In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Maul vs. Axe

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by dotman17, Dec 15, 2017.

1. dotman17

dotman17

I am going to buy a quality axe or maul. I have a sledge hammer and a small assortment of wedges so I could go w/o the maul. But I could also reduce the tool set.

What say there?? Which one do you recommend and why?

2. bushpilot

bushpilot

I am a Fiskars fanboy. The x27 and Isocore both are in my wood shed. I like them both, but if I had to choose ... don't make me choose. But the Isocore is the one I would choose.

3. CoreyB

CoreyB

One? You want us to recommend one? Ugh..........

How about two?
    I really like the Husqvarna large splitting maul. It is a great splitter and if I had to only have one. That would be it.

dotman17, Camber and HolsatiaRedneck like this.
  4. HolsatiaRedneck

HolsatiaRedneck

Got a Fiskars x25, i like it alot. If youre more into classic stuff you might wanna check on
    Gransfor, Wetterlings and what else swedish stuff is flying about.
    I dont know much about US products but im sure there are some who are made on home soil.
    Easy to keep sharp with a wetstone and it will be gentle with your wrist.
    Broke my maul (a cheap one which i got for free) the other day while punding wedges...
    In the end it depends what youre comfortable with and if its just for a bit of choppin id say a decent axe and youll be fine.
    For pounding wedges and splitting bigger logs a maul comes handy. But thats my personal opinion and some others might disagree.
    Ill gonna buy this one within the next few weeks, i went to a store to check it out - felt pretty neat.

Midwinter and Camber like this.
  5. dotman17

dotman17

I'm a dolt. Somebody below in this forum opened a thread about this same topic.

6. Rowerwet

Rowerwet

X27, and isocore, if I had to choose just 1, X27

7. dotman17

dotman17

My wife just ordered me the Isocore for Christmas. I guess this issue has been settled

colin.p, jtstromsburg and bushpilot like this.
  8. saewoody

saewoody

I agree with Rowerwet. I have both and find the x27 to be more user friendly. I like having the isocare and finally pulled the trigger on it this spring when I had a lot of large maple rounds to split, but the reality is that sometimes the wider wedge on the isocare gets stuck while the narrower head on the x27 keeps driving through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. woody5506

woody5506

Only mauls I have are Stihl. Both their cheaper $70 maul and pro $100-110 mauls are great and have a lifetime warranty. The dealer replaced my cheaper one once already for free.

mdavlee likes this.
  10. dotman17

dotman17

I looked at those briefly but couldn't pull the trigger. Most know of Stihl quality but until I prove to myself I cut enough to warrant the price tag, the Isocore should be sufficient.

Rowerwet likes this.
  11. JW IN VA

JW IN VA

Council Tool.Made in USA. 8lb axe eye wood handle.IMO

SkidderDone likes this.
  12. dotman17

dotman17

Meaning?

13. mdavlee

mdavlee

I have the X27, husky splitting axe with plastic handle, and a 8lb maul. The husky gets 90% of the use.

MikeInMa likes this.
  14. woody5506

woody5506

To me it's a modest price tag for such a hassle free lifetime warranty. Don't get me wrong though I am also a Fiskars fan.

15. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

I'm old.
    Give me the ax, I couldn't swing a maul all day:emb:

colin.p, Rowerwet and HolsatiaRedneck like this.
  16. bushpilot

bushpilot

I used to say the same, then I got an Isocore. It doesn't wear me out like most mauls.

17. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

Yep, Fiskars axe and ISO core great combo. Both easy on the hands, work great! Warranty is second to none! Price is right!
    To me wedges just seem to take to much time to set set, strick, strick, strick, ect... I just can't get the hang of it

18. Midwinter

Midwinter

Here is my experience, as a newbie ax owner and longtime wedge user....
    Wedges...time consuming, but I think the most efficient way to take apart big rounds. You can section rounds off into halves, quarters, eighths, and if you have a gnarly spot, add more wedges! I suppose that with a heavy maul, and lots of muscle, you can handle big rounds fine, but wedges are way less effort. Now that I have a Fiskars X25 splitting axe, I'm kicking myself for all the time spent wedging little stuff. Most stuff 10" or less in diameter will split with one blow. If the ax doesn't go all the way though, I take the ax out and use a wedge to finish the split. I'm sure there's a technique to finish it with the ax. Lifting the ax embedded in the wood and hitting the chopping block hasn't worked out for me. And if I remove the ax, and try it strike it same split a second time, I'm only successful maybe a third of the time. With a heavier ax, I guess the one-strike success rate would increase, but at the expense of muscle fatigue. So I'm trying to work out the winning combination between axe and wedge.

MikeInMa likes this.
  19. bushpilot

bushpilot

So far, I haven't found any need for wedges. I didn't grow up burning wood, and nobody has taught me anything directly, so maybe I have just missed the point. But if I can't split something with the two Fiskars with just a few whacks, I come back in a couple of months, and try again. Or I noodle it if it is obviously never going to go.

colin.p and Dakota Hoarder like this.
  20. dotman17

dotman17

Me neither until I had 3-4+ ft. diameter rounds on the trees they felled in my backyard.