In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Makes ya think.

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Loon, Sep 15, 2014.

  1. Loon

    Loon

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    6,560
    Likes Received:
    37,138
    Location:
    North of the border
  2. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    It is a tough job and hats off to the folks that do it. Just the pics that Scotty posts on here makes one wonder how do guys like him not get hurt.
    I cut small time stuff and buck tree length that's the extent of my tree work and I'm happy with that.
     
    Jack Straw likes this.
  3. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    I enjoy felling the 5-6 trees I take each year in the winter. A drop in the bucket compared to working loggers. I'm in no hurry on each tree, that's for sure. I spend the time that's needed to prep the area for the drop, like snow shoeing a couple escape paths back and to the side from each stump and really understanding what's up above for possible widow makers. Still, I know chit happens. For now, I love that adrenaline rush of getting em' down safely. It won't always be like this, I know. Having said this, I've never cut for a living, nor could I... I'd starve. The number of trees a guy will cut here in Maine, making a living at it, is nuts. The guys who've been at it for a while know how risky it is and they pay attention. The guys who don't pay attention, well... they usually don't get to be at it for very long.

    You're right Loon... the risk involved makes ya think. Thinking is gooder.
     
  4. rottiman

    rottiman

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    14,437
    Likes Received:
    95,936
    Location:
    XXXXXXXXXXX
    That's why most jobbers in this area have gone to mechanical feller/bunchers.
     
    Stinny likes this.
  5. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Lots of them here too. Used to hear the low rumble of the diesels below us at the farm, at 3 AM, pitch black dark, in ice cold weather... heated cabs, woods lit up like a ball park, they rarely even had to get out... not just exactly like dragging a big saw thru 4' of snow to make a living, is it?
     
    rottiman likes this.
  6. Scotty Overkill

    Scotty Overkill Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2013
    Messages:
    9,777
    Likes Received:
    66,333
    Location:
    Central PA
    Yes it is a dangerous profession for sure, the high price of tree removal/logging is because of the risks involved.....

    Lots of things can happen, lots of variables in this line of work.
     
  7. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    But like most professions, there are dumb loggers too. Those are what make up most of the stats. But yes, accidents can and do happen. They just seem to happen to the dumb ones a lot more often. I've seen some amazing things out there that would make many scream. Some got hurt, a couple got killed, some were just plain lucky.
     
  8. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    I sure wouldn't want to do it for a living.
     
    Stinny likes this.
  9. rottiman

    rottiman

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    14,437
    Likes Received:
    95,936
    Location:
    XXXXXXXXXXX
    I believe the term for that is "Genetic Cleansing"........................
     
    jetjr, Backwoods Savage and Stinny like this.
  10. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    Lots of fun when you are young.
     
    rottiman likes this.