In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Matt's Wood Burning Adventures

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by CtRider, Nov 13, 2016.

1. CtRider

CtRider

Tree guy dropped some trickier falls here today. I’m buried deep in ash to deal with. I hate those friggin bugs.
    [​IMG]

2. CtRider

CtRider

Delivered 3 cords today. 2 unseasoned and one seasoned. The seasoned stuff was a FULL load weight wise as I bottomed out my trailer fenders on almost every bump. Of course leaving the stacks with the seasoned load of beautiful oak and maple I was a little lighter but still loaded and got stuck in the mud. A few shovels of gravel and 4LO got me back on the road. Hard to tell it’s a hill in this photo. Of course it’s the only section of my trail to the stacks I haven’t packed wood chips on yet. Speaking of wood chips...anyone else have them clog up the charging port on their phone?
    [​IMG]

3. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Yes!

Cash Larue and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  4. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

not fun getting stuck. I did five times last Winter and none this year. No 4WD on my F150 either.
    My famous last words "i wont get stuck" LOL!!! One was so bad my PU spent the night in a guys yard as i was late day when it happened! :headbang::hair: No chips in phone port although have had chalk dust do it from the piece i have in my pocket when i mark and cut!
    The problems we endure as hoarders!

5. Woodsman

Woodsman

Hahaha. When you take your phone out of your pocket and its covered in dust and chips and looks like it went through a wood chipper. How do the little chips find their way into the charging port with a case cover on...?

Keep up the good work selling! You’re killin’ it.

6. CtRider

CtRider

Made my last delivery of seasoned wood today. Half a cord. I’m keeping the rest for myself for next year. I can’t believe the interest I’ve gotten for wood.

Also doing a c/s/s service and had that first job today. Customer wanted to cap it at 2 hours. Had me splitting cherry and something I couldn’t ID. Would have said red oak but it was yellow. Really yellow and wet. I noticed they had a pile trees down and she was asking me what kind they were. Looked like all oak in the back to me. Then she said I was welcome to take any I wanted! Glad I had a saw in the truck as I scored a free load of oak!

Can see some yellow in the edge of the pile. Biggest cherry I’ve seen. Stump was about 18x22.
    [​IMG]

Here’s the oak pile. Too bad this was further than I’d prefer to fetch wood. I love oak and I’m buried in ash right now.
    [​IMG]

mat60, Rich L, Cash Larue and 6 others like this.
  7. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Nice work Matt! I love firewood making jobs. Yellow wood could be mulberry,

8. CtRider

CtRider

Thanks for that. After a quick google I agree, it’s mulberry. The ends of the rounds he turned a reddish color but fresh splits were yellow.

9. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

yup, classic mulberry. Scored my first this year earlier this month CtRider albeit a small tree. Not all that common down here based on my observations. IMG_1963.JPG

10. CtRider

CtRider

My first encounter as well. There were some rounds in the 14-16” range for sure.

11. CtRider

CtRider

Put new gaskets in the stove. Both the top and doors. Not my favorite task but has to be done.

12. CtRider

CtRider

Clean glass is nice but never lasts.

[​IMG]

13. billb3

billb3

When I went to have the broken glass replaced in the TN19 I found the window glass was also a little loose. I don't think I would have noticed it unless I took the doors off and specifically checked the window gasket out. I could easily shift the 4 clips that hold the window against the gasket with the door face down on the bench.

14. CtRider

CtRider

Been away from the forum awhile but had a couple updates worthy of a post.

First, been working on a woodshed. Slab was already there when I bought the house (17’x23’). Back is about 7’ and front is 11’ to top of post. If slammed full, it’s be over 18 cord but that’s not in the plans. Had enough corrugated decking from the previous owner to do ⅔ of the roof. In anybody in or near CT has a lead on some more, let me know!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Second, there were some big oaks taken down on my dads street that were too big for most folks but dad and I wanted a challenge. Sometimes you just have to move something big! Hill was steep enough to put the ramps on the side of the bed. The 572 was impressive burying the 28” bar in oak.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Need2Saw, Rich L, Cash Larue and 10 others like this.
  15. Horkn

Horkn

Got a closer pic of the corrugated decking you used for the roof?

That looks awesome btw!

16. JCMC

JCMC

Nice load! Should split fairly easy.

17. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Nice load of wood and that will be a nice shed. How much are you planning on using for wood storage?

18. CtRider

CtRider

[​IMG]
    From memory I think it’s 36” wide and these were like 22’. We cut them to 19’ 6” I believe.

19. CtRider

CtRider

Probably ⅔ leaving the right hand side for the maple syrup evaporator and wood splitter during splitting sessions that I’m not hauling it back to the barn.

20. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

That's some heavy metal there. Seen it used to pour suspended concrete floors on. We have a few sheets here at work.

Cash Larue, Chazsbetterhalf and Horkn like this.