200' Sampson Bigfoot . and I'm going to get a left foot ascended to go with my right foot one.

J. Dirt and p61 western like this.
  2. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

I just had my 3 year old out earlier and lifted him up and down a few feet with the rope he’s hooked! Now he just needs to get bigger

3. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

I love watching crane work!! Especially when you get to hear the weight of the pieces, wood is always deceiving as to weight. So many people just cut stuff off thinking I’ll just push it over or hold onto it :picard:

4. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

5. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

6. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

The thing that kept me away from the VT was it can fail to grab if something goes slightly wrong .
    I'm going to try that double Blake's next time I shoot a line up in a tree. That way I can double up my braking with a rescue 8 under my hitch.
    I'm a scaredy cat when it comes to the long drop.
    And , I like kinda old fashion stuff
    I'm not a Spider Jack , Rope Wrench ect kinda guy.

7. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

Most all the climbing I do is for removals. So I'm always in the spurs. Tho sometimes a customer wants part of the tree left so Ill climb up thru the limbs , then tie in limb it up to where I top it then block it down to the limbs and repel out.
    photobucket-280841-1447545894375.jpg

8. p61 western

p61 western

Lol yeah I don't want no falls either. I heard that it can slip a little before it grabs. Maybe one more wrap will help it grab better? I'm not sure and I am pretty new to it all, I'm open to all suggestions from others with experience.

J. Dirt likes this.
  9. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

I'm also thinking to try coming down on a doubled rope . Both legs being equal length . With a single Blake's on both legs and both running thru a rescue 8. All the pitch on these spruce are a pain to deal with when burning the line around the bole of the tree or a limb. Also, it would give me all the advantages of having total control of my line. Instead of SRT where one leg is always secured at ground level and the weight at the top is doubled. Big difference between 300 lbs and 600 lbs.

10. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

For bailing out I will continue to use the Hitch Hiker. 1 less leg of the line I need to keep track of. And these spruce have ALOT of sticky limbs that bury everything at the base of the tree.
    I've had stuff go haywire up a tree and almost got 1 hand smashed. So having my bailout be a 1 handed operation is important. I use Sampson Static Kernmantal for my bailout. Choked to the tree with a running bowline then thru the HH. I advance it along with my flipline. I like the static Kern as it doesn't pluck. Rope stays in good shape and stays round.