In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Mahindra 4540 4WD

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by thewoodlands, Aug 3, 2016.

1. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I didn't put the plow on last night so before I came in from burning today in the outside fireplace I decided that I should. We'll see if the Lake Effect shifts north some.

2. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

We finally took the backhoe off for the winter and then covered it up. In two different areas under the backhoe main platform we stack 4 x 4's 3 high and then 2 high under the boom and then lower it so it takes the pressure off the stabilizers and the dipper for the winter.

Tomorrow the 3 point tractor drawbar will go on and then some stacking with some cherry we have.

I also cleaned up a bunch of dead pine branches that were blocking a trail and then had a nice fire with them.

I just decided to get a picture (4:00 pm) that whole area in picture 1047 was full of dead pine branches.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  3. Flamestead

Flamestead

Busy doing similar things this weekend, getting the summer equipment put in under cover as much as possible. Last minute bushogging yesterday, finishing in the snow last night. Feels good to be ready to shift seasons.

4. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

It sure does, the sleds are next. They're calling for 4-7 inches of snow from late Monday thru Tuesday, we usually get the 4 but I'll put the plow on the 4540 tomorrow before I call it a day.

How much are they calling for in your area?

5. Flamestead

Flamestead

We got 4” last night, which was our first measurable snow. I didn’t bother to plow because we were pretty sunny most of the day, and it really settled. They are calling for 3” to 7” on Tuesday, so I’ll have some to move for sure. I use a 3-pt scraper and the bucket to move the snow. The town plows right up to the barn, but I have a couple hours of cleanup and pushing back after a decent storm. I’m ready and looking forward to it.

6. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

In picture 1059, I took out a stump with the 028 Wood Boss which will allow me to pull through that area with the 4540. In picture 1060 the thin small pine will come down which will make it even easier to pull into that area. In picture 1061 I pushed the split pine back even further and 1062 I finally put the plow on, they're calling for a total (high end) nine inches.

Next year I'll dig that stump out in picture 1059.

Attached Files:

7. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

Woody, how would you compare the tractor plow to the rhino plow? Pros/Cons?

Hammy and thewoodlands like this.
  8. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

The rhino with the plow will only push it so far but the tractor with the loaded wheels and all the weight will push it to your place.

When we received between 22-24 inches of wet snow overnight last winter, the tractor walked through it like nothing when the rhino would've had a tough time doing the job.

Hammy and Well Seasoned like this.
  9. Well Seasoned

I'm glad you didn't push it to my place.

brenndatomu, Hammy and thewoodlands like this.
  10. Hammy

Hammy

thewoodlands how wide is your blade and who is the manufacturer. I have been debating getting one. Won’t get one this year but we are starting to save for a brush mower in the spring then either a front blade or snowblower. Great pictures as always.

thewoodlands likes this.
  11. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

It's a seven footer (83 1/2 inches wide) and 24 inches high. Even though I'm outside, I like it better than plowing with the Ford truck.

I think we received between 5 - 6 inches of the white stuff so I did the neighbor's driveway after ours.

Canadian border VT and Hammy like this.
  12. Hammy

Hammy

Sounds like a great tool. Thanks.

thewoodlands likes this.
  13. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I fired up the 4540 this morning so we could use it to put in eight bags of pellets (done) after we did that I scraped the driveway down and a few spots near the outdoor fireplace.

Hammy likes this.
  14. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I used the 4540 to move our utility trailer out of a plow zone up to an area out of the way. It was nice walking that through the woods without the tires spinning (the truck) I dropped the ball under the hitch and then raised it which was nice.

I plowed the driveway after I did some roof raking even though I don;t think we're in for any heavy rains. The last picture is in the woods around the house after I did some plowing near the wood stacks.

Attached Files:

Well Seasoned, Hammy and Chvymn99 like this.
  15. Well Seasoned

Nice to just lift & go. Are you happy with whatever brand 3pt hitch you have?

16. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

Yes, once we purchased what I call the A-frame (it goes from the drawbar to the top) it stops the drawbar from swiveling so I use it more.

17. Well Seasoned

Reading through this thread you mentioned last year waiting a year to see if you need chains. Will you be running Any this year to plow or are your r4s doing good w/o them. Are you plowing any hills?

Hammy likes this.
  18. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

It will be another year without chains, it's mostly flat until you get a certain distance from the garage and then you have an incline which can get real icy but the tires handled that (ice) without a problem last year.

19. Well Seasoned

You ever consider getting a sand spreader?

Hammy and thewoodlands like this.
  20. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

Yes, but we didn't pull the trigger on that. We would need a storage area for our sand first so maybe next year.