In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

LOTS of Wind tonight in the PNW

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by B.Brown, Sep 7, 2020.

1. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

I feel better now. Glad it is far away. Sorry you have to put up with the ash and smoke though. It is quite a nuisance.

2. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Woops, fire blew up yesterday and today, 13K to 35K acres. Too bad, our neighbors have/had a cabin up there that is likely gone, and two interesting out of town restaurants we like are in jeopardy. Tired of wildfires, moved here to get away from them.

Midwinter likes this.
  3. B.Brown

B.Brown

Oh boy, don't envy you at all, too bad about the neighbors cabin.

4. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Can't like this. I saw the pictures you posted on another site. :eek: Hope it stays away from your home. Our prayers are with y'all.

Midwinter, wildwest and metalcuttr like this.
  5. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Thanks Jeff :) I don't believe it will come down to us but appreciate the prayers. I have a bad feeling about that historic lodge up there :(

Thank goodness a break from the smoke this morning. Our eyes and throat and noses are messed up, and I can't taste well.

T.Jeff Veal and Midwinter like this.
  6. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

:headbang:

Mandatory evacuation. This SUCKS!

T.Jeff Veal, Midwinter and Eckie like this.
  7. Erik B

Erik B

Hope all goes well for you and family.:handshake:

8. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I'm NOT a happy camper, it's a lot harder than it looks.

T.Jeff Veal, Midwinter and Eckie like this.
  9. Midwinter

Midwinter

Ugh, that's terrible luck. I hope you come out of this with no damage.

T.Jeff Veal and wildwest like this.
  10. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Well, I guess we're not leaving til tomorrow unless it gets bad.

11. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

I believe you are in a very defensible location. It may be good to clear out for cleaner air, but you'll be ok.
    Mother Nature is sending a cold front with moisture tomorrow night, that will help up there.

12. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Thanks, that is the consensus on the road, defensible trees wise yes, but we do not have tap water or fire hydrants out here, so....

The Sheriff's came by (door to door in evac areas), and unlike Lory State Park for High Park Fire, he asked *if* we were leaving instead of get out now you have 40 minutes left to pack, phew! The fire at our previous house was much closer and we were in the mountains, it was dangerous compared to here.

My Duramax is broke so WWW switched trucks with one of the guys at work so we have a 5th wheel towing truck and I am 75% packed and assembled if the fire comes over mountain, just a few minutes of loading into the trailer and we will be off. OR, if they shut off the power, we'd split then too.

I truly hope Mother Nature's gift helps. Also wondering about kiddo's school, it's just beyond the evac zone but last time the firefighters used it as command center :popcorn:

I took pictures of all our appliances and model numbers, and a pic of the 1/4 side beef in the freezer, last time we lost 2 fridges and a freezer (300 lbs buffalo meat :headbang:) from rotting food that contaminated them with electricity off for 3 weeks.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    Midwinter, Eckie and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  13. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Also thinking about the vehicles, both Duramax and FJ have full coverage, Blaze is only liability and has easily 2x the cargo room the FJ has..... Except the Blaze does not have air conditioning nor the new A/C filters for the smoke while driving. :popcorn:

14. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Oh, and it's 80,000 acres today

15. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

Has your wind died down a bit? It's calm here now, but really blustery today. Humidity is increasing, you can feel it.
    If you can see a glow on the horizon, it's fine for the time being. It's most probably going to drop south and east, due to the system coming in tomorrow. You'll be fine tonight, and by 8:00 in the morning, the "big scoops" can be airborne and dropping water across your south 40. Don't stress, they got this. :yes:
    edit- If you can, take some pictures of the tankers when they re-fill from the lake. That'd be really cool.

16. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Thanks :) I took a video the other day, I'll text you, I don't know how to post here and did not think to take pics. The glow was the wrong word, it's a spot fire, from exactly what you mentioned, the gusts earlier and it just took off. There are several flood lights down there now so I hope they get it. And with calmer winds tomorrow both heli and tanker drops.

17. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Yes, wind has calmed down A LOT, and it's blowing away from us for once so we can breath better.

18. B.Brown

B.Brown

Sorry to hear this, but, your Live's are worth much, much, more than any material ''things'' When things were really getting bad, and if the fire jumped the river below us, we'd be in bad shape. I have a couple of harley's a nice FJ, and some other things i thought were important to me. That day i told my wife its just junk if it burns and its not important to me anymore. Its just stuff, it made me feel good to look at it that way when others in other towns were loosing EVERY THING they ever owned. Its insured and so be it. We are over 70 and it would be a joke to try to start over again, so, we packed what we thought was crucial and got ready to leave. We didn't have to, THANK GOD. There are about 4 smaller towns to the north east of us that basically don't exist anymore, they are totally destroyed. We are VERY BLESSED to have not had the fire's come any closer than they were. Now they are talking 35% containment, still a long ways from 100% when you are talking HUGE fires.

wildwest, metalcuttr, Erik B and 4 others like this.
  19. B.Brown

B.Brown

Glad to hear this.

20. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Glad to hear that both of you have dodged the bullets so far! Hope the weather soon puts an end to the danger for good!

T.Jeff Veal, Eckie, Midwinter and 2 others like this.