In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Lost in the "woods"

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Qualityytm, Sep 27, 2020.

1. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

We've had a Lopi Liberty since 2008 or 09, we've never had a problem with.

Stinny and Horkn like this.
  2. TheJohnHarris

TheJohnHarris

I had a Lopi Evergreen installed on Monday. So far, I love it.

thewoodlands and Horkn like this.
  3. bushpilot

bushpilot

I bought an Englander NC-30, and installed it myself with everything new and high quality. In all it set us back about $2500, including the custom hearth I made. It was worth every penny of that, and we are very happy with it.

Today, I would guess the total cost would hit $3000 or so for an equivalent NC-32 install. If you have basic diy skills you can do it.

Biddleman, moresnow and Horkn like this.
  4. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

Welp...not speaking from a lot of experience here, but, we got a Jotul F500 from CL, used for a very good price ($1400) having searched most.of the summer. DW and I spent an afternoon together on pilgrimage to Preston (stove shop) and got some stove supplies(cement, refractory, gaskets, advice). I bought my 25' SS liner ($900ish). Am paying a few hundred.for someone to do some.brick chimney rebuild and drop the liner down for me.

While I'm willing to learn masonry, this not the time or place. We'll go fetch double walled stove pipe, and do the rest of the install on our own once the liner is in.

We've redone the room the stove is going into, so there arent any inspection issues. Everything we've chosen to do, was based on what i could do myself, or with the money available (so piece of steel on the floor for less than $50 vs. tiling or other things.

Having multiple.contractors in is also useful, you get to hear their ideas and how to's, and then pick the one who will do the work.you are not going to do.

I got 6 estimates for the gas.coversion and roof, each, before i selected one.

Trade food for help!

Best,
    Sca

5. Stinny

Stinny

Had a Lopi Liberty for 6 years. No issues. Love it.

6. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

I do not believe I saw Osburn stoves mentioned. Not bad stoves. I have one and no complaints.

There is one more consideration about choosing a stove. The steel stoves have a tendency to make snapping noises when heating up and cooling down. It does not bother me I have become accustomed to it but I believe cast stoves do not have this problem. Anyone else have some experience with this chime in.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  7. Dumf

Dumf Banned

Final thoughts.
    All of the above have had time with their stoves; the experience is worth taking.
    Think about the cost PER YEAR over the life of the product/stove.
    Buying from a pro dealer who also installs can be great deal over time and safety; you can deal.
    Get the stove that has a strong track record with experienced users here and other sites for quality and customer service :
    Jotul
    Woodstock
    BK
    Pacific Energy

All of these manufacturers make (9001 certified stoves ). Call them.

8. SD Steve

SD Steve

Just all my chimney parts was about 5k. Then the stove was almost $1000 delivered to the house. No one here will install chimneys because of the liability risk. So, i had to install the chimney myself. I finished it in February when it was 2'F outside. I had to rent a scissor lift, too. Sorry for the poor quality picture 20190202_174600.jpg

amateur cutter likes this.
  9. Dumf

Dumf Banned

Why a cellar stove Steve ?
    Outside flues lose a lot of heat, and can cost as you found.
    Nice job though.

10. SD Steve

SD Steve

My house is 92 years old, so the original chimney isn't capable of being used anymore. And when I had the steel roof put on, the guys said that they cannot guarantee a leak-free roof because they could not seal around the chimney appropriately. So, they had to take it down below the roofline. Then talking with my wife about the mess that will come with burning wood, she said she didn't want that in the house. So the only option left was in the basement. Thats where 95% of my plumbing is anyway. And if we ever lost power for longer than a couple hours, that is what i want to protect. I will be insulating my basement better come this spring.

Quick story, this last Christmas, my boys (13 and 12 at the time) and I were sitting hip to hip with a good hot fire going about 12 feet away on the couch in the basement playing Call of Duty, every man for himself. Waiting for Santa. Ahh....memories....

11. Dumf

Dumf Banned

Makes sense. Thx.

12. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

How much is the stove itself vs. chimney parts vs. labor? That may give us an idea where you can try to save some $. Also, as above, the Pacific Energy steel stoves are tried-and-true at a moderate cost compared to cast iron and soapstones offered by PE or other brands. They give a very high value/cost ratio and will last several lifetimes. There are other quality steel stoves as above too.