In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Maple ?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by thewoodlands, Jan 11, 2014.

  1. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Once the trail back in freezes again I'll be checking this tree out, I'm hoping Sugar Maple. I'll end up splitting this in the spring, if it's a maple.

    This is down the trail from the area I worked today.
     

    Attached Files:

  2. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    Do you stack the soft maple separately for shoulder season?
     
  3. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Yes, we use pine & hemlock for shoulder season wood.
     
    DexterDay and fishingpol like this.
  4. rookie1

    rookie1

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2013
    Messages:
    938
    Likes Received:
    2,418
    Newbie question, What is and why is it called shoulder season?:rolleyes:
     
  5. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    When it's not real cold out but you still need a fire just to take the chill off, so you use your lower btu woods.
     
  6. BrianK

    BrianK

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,108
    Likes Received:
    11,113
    Location:
    West central PA
    Shoulder season = Spring and fall. It comes from the travel industry:

    1. (travel industry) The time between high and low season in a travelmarket, or, if the market is divided into four segments, the time just below high season.
    ​
     
  7. schlot

    schlot

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    5,256
    Likes Received:
    30,504
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    I'd also call warm stretches of warm weather in the middle of winter "shoulder weather". It will be in the 40s today so I won't need many btu to keep our little house warm. Maple and some uglies today.
     
  8. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,188
    Location:
    Central MI
    I always understood it came from the thing that women have. They get a little cool and wrap something on their shoulders. Doesn't really matter though.

    zap, I can't tell from the picture what that is.
     
    rookie1 likes this.
  9. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    It was at the end of the day (tired & rain coming in) so I was not going for a close up. Unless we get a ton of snow, I'll find out real soon.

    It's either a Maple or Basswood, not many big Basswood in that area.
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  10. rookie1

    rookie1

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2013
    Messages:
    938
    Likes Received:
    2,418
    I believe they call them shawls. I dont know any women that wear them though.:confused:
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  11. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Good BTUs
    hard to tell, but looks like maple
     
  12. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I'm looking forward to bucking it up, it's not that far off the main trail so it should be easy getting to.
     
  13. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I took care of the Maple today, sorry about getting the snow dirty! :axe:I'm not sure if I'll split this tomorrow or this spring but it will make for some nice firewood, attached are some pictures from today.
     

    Attached Files:

    Got Wood? and milleo like this.
  14. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    The last two pictures.
     

    Attached Files:

    Got Wood?, Certified106 and milleo like this.
  15. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    Looks like a lot of buts to me! Great job
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  16. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    It should make for some nice btus, I might be splitting it tomorrow if everything works out.