In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Long distance loco locust

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by jo191145, Sep 30, 2023.

  1. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,737
    Likes Received:
    214,831
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut

    Big log in the middle looks like Norway maple.
     
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2023
  2. Locust Post

    Locust Post

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    8,950
    Likes Received:
    52,503
    Location:
    N. E. OH
    Whatever it is it will mix right in, stove won't mind at all
     
  3. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,233
    Likes Received:
    50,426
    Location:
    Ct
    that’s the one I thought was some type of hickory. Could be a maple. I’ve had so little maple in my days :)
     
    T.Jeff Veal and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  4. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,233
    Likes Received:
    50,426
    Location:
    Ct
    Yep but I’m selling a little wood now. Time for me to figure out what I have and how much to mix in. Or ask you guys :) The only wood I separate is black locust.
    And I surely don’t want to bring home elm or cottonwood or anything that makes me swear a lot.
     
  5. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,737
    Likes Received:
    214,831
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Norway processes and has similar btu's to ash IME. That one looks a little twisty so may pose a problem in the multi wedge. It does split easily though.

    Have you thought of separating out oak from other one year species. Oak in its own bin?
     
    MikeInMa, T.Jeff Veal and jo191145 like this.
  6. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,233
    Likes Received:
    50,426
    Location:
    Ct
    I usually get so little “other” woods it doesn’t seem to make sense. The pallet pens seem to make sense with mixing a little “other” wood with the oak. Usually try for about 10% filler. One of the reasons I like to know what it is. Sugar maple or hickory I’d treat as oak. If that makes sense :)
     
  7. T.Jeff Veal

    T.Jeff Veal

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2015
    Messages:
    29,483
    Likes Received:
    188,730
    Location:
    Country life, Ga
    Great find and nice loads.
    Congratulations
     
    Chud, jo191145 and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  8. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,849
    Likes Received:
    121,339
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    Awesome score!!! :dex::dex: Makes me want to watch FBMP and CL like a hawk.