In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Matt's Wood Burning Adventures

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by CtRider, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Woodsman

Woodsman

Every time a bell rings, Matt gets a new wood score!

F5E2880A-888E-4F0A-9C2F-941941E76220.jpeg

2. Midwinter

Midwinter

3. CtRider

CtRider

Come to think of it - church related wood scores is probably in the 3-4 cord range, mostly oak and maple. All documented in this thread as well

4. Sluggo

Sluggo

Ct, we have a lot in common. Wife and I moved in about a year ago and inherited a similar situation. I have found tow chains, a maul head, lumber for racks, tarps, etc. You will find that the firewood gig is addictive. I added it to my list of hobbies. it's good outside exercise, especially with hilly terrain. Now, when I am driving, I look at fallen trees and try to figure out if I can scrounge them. Yes, bugs are a problem. I have also brought in two lizards so far. The kind that change from brown to green when they warm up. I guess they hibernate in wood stacks. Have fun!

5. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Good to hear from you. We were loading the trailer one day and my hunny found a rat snake in the stacks...guess who finished loading the trailer...:whistle:...we find lizards all along g too.

6. Aje1967

Aje1967

That is pretty cool. No lizards up here.

T.Jeff Veal and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  7. CtRider

CtRider

Got another load of maple today. Almost brought the trailer, now I wish I did. Had 3 jumbo rounds I couldn’t fit. Was pretty loaded anyway. Those things wouldn’t break off chunks with the isocore and wouldn’t take a wedge. Even noodles a groove for the wedge. Ended up sliding one up some 2x4s but will have to go back for the last 3. Might take the trailer just for the lower loading height. You can see the one we slid in the foreground with the maul against it.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Thor, T.Jeff Veal, Midwinter and 4 others like this.
  8. CtRider

CtRider

Last load from that scrounge. Only 3 rounds. I had to split off the edges. 45 minutes to hand split and load.

One:

[​IMG]

Two:
    [​IMG]

Three:
    [​IMG]

9. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Those gnarly sugar maple rounds can be a major PITA to split by hand. Ill usually noodle them to split size rather than killing myself with the maul. Great firewood though.

10. CtRider

CtRider

I was trying to avoid dragging the hydro out to his house as I don’t think the splitter and the wood would have fit in my truck in one trip back. Sure was a PITA but I only needed to knock off enough I could pick them up. I hate noodling haha.

11. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I hear ya. Not even noodle to quarters to load? With me its the "pretty" split that stacks easily. We have to improvise when scrounging.

12. CtRider

CtRider

Refilling the deck rack today. Couldn’t get syrup going, everything frozen including evaporator in the mud. Wanted to get this rack restocked before baby shows up.

Wishing I was neighbors with Woodsman again.

[​IMG]

13. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Were you guys neighbors? Syrup producers?

Chazsbetterhalf and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  14. CtRider

CtRider

Not neighbors, just good friends, got into syrup about the same time but he went way past hobby haha. We live about 75 minutes from each other.

15. CtRider

CtRider

We welcomed our second child into the world this week. I couldn’t help but notice the view out our window included a decent scrounge haha. “Hey Hon- we should have brought the truck, I could have grabbed that tree!” (Said with Extra sarcasm)

[​IMG]

Sadie Grace born 12:50AM on on February 17th. Weighing 8lbs and 7.6 ounces and measuring 20.75 inches long. Sharing a birthday with Great Papa who turned 97 this year.

Welcome to the world Miss Sadie Grace. We have all been eagerly awaiting your arrival. You are well loved already. Your first name, Sadie, comes from Sarah, Hebrew for “princess”. We hope that you have a heart to serve others through kindness and love as well as the resolve required of royalty. Additionally, your middle name, Grace, acknowledges the grace of Jesus Christ offered to all. We are overjoyed that you are finally here and can’t wait for the many adventures we will have as a family.
    [​IMG]

Phil121, Thor, Woodwidow and 11 others like this.
  16. Midwinter

Midwinter

Smiling already! Congratulations on bringing such a beautiful little girl into your family, and into the world. And best wishes to your wife.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  17. Woodsman

Woodsman

Smiling because she knows she’s headed home to a wood warmed home!

18. Woodsman

Woodsman

Congratulations, Matt!

19. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Congratulations on your new daughter. She is a doll. Really liked you explaining her name, may JESUS always hold her close and she hold HIM closer, in her heart always.

20. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

congrats on the new arrival. Us hoarders have a sharp eye for the wood scrounge dont we?