In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Low Prices of Harman Igniters Right Now

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by Orson_Yancey, Dec 30, 2022.

1. Orson_Yancey

Orson_Yancey

I recently looked at the prices for Harman igniters for the P-Series. The prices are only $12 to
    $15 from well-known stove parts dealers. I think these are real Harman US-made igniters coming
    from some well-know stove parts dealers. If I recall correctly, back in 2015-2016 when I priced
    igniters, the prices were in the range of $50 to $70 each.

Since 2015-2016, when the prices of igniters seemed high to me, I ran my stove in manual
    igniter mode so as to keep a fire continuously. Back then, I was worried about wearing out an
    igniter (perhaps I suffered from "igniter envy" or "igniter failure phobia", or whatever the APA calls the psychological
    condition these days, with the advent of pellet stoves)

Twelve to fifteen dollars seems like a very low price for Harman igniters. I wonder if Harman has
    made a decision to sell the igniters "at cost" because igniters are the highest wear-out part of a Harman
    stove. Fear of igniter failure may have kept many people from fully enjoying their stoves.

Now, seeing that the cost of an igniter is equal to only two bags of wood pellets, I think I will consider
    running in automatic igniter mode during this upcoming should season. It is time for me to purchase and
    stock several igniters.

imacman likes this.
  2. bogieb

bogieb

The prices you were quoting from years gone by seemed high to me. But, looking back, I bought a spare 15 fin igniter in 2015 for $55. I'm guessing the reason I bought it was all the scare stories about needing to "save the igniter" by running in manual.

Both stoves are still on their originals and most of the time I run in room temp / auto. BUT, it never hurts to have spare parts so you have them when you need them.

Orson_Yancey, imacman and jtakeman like this.
  3. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

$55 is cheap compared to some of the multifuel torch type. My replacement is over $300 these days. I think I paid around $200 for my spare. That was 7 years ago.

I'm less worried now as torch lighting is so much easier that I thought.

4. Orson_Yancey

Orson_Yancey

I have been lighting with a torch probably since about 2015. It is quite easy. I get a fire in about 20 to 30 seconds.
    Moreover, I mix some fines with softwood pellets that I place in the burn pot, before I torch-up a fire.
    The fines catch fire quickly; the whole pellets hold the heat like charcoals.
    I use a cheap propane torch. I use 1/2 bottle of propane of a 1 lb. bottle per winter.

But this Spring, I will run in auto igniter for a while.

bogieb, imacman and jtakeman like this.
  5. joescho

joescho

I was looking at the igniters on Amazon for my 52i, and there's some for 20, and some for $70. Am I right in assuming the $20 igniters are made cheaply and will not last long, or are the OEM dealers gouging?

6. Orson_Yancey

Orson_Yancey

I wonder if the feedback from other Amazon buyers will give an idea of the quality. When I see a product
    from one seller at a fraction of a price of what other sellers offer, then I look closely on whether it is a
    Chinese knock-0ff. I try to purchase the same brand name as OEM.

bogieb and imacman like this.
  7. In the Pines

In the Pines

no experience with pellet stove igniters but I bought an igniter off amazon for a steam kettle.
    Commercial restaurant equipment is made of gold evidently so when I saw this
    They claimed it was OEM and it was a good price, at least half what the parts houses wanted.
    It lasted 2 months I think? Needless to say I made sure the next one was OEM and paid more..
    There wasn't any written feedback on the part so I took the chance. BUT if there is reviews I read critical reviews now, hard to trust/believe any of the 4-5 star reviews.

Orson_Yancey, bogieb and imacman like this.
  8. imacman

imacman

"You get what you pay for"

Rich250 and bogieb like this.