In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Long awaited Ash Score: the final chapter

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Sirchopsalot, Nov 23, 2022.

1. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

That is how it should be. You are doing it right.

2. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

After coming home from work this morning, I picked up the maul and split till 230. The boy joined me, and between the two of us, got every round split today.

I have 4 logs left to cut, and a buncha noodling to do, but thats is for wood for us from the long awaited ash score. I think we're on to 12 weeks now, and all that remains is to take 4 or 5 trailer loads home. (And then the oddball noodling and couple remaining logs).
    I'm thyinking about inviting help, as one helper bailed today....so we didnt haul anything out. Im guessing (ok, looking forward to) pizza and maybe other food. I figure 4 or 5 hours would do the trick, depending on how many bodies were handy.
    No pics today, crazy tired. But, the end is in sight!
    We're 7 cords hauled out for us, 1.5 for a friend, and half a cord for another friend, and a solid 2.5 cord ready to bring home.
    Getting excited!

Sca

3. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

Yestreday, Sirchopsalot Jr and his fiance' and I loaded the biggest of the piles at this Ash score. We all hedged our bets on trailer loads (at over a half cord each) at around 2.5 to 3 loads. It was 3 over the top loads, a little over a cord and a half.

The last stack filled out to be 9 cord on a single row of pallets. Some of which are being crushed. This new row is on 1.5 rows of pallets. (pics later). Heading out for the last pile today with Stumpy, I bet there are 2 loads left, maybe we'll get one of them today.

Here's a tall drink to SCA Jr, and his new fiance'.

SCA

4. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

Stumpy and I pulled a full load of ash today. It got dark before I could stack the wood, so that is for before church hours tomorrow.
    There is one more load there, perhaps a full trailer, maybe a little less.
    After that, there a buncha small items to cut up, and a few bits of tidying left to do. Maybe 1/3 cord left, all for a friend.

All told, when I thought we'd see 4 to 6 cord out of this job, we saw:
    1.5 go to one friend
    .5+ to another friend
    And 9.5 to us.
    11.5 cord total.
    All hand split by Sca Jr., and I.
    Include the 11 cord we split in March and April, 22 put up for the year. By hand.
    1 fatality: Sca Jr's isocore.

Honor roll for this rather larger than expected job:
    Stumpy, who has helped me from the very begining this year. Who does more with one good arm than most people with two fully functioning arms.

buZZsaw BRAD : wit and witicism, the use of a fiesty chainsaw for a day, and help cutting all this up. No one here runs saws but me. Brad, your help and humor were a real breath of fresh air.

Sirchopsalot Jr. 's fiancé hustled wood with us a couple days. She's the robust type, not afraid of physical work, nor of pushing herself. A fine young lady.

Sirchopsalot Jr. For endless hours of good hard work, humor, patience with me and sometimes the work, a constant willingness to help, and a body and mind toughened by the strenuous life.

I'm well blessed to have such a group around me. All of you will reap your own unique blessings from this time.
    I've kept my heart healthy, become stronger and gained more endurance than I've ever had, lost weight, and had the pleasure of working intensely and intimately with a very good small group of folks.

We're blessed with a good wood score, and the ability to give a bunch of it away. And the eating of lots of tasty pizza.

This summer and the long awaited ash score, has left us sitting on roughly 35 cord, 6 years supply, not including what we'll burn this winter, and a cord of shorts.

Here's a cold malted milkshake toast to a great crew this year.
    Love yall,
    Sirchopsalot

Woodsnwoods, MikeInMa, GMB77 and 4 others like this.
  5. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

I unloaded yesterday's haul this morning, and went back for what would be the last of the splits at the score.
    It was stacked and covered just as the snow began to fall.
    2.5 cord, about 6' tall and 3 20" pieces wide.
    Thats the last of it.
    Just noodling the scroungy stuff left, whenever I have time.

20221211_111232.jpg

20221211_111251.jpg

6. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

7. Woodsnwoods

Woodsnwoods

Nice work!!!! Ash, cash or grass!!!!!

8. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Nice job!
    Great looking piles :thumbs:

Sirchopsalot and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  9. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

Thanks!
    Im not the only one glad this job is done. That was lot of doing.
    Im glad there is some piddly stuff left, that will give me the chance to sneak out there to the woods for a short stretch.
    Wooohoooo!!

buZZsaw BRAD likes this.