In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

LOTS of Wind tonight in the PNW

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by B.Brown, Sep 7, 2020.

1. bushpilot

bushpilot

2. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Glad you are OK and back on the grid! Lots of smoke here in Lakewood also. Has kept me inside and not processing a trailer load of Doug Fir I got day before yesterday. Hope it clears up for us all soon!

3. bushpilot

bushpilot

Lots of smoke here yesterday and today. It's supposed to clear some tomorrow.

4. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

5. B.Brown

B.Brown

Still lots of smoke, and this morning some one lit another 10 fires!!! that is correct 10 more, but, they were extinguished fairly fast. I heard the first call on the scanner at 1:40 am.Then apparently this person stared at the west end of the county and ended up at the east end. White or silver 90's nissian pickup with black canopy, no one's seen it as of today. They figure the person went to the eastern end of the county around 3-4 am. The one 31 yr old woman they caught the other day, with a guy, but, the guy bailed, her bail was $9,000 dollars with a $1,000 bond, she's already bailed out. This catch and release thing i don't understand. People around here are really getting tired of this, they are building a huge fire line on the south east of town up in the hills from what i've been told. Using feller bunchers to drop the tree's and a big, cat to cut the ground. We might get a little rain this week, Please PRAY we do, we need it bad.

Saw a picture of one of the fire fighting crews all asleep during the day time, really got to me, these crews need a lot of Prayers as well. Its very dangerous work, its not how much of the fire is contained as it is the amount NOT contained. at this point its 95% not contained, its serious. They are talking no real containment until it rains. And, one of the local schools is raving about climate change being the problem, its more than that trust me, My personal opinion, i'll keep to myself at this time. thank you for asking. forgot to add, this evening at 6pm i saw the sun for the first time in 4 days, there were wispy clouds in front of it. It gave me some hope, i'm optimistic we'll get some rain.

6. Erik B

Erik B

Here in western Wisconsin we have been having a very milky looking sky due to the smoke from the fires out west. I saw the sun before it set and it was a large orange ball in the sky. It is amazing how something so destructive can produce something that looks awesome. All of you out west, stay safe and you are in our prayers.

7. B.Brown

B.Brown

image.jpeg

Here is a picture taken at 7:22am today the clearest the sky has been for the past week. And,thank you VERY much for the Prayers, much appreciated

8. Midwinter

Midwinter

We have smoke haze at 25,000 feet all the way out in NH. I feel so sorry for all the folks out west affected by this.

9. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Prayers up B. And also for LEO's

10. B.Brown

B.Brown

thank you again, its working.

11. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Still quite smokey here. We did have a kiss of rain last night and early morning. The air actually smelled good so I opened up the house to flush out the stale air. Then it was button back up and run the air purifier full blast. A bit warm in and out. I wish I could run the air conditioner but our stand up unit requires makeup air (crack a window) which would just be sucking in more smoke. Looking for some relief at the end of the week. I guess I should count my blessings compared to what other folks are going through! You guys are still in our thoughts B.Brown

12. tamarack

tamarack

The air quality in Oregon is horrible. I'm so hoping that the rains will hit on the coast and willamette valley. I'm east of the Cascades so it might be weeks before we get any real precipitation. The firefighters are true American heroes, this has been a very hard pull for all of them.

13. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

If you get a chance to run across any front-line crews, bring 'em some 0% alcohol beer. You'll need 30 minimum. They will appreciate it beyond words.
    Speaking from past experience.

14. B.Brown

B.Brown

thank you, it means a lot to all of us

15. B.Brown

B.Brown

Some good news, we've been down graded !! That means we are not at this time threatened by any close fires. Thank GOD. we still have a stagnate layer of air holding the smoke in the valley's. It was pretty smokey today/ most of the day. Might get a little rain!! That would be a real blessing, if we do, it'll just be a little bit, will probably evaporate before it hits the ground, especially in the hot zones. All in all its been a good day. thanks again for the Prayers

16. B.Brown

B.Brown

Just got a email from a friend of mine who is on one of the fires. First, they use feller , bunchers to ''hug'' the trees, then they cut them off move them to the other side of the roadway. They have cats coming from behind and cut every thing down to the dirt, it'll be a 30 ft wide fire line when they finish and it will all be dirt, with NO heavy fuel to feed the fire. This is on the ''Holiday Farm'' Fire in Oregon. The weathers cooperating as well, and has cooled down some what. GOD IS IN CONTROL of this situation!! These guys are gettin it done, there's lots of good men up there on these fire lines, Please keep them ALL in your Prayers, thank you .

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  17. B.Brown

B.Brown

this is a feller buncher upload_2020-9-16_22-46-4.jpeg

it grabs the tree, cut's it off, and, can rotate around, and lay the tree down, its fast, and can really clear out the ground.

18. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Yes they are fast, works great on hills.

19. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

0916201850.jpg 0916201850a.jpg We are in VA for a few days. Lot of haze here, sun looked like the moon.

20. Eckie

Eckie