In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

LOTS of Wind tonight in the PNW

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by B.Brown, Sep 7, 2020.

1. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Not sure if this is relevant for you, but we had a fire near us a couple years ago and there was a facebook page for the firefighters asking for some essentials. Main request was bug spray (small town and it was sold out during mosquito season), but if your inclined you could take a peek.

Edit, and 0% alcohol beer like Beetle-Kill said :)

2. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    has anyone heard from FatBoy85 or Sugarbug87 lately? Aren't they in Washington State?

3. tamarack

tamarack

The smokey sky today. This was in warm springs OR. Been getting more fall like temps in the morning, and a rain storm would be so nice.

Attached Files:

4. B.Brown

B.Brown

Well at about 2:30 AM we started getting lightning, and thunder, but, its been raining a little bit as well, the streets are wet, but, the lightning did hit some ground just out of town. Its fairly calm now, just a light misting of rain. No more lightning or thunder around here its 3:52 am. The county Rd dept had a guy get hurt pretty bad. He's got a broken femur, some back injuries and cuts and bruises. He was, or had, fell a tree and when it hit the ground, the tree next to it dropped a top on him! At 65 ft tall even a small top can do a lot of damage, it did, and he's in the local hospital with the injuries he got from it. He's also there for 2 wks since they have a quarantine thing going over there with the covid 19. another good note, his house survived a fire, didn't get touched!! His boss told me last night, it was crazy that it didn't get burned down. A lot of the town John lives in, did get burned up. maybe this rain well clean up the air just a tad around here. thanks again for the the Prayers, like i've said, they are at work, we are blessed in more way's than you can imagine.

5. B.Brown

B.Brown

they are doing a good job of getting some things like that together for these guys on the fire line, thanks for the thought!!

6. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

I haven't heard from them lately, I know they live across Puget Sound

7. B.Brown

B.Brown

We had a pretty good thunder and lightning show early this morning around 2 am. It went on for about 45 min, then it started to rain, and it rained a lot, i thought, checked the rain gauge just now. .33 of an inch, and its still coming down really good right now. They told on the news, this storm is right above the holiday farm fire, which is 170,000 acres i believe. That's good news. You might get tired of me saying this, but, Prayers DO WORK, and its showing right now with all this good old oregon rain coming down. thanks again!

8. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Sure wish we would get some of that rain! It was forecast for last night but so far none. Air seems a bit better but still smoky. Still, if it is a case of "The Good Lord gives the most to those that need it the most" then take it all and you are welcome to our share also! Glad to hear it is easing up a bit for you folks.

9. Eckie

Eckie

People try hard, but it's the good Lord that puts fires like that out. Don't nobody pray for rain like a farmer and a firefighter does....

10. B.Brown

B.Brown

image.jpeg image.jpeg Pictures of rain we just had a while ago. Believe it or not i had cleaned the gutters just the other day, but the maple seeds on the roof washed into the gutters. Most fun i've had in a while, cleaning these gutters again,

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  11. B.Brown

B.Brown

Actually SAW blue sky today for the first time in 7 days! Boy its nice to have it rain, and the sky clear for now. Your right about the GOOD LORD putting fires like this out, 170,000 acres with 6% containment, is nothing to him. One thing for sure, the people (?) who run this state sure dropped the ball on these fires. they had been warned a long time ago this could happen.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  12. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

My Dad had a friend during WWII that was a Conscientious Objector. He was waived from combat because his job was considered essential here in the States but he was still labeled a coward by some. He was a Smoke Jumper in Idaho. I suspect he was no coward. Heroes come in all shapes and sizes and jobs and beliefs!
    Pretty solid rain here also for the better part of 24 hours. The birds and small critters have all been dancing a jig. Yesterday dawned clear and the air was sweet with not a hint of smoke. I left the widows open last night and it rained again. Actually enjoyed hearing the gutters gurgling away but, like you, I have to clean them again. Unfortunately now all our smoke has moved east to plague others.

13. B.Brown

B.Brown

on the contrary, smoke jumpers without a doubt are some of the BRAVEST people out there, imagine jumping INTO the belly of the beast (fire) then , fighting that beast. Hero's? much, much, more than that. Glad you got some rain, i noticed on the radar map that it was headed your way. I was loving every second of that rain coming down. In fact now, i have brand new shoots of grass coming up already, i'm sure the watering of the yard to keep the grass damp due to the high heat, and chance of a fire in the dead grass helped the grass to take off.

14. tamarack

tamarack

The east side got about 4 hours of rain on Thursday night. Enough to get most of the smoke outa here. And I totally agree with the above post, a smoke jumper is certainly no coward. All firefighters are heroes in my book.

15. B.Brown

B.Brown

I knew a couple of smoke jumpers, lol, they were quite the characters, lol. Your right about the firefighters too. Glad you guys got the rain as well, boy, did we ever need it!! Our air quality was like 448 or more the other day, today its at 41 real time. Supposed to be 31 tomorrow, with more rain starting wens, though friday, my grass is growing!!! Right now outside with the exception of a little tint of smoke, its about as perfect out there as you can get.

16. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

We are totally smoked out, smoke and sometimes ash blowing directly over my house. ICK! Thrilled you all over there had some rain and some relief from the smoke.

Midwinter, T.Jeff Veal and Eckie like this.
  17. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Bomber tanker scooping from the lake. (for now, a few flooded homes sued and the court upheld it :headbang: so it will be a puddle in couple years). Woops sorry, I was going to add a video and forgot it has to be youtube. Well it's really neat, so loud and directly over my house on approach. He's doing load after load.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    Eckie, T.Jeff Veal and Midwinter like this.
  18. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Wow! They added another tanker bomber and they flew a few minutes apart all afternoon into the evening scooping up water near my house in the lake in the front. Then crazy SHARP turns as the ascended up because there is a hogback mountain that direction. Then dump on the fire and back again. Amazing seeing them flying so low and close. We had a break in the smoke this afternoon and everytime they flew by kiddo cheered from the trampoline and I cheered and clapped from the patio. God Bless those fighting fires everywhere.

19. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

How close is the fire and are you all in any danger or need to evacuate? Now I'm worried again! Hope it is just an

T.Jeff Veal, Midwinter and wildwest like this.
  20. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

We are not in danger :) It's 18 mi as the eagle flies. Also, we are not in the mountains here, rather on a desert plain, so worst could be a grass fire from what I could guess, it's pretty desolate where I live.

Edit, worse would be a grass fire if it came down off the mountain it is on, then up and over the hog back I live next to.

Thanks for checking in on us!

It's closer to cut zone Mag Craft uses to cut his wood.