In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Mattress guidance

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by mywaynow, Jul 18, 2015.

1. BCB

BCB

The return policy for T&N is you donate it to a local shelter and provide them with a copy of the receipt for a refund. You don't return it back to the company.

But I loved mine the first night I slept on it.

wildwest and clemsonfor like this.
  2. Steve

Steve

Clemsonfor: not sure about the Casper return shipping policy, but I'm sure it's stated on their webpage somewhere. My wife & I decided to give it 3 weeks because every mattress will feel 'strange' at first, and because of their generous return policy. At first it seemed too firm. But within two weeks we were loving it. We just had to adjust a bit.

wildwest likes this.
  3. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Mattresses also, especially the foam kinds do soften up as you sleep and move on them. We have a foam one this time and before this one. If you think its slightly too firm, they have told us to walk on it , get your kid to jump on it or you jump on it. As the foam breaks down ot softens up. It doesnt keep doing it though, not like after 2 years your sleeping on a pile of mush though.

Steve likes this.
  4. Steve

Steve

That's reassuring Clemsonfor. A mattress is a pretty big investment for most of us

5. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

We bought a Purple mattress about 3 months ago, liked it enough to buy another for the guest room. My wife is a tough customer too.

She hates “hot” mattresses (I do too but that doesn’t matter :rofl: :lol:) so straight up memory foam or latex was out. I knew a traditional springamathing type was going to be a one in a million shot that would likely result in picking one after another until settling out of exhaustion and living with it for several years until you go buy another expensive sack of springs. BTDT, got the t-shirt that didn’t fit right either. So after several days of research, I took a chance on Purple. Everything they said it would be, no more no less. Price was right, sleeps nice and cool, seemed firm at first but doesn’t create pressure points for her (all 120lbs of her) or me (190lbs). The best part about this and all other “online” mattresses is that I don’t need to take a double shower after leaving the store. And while I wouldn’t classify it as a “martial aid” like the above mentioned pillows, it works at least as well as a traditional spring mattress.

Plus the marketing for these things is a riot!

wildwest, Chvymn99 and clemsonfor like this.
  6. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

clemsonfor what kind of sheets do you use on yours? I have an 8" coming and all my sheets are deep pocket and will fit too loose.

7. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

We use deep pocket. Some of ours are normal king size sheets but after a few days they bust off the edges and slick back towards the center and you got to keep repositioning the sheet corners. I'm not even sure what kind of mattress I have right now I think it's an in-house model for Rooms To Go where we got it from. I think this one maybe spring and foam or lasting was just phone but I think that's when they have Springs in it, but it's deep pocket or deep mattress.

wildwest likes this.
  8. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

2 nights on the new mattress so far. I was beyond exhausted yesterday and was asleep by 7:30, still tossed and turned from hips and shoulders, but I was able to sleep more hours on this one before it got me out of bed. Last night it was hot (I woke up with Nick Nolte hair :rofl: :lol:), but we had lil one between us too.

Sheets worked out better than expected, I put the new 8" mattress right on top of my existing mattress (platform bed, sits pretty low), both the deep pocket mattress pad and the fitted sheet went down over 1/2 the old mattress.

Still have the purple mattress in the back of my mind, it looks so comfortable!

clemsonfor likes this.
  9. Big_6

Big_6

This^ NickNolteMugshot.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

clemsonfor and wildwest like this.
  10. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

clemsonfor likes this.
  11. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Challenges with the new mattress. It's been helpful for hips and shoulders, for sure. But..... The edges are very squishy, WWW and the dogs (ya, they climb up as soon as we nod off) have been migrating to the very center during sleep to avoid the "falling off the cliff or rolling off the bed" sensation leaving me to try to sleep on like a 12" strip of laying surface on my side of the bed. That includes arms and paws getting adjusted comfortably on my face, neck, ribs etc. I caught some crud this week, had worries about a sick family member compounding the poor sleep situation. Running on "No Sleep"

I had an idea to put a swimming pool noodle under the edge of his side of the bed, but guessing his 200 lbs might still squish it down. Any ideas? The company issued a return label for me but my hips and shoulders do appreciate this mattress.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    Lucy and clemsonfor like this.
  12. Lucy

Lucy

Just found this thread. Don't you guys have mattress discount places in your areas? We have several, some are expensive crooks but some are great. They sell the same high dollar mattresses for very cheap, they have minor blemishes (very small in the material not structural). We have bought three mattresses from the place here all for less than 300. This guy is good, he got exactly what i wanted for me, i like very firm mattresses, bad back. I paid 250 for a queen and love it. The exact same one was about 1600 depending on where you looked. I bought a memory foam years ago and really hated it. I like to be able to sit up in bed to read or when you are sick you need to be able to sit. It was a firm mattress but you sink in with your behind and it kills your back. Also twisted my wrist trying to push myself up. Those foam mattresses don't have the resistance the others do. At this low price you can just throw it out when it wears out and get a new one. With the high dollar kind you hang on to them way past your comfort.

wildwest likes this.
  13. Lucy

Lucy

Wildwest have you considered putting a wooden frame around it. I have an old wooden waterbed frame that i refit for one of mine.

wildwest likes this.
  14. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

Not all foam mattresses are created equal. The two Purple units we have have been great (for sitting and sleeping) and I can’t find any disadvantage to a traditional spring mattress other than physically handling/moving the thing. Absolutely ridiculous trying to move it. Imagine trying to move a waterbed mattress without draining the water.

Memory foam is notorious for giving you that sinking feeling. And for being hot.

Latex foam fixes the sinking feeling but does nothing about the heat. And latex just doesn’t have much give to begin with. Think Superball. Yeah, the ones you got out of the gumball machine as a kid.

There are others but they are all pretty much of a variation of polyurethane memory foam or latex foam.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    Lucy, wildwest and clemsonfor like this.
  15. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

No we don't have anything like that around here. Places like Matress Firm, local places, and furniture stores is all that's around here. At all of the above you can get a $300 Matress but it's an awfull summer camp style bed. I can sleep on them and gave and are ok for short stints but I would not want to have to sleep on those for long periods.

Lucy and wildwest like this.
  16. Lucy

Lucy

I am sorry, are there any big cities close by? We first checked all the usual places like JCPenney's, furniture stores and several places that Specialize in Mattresses (they were the worst). and decided what we wanted, then we went to the cheap place and he checked his warehouses and got it for us within the week. When i got the twin for my dogs i checked for "cheap ones" and they were such horrific quality and all over 100 that i went back to the same guy and he had one for 150 a thick firm one just like mine. So my dogs now sleep on $1200 mattress. :dex: The only pain is i now have to buy deep fitted sheets for them.

wildwest likes this.
  17. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I mean I was referring to Greenville SC and Augusta GA. Those are big cities to me but not to someone who is use to say an Atlanta, or Dallas Fort Worth, or Chicago in size but these are pretty big cities with all kinds of stores. Greenville area is probably just under a half a million or there abouts for the metro area.

wildwest likes this.
  18. Lucy

Lucy

F
    Fort Smith, AR isn't all that big only about 88,000 and we sometimes have as many as 3 of them. I think part of the problem is that a lot of those discount stores are fly by nights, they are not listed in the phone book or on the web. They often lease empty warehouses for cheap and move around to save money. You have to drive around to see if you can find one. Bigger cities are just more likely to have more of them. The one we go to is the only one that has been here over 10 years but they have changed their name at least 3 times. It sounds very disreputable but we have been totally happy with ours. Beds are just not a life time investment anymore because even the really expensive ones don't last.

wildwest likes this.
  19. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I'd have no problem buying a $300 Matress from one if it was good and looked new. I just have never heard of anything like that around here. We shoped for months last time we bought one, seemed like we went everywhere from independent furniture stores, to big names like ashley and rooms to go, mattress warehouse places, big Lots you name it.

I have heard there many places that sell returned mattresses at discounts. I wonder of there selling returned ones that were sold to them really cheap?

We have all dlet in strangers beds though so even if so it's no different. Think of hotel beds.

wildwest likes this.
  20. Lucy

Lucy

They are not supposed to be but i guess it could be possible. They are clean and new looking, don't smell. The blemishes we found were imperfections in the cover material, one had a couple very tiny holes in the fabric at the side. I've had that mattress several years now and the holes are just as tiny as they were. You can't see them since the sheets cover them. They may be floor models or returns from people who decided they wanted a different one.
    My husband just mentioned Sam's, if you have them. They sell mattresses but you have to look at them somewhere else and then buy there. They are often quite a bit cheaper. Be careful with Big Lots most of their furniture type stuff is really low quality.

wildwest likes this.