In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Looking around

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Backwoods Savage, May 10, 2014.

  1. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,156
    Location:
    Central MI
    Was out looking around a few days ago. It is good to see some green for a change. This first picture shows some of the poles we use for stacking the wood on. It also shows one stack of wood where we used a couple of the long pallets from Pallet Pete. Our first time to use pallets.

    This picture also shows some of the wood cut in 2011-2012 and no, it is still not all stacked. I've stacked a little bit a few times this spring but still not done. With a really bad back the work sometimes goes slow.

    103_0157.JPG

    This shows a little bit of the pine we cut this past winter.
    103_0158.JPG
    Some more pine and one stack from 2010-2011.
    103_0159.JPG
    Some like to see how we do the ends of our stacks. This is from 2011-2012
    103_0160.JPG
    Another look at part of the 2011-2012 work. There is more behind this stack. Then on the left you can see where I took that first picture.
    103_0161.JPG
    And finally, just for kicks, a little more of the pine from last winter and behind it some of the rounds from 2012-2013.
    103_0162.JPG

    Although we did not get much wood cut this winter, we still have several years worth on hand. We have not yet split any of the pine and there is still a little bit to haul here from a neighbor's place. It will get done but perhaps not until next fall or winter. My to-do list is so long I can't see the end!

    One more time, this is one of the best reasons to get 3 years or more ahead on the wood piles. A year ago we did not cut that much wood and this past winter we cut very little. In addition, with the injuries to my back, it has really slowed me down. The longest period of time I've cut since the fall in 2012 is 2 hours and that includes several breaks so actual working time is very little. But with all that, we still have plenty and we do not have to be concerned that it won't be dry enough to burn. It will do just fine.
     
  2. cnice_37

    cnice_37

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,211
    Likes Received:
    14,236
    Location:
    SE Mass
    By now you must have a Wikipedia entry or something on the "3 year plan"!

    Last year I was burning dead standing oak that was about 2 years seasoned and it was by far the best burning and efficient heating. Can't wait to get a full 3 years under my belt!
     
    Backwoods Savage, Chvymn99 and Stinny like this.
  3. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Nice to see you back Dennis.
    'Bout time.:)
    Nice pictures too, even if I may have seen some of those stacks.:thumbs:
    What are the poles? I've used Oak from the log load, Spruce, and Poplar.
    I'll be pulling off the ground, the last of the Oak poles this year and get 'em cut up/stacked.
    I'll be checking on the others as I unload wood from them to go in the shed.
     
    Backwoods Savage and Stinny like this.
  4. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    It's good that your back Sav, the stacks look super. I wish that we lived closer, I'd be there if needed.
     
  5. GrJfer

    GrJfer

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2014
    Messages:
    2,159
    Likes Received:
    14,075
    Location:
    The Woods of Arkansas
    Those are some nice looking stacks. I do my end the save way, but they don't look that clean.
     
    Backwoods Savage, Chvymn99 and Stinny like this.
  6. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Good to see you back Dennis and glad your setting good with enough wood
     
    Backwoods Savage, Chvymn99 and Stinny like this.
  7. Loon

    Loon

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    6,560
    Likes Received:
    37,138
    Location:
    North of the border
    Our 3 year plan went out the window by March this year Dennis :hair: Great pics :yes:
     
    Backwoods Savage, Chvymn99 and Stinny like this.
  8. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    Welcome back, please pace yourself.
     
  9. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Your stacks sure do look great Dennis. Lots of wood. Plenty to make it possible to just go easy and work very short sessions, when ever you feel like it. Good to have you back here again… :)
     
    Backwoods Savage and Chvymn99 like this.
  10. Chvymn99

    Chvymn99 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    21,482
    Likes Received:
    113,747
    Location:
    KC Metro
    Good to hear from you again Dennis... Great pics as always. Yes the 3 year plan is a great plan to have.
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  11. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    I wish I lived closer so I could help you get that splitting done. How many years worth do you still have?
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  12. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    Good to see you back in action Dennis!
     
    Backwoods Savage and Stinny like this.
  13. raybonz

    raybonz Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2013
    Messages:
    4,225
    Likes Received:
    9,758
    Location:
    Carver, Mass.
    Great looking stacks as always Dennis! Wish I lived nearby I'd stack that wood for you! No way it would look that neat though! I must be crazy because I like stacking wood..

    Ray
     
  14. jetjr

    jetjr

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2014
    Messages:
    3,233
    Likes Received:
    8,953
    Location:
    Pa/Md line
    Good job man. Slow and steady wins the race. Its great in my opinion that you do what you do. A lot of people would hang it up but you have the will power to do something you enjoy. So what if it takes all year as long as your happy with what you have. Its far better to pace yourself than run around and bust yourself even worse. Like others stated wish I was closer to lend a hand. Keep up the spirits man.:thumbs:
     
  15. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Looking good Dennis! Is there a certain kind of poles you look for to stack on that are more resistant to rot? If I remember correctly, is sassafras pretty resistant? Im on a 3 year plan, but want to use poles for future stacks and have plenty of sass.
     
    HDRock, Backwoods Savage and Stinny like this.
  16. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,156
    Location:
    Central MI
    Those poles are cherry and soft maple. Some of the soft maple are getting old. I threw a few away but they have been used for about 6 years or so. Not bad for soft maple. The cherry will last longer but yes, sassafras will outdo them. The trouble with sassafras is that around here it does not grow straight very often. I haven't cut any for posts not for many years. I do notice that since the pileated woodpeckers moved in, the sassafras have lots of holes in them now so not sure how long they will live after that but don't think it will make a big difference. If they show signs of stress, I'll cut them because I simply love cutting them just to enjoy the scent.

    For sure it would be great if we all lived close to one another. But then, perhaps we'd be getting together and getting nothing done then?!! :rofl: :lol:

    Thanks all.
     
    thewoodlands, raybonz, HDRock and 2 others like this.