In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Mahindra 4540 4WD

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by thewoodlands, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

That is great getting the wood chips and yes, they work great for the lanes in the woods. Just be careful that first year in case yellow jackets decide to nest in there. After the first year there should be no problem.

2. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

We've never had a problem with all the other pine chips we've used but there's always a first.

They delivered three loads of pine chips which saved them taking them about five miles north. They have some big old white pines across the street near the houses (healthy trees but dangerous to the houses and people) I would say they should cost upward of $1500.00 per tree to take down,chip some and then haul the biggest away.

Gasifier and Backwoods Savage like this.
  3. Backwoods Savage

Yeah, you are right in that pine chips should not be a problem. Hardwood can be.

SKEETER McCLUSKEY likes this.
  4. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I moved another five loads of chips to the trails today, we have 249 hours on the 4540. 100_0619.JPG

We had an appointment in Canton NY around 2 pm so when we came back I started a fire and then headed back outside to move some pine branches over to the outside fireplace for burning tomorrow.

Attached Files:

Chvymn99, Gasifier, Thor and 4 others like this.
  5. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I did get rid of the rest of the pine branches along with three bucket loads of a mixture of woods, after we cooked some dogs for supper over the coals.

We have just over 250 hours on the 4540. 100_0624.JPG

Attached Files:

Chvymn99, Gasifier, Thor and 4 others like this.
  6. yooperdave

yooperdave

Looks better with snow on the ground.

But 8 dogs??? cooing for friends too? 4 legged friends?

Looks good and warm.

7. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

It sure does, we'll have the rest for a few more meals.

This was the first snow that our dog saw, she loves the colder weather and being out in it.

8. Backwoods Savage

I know a few folks on this forum who are about the same.

thewoodlands, yooperdave and Hammy like this.
  9. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

With winter just around the corner, I decided that some rounds of semi dead pine should get split and then burned, done.

After that I took the 4540 down in the area that I dug the last stump out to cover and smooth that area out, almost done. I took the bucket off and then put the pallet forks on to remove the stump, done. We decided that we would take another three or four pine down (that will give the house even more sun) and if mother nature allows it, maybe three more pine will come down.

Attached Files:

10. Gasifier

Gasifier

Nice work the thewoodlands. Hopefully the snow will hold off another couple weeks here at my place. I'd like to do some more trail work before the snow flies and the ground freezes up.

11. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I'm going by the week, this week will be another good week for doing that chit but after that we might get whacked with some good snows, we'll see.

I don't think that I'll get everything done before winter hits but we've done alot around the house.

Backwoods Savage, Hammy and Gasifier like this.
  12. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I priced out some in Canton NY, they want 90 some per plus delivery. We've been clearing a section of our woods so we can put the backhoe there for the winter, today when the wife came over to that area we talked about taking more trees out so we can build a shed. We'll see what it will cost to pour our own.

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  13. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

100_0642.JPG We took two pines down in that area I started in the spring, pic 0635 is the first and 0639 is the second pine. The first pine was bucked up and then taken to the pine splitting pile but the second one is still in the hole but limbed up.

I took four loads of pine branches over to the fireplace so I could burn some.

Attached Files:

Thor, Backwoods Savage, Hammy and 2 others like this.
  14. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I finally got the rest of the better pine bucked up and brought over to the splitting pile, four loads. I then brought two more loads of pine branches with the pallet forks over to the fireplace for burning.

Before that Dave from the Wood Chop Shop came over to install a inline orifice/restrictor in the hose coming out of the radiator (it makes the 4540 run warmer), it did the trick. When he was here I changed the fuel filter which went well.

Attached Files:

Thor, Backwoods Savage, Hammy and 2 others like this.
  15. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I didn't have the camera with me because we were outside putting up a dog run, done. After putting up the dog run with the help of my wife, I moved some split pine out of the area I've been working along with a pine log we might mill.

I also moved a bucket of good pine rounds over to the splitting pile. The last thing I did was take another load of pine chips down to the area I moved the other chips to.

We have just over 259 hours on the 4540, it's almost time to make sure the plow works.

Hammy, yooperdave, Thor and 1 other person like this.
  16. Backwoods Savage

Yes, it won't be long before you will need that plow.

Hammy and thewoodlands like this.
  17. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

We'll see how far north that lake effect gets come Thanksgiving.

Hammy and Backwoods Savage like this.
  18. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I just saw on TV that they're calling for 10-12 inches of snow in western NY and about the same for south of Watertown NY on 11-19.

Gasifier, Hammy and yooperdave like this.
  19. Backwoods Savage

Yikes. But it is getting to be that time of year!

yooperdave and thewoodlands like this.
  20. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I did move two more loads of pine today and then moved some smaller stumps along with some junk wood over to the fireplace.

I finally moved this cable from the woods to the trailer so I can take it to the dump and then put it in the container for junk metal. The area the cable came from will become a new work area that will include a bunch of dead pine coming down with some dead pine being cleared from the ground. 100_0654.JPG

Attached Files: