In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Looking for opinions on indoor boiler

Discussion in 'Non-EPA Woodstoves and Fireplaces' started by cornykid75, Feb 9, 2020.

1. cornykid75

cornykid75

So my aging mother has an econoheat indoor boiler that is tied to a rapid recovery propane boiler. System was a good idea in the 80's, or at least I thought it was. I had to tend the fire for her this winter, she is cheap and burns wood as much as she can. So anyway, the boiler needs a new door gasket at the very least. It has a damper on the door to regulate the fire and if the house dosen't call for heat it will pop off the pressure relief valve. So she just nurses the fire along with a few pieces here and there to keep some heat in the system when one of the zones calls for it. I'm guessing most of the heat goes up and out the chimney. So to make this easier for her I am considering three options:
    1: do the maintenance that had been neglected over the years. New door gasket, damper sealed up (?), install a dump valve on a zone to capture the heated water instead of dumping in on the basement floor. (I'm not sold that this system is the most efficient)
    2: Do the above and add some hot water storage to the existing system, so she will only have to "fire" the stove a couple of times a day. (This concept seems to have some merit, not sure on cost of storage units)
    Or
    3: Untie the systems. Run some ductwork in the basement and run a wood furnace to distribute hot air. The house has radiant baseboards that the propane can and has handled for the three zones. I'm guessing she would roast herself out of the house with the amount of wood she burns with the indoor boiler this way.
    I would estimate that she burns about 4 loggers cord a winter with the current system, and 1000 gallon of propane. The house is about 1600sf its insulated to 80's standards with new windows. Not drafty at all.
    Any advise is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

2. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Do the maintenance and install storage...or go wood furnace. That's my vote...

3. cornykid75

cornykid75

Thanks. Anyone else have an indoor boiler?

In the Pines and Screwloose like this.
  4. fox9988

fox9988

4 cords and 1000 gallons of propane for 1600 sqft o_O.
    In what state?

5. cornykid75

cornykid75

Northern Wisconsin. Exactly what I was thinking. And she's not terribly comfortable. New windows. Last year.

6. fox9988

fox9988

I don't have any experience with boilers or furnaces. One big cat stove should cut her fuel usage by 2/3 and keep the house toasty and stable.

7. cornykid75

cornykid75

Thanks, I'm leaning towards the wood stove in the basement with ductwork idea. I love chainsaws and cutting up her wood. I just never realized that she wasn't very warm and cozy when she was burning. So anyone have any recommendations for a wood "furnace"? I think it's a 6" flue, maybe 8. I'll measure top be sure.

8. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Englander 28-4000 if you want a manual controlled furnace.
    Drolet Tundra II for something a bit fancier.
    Kuuma Vaporfire if you want the best.
    And if you lean toward either of the first two, buy them now, they will not be available anymore after the EPA 2020 rules kick in on May 15th. (Unless Drolet comes out with a Tundra III, and I hear they are, but it will be more $ no doubt)
    And you need to have a 6" flue for almost anything these days...

9. cornykid75

cornykid75

That's good information to know, thank you, thank you.

10. cornykid75

cornykid75

Anyone have any advise on a woodchuck? I've seen a few used ones for sale. Made by the guys that make some great tough farm equipment. Anyone have one?
    Thanks

Screwloose likes this.