In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

LogOx

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by RCBS, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Jon_E

Jon_E

I am a subscriber to the "Life in Farmland" channel and saw the LogOx. Thought it was pretty neat, but I already have a pulp hook and a pickaroon. I've been considering picking up a new cant hook and timberjack attachment for log handling. This tool is obviously a multi-tasker and although it takes a minute or two to switch between functions, it doesn't appear to be all that difficult. When I found out that the Roberts family are more or less next door neighbors (less than 10 miles away) I decided it was in my best interests to support local business. So I will be getting one of these as finances allow (or maybe if Santa decides I'm a good boy....)

Chaz, Maina, iBob and 4 others like this.
  2. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Chaz, Maina, HDRock and 1 other person like this.
  3. BigBlueLogOX

BigBlueLogOX

Wow SkidderDone, thanks for sharing your experience with using the LogOX, I'm glad to hear that you found it useful for both increasing work efficiency and saving your back. I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to write a thorough review! Using the LogOX to prop up and drag logs is certainly useful for quickly clearing areas, such as downed trees across trails and roads. While you've got the timberjack T-Bar on you ought to try it out for bucking log rounds. For logs up to about 12" in diameter, the timberjack works well for making quick and clean cuts. Most people make this tool less efficient than it really is when they just cut rounds off the end suspended in air, then reposition the whole tool and do it again. Instead, I'd recommend lifting the log once, making the end cuts as usual, and then cutting your round lengths 3/4 of the way through along the rest of the log. Once you set it back down, the log should roll over (you can always give it a little nudge) exposing the uncut portion, which just like when using the cant hook, you can then cut without risking damage to your chain.

You're right, once you engage and pick up a log round it isn't going anywhere until you want it to. However, after practicing the release techniques a bit doing so will become very easy. Jon, the inventor of the LogOX put together this quick overview video showing some of the preferred techniques we've found:
    We plan on reshooting this and adding some new info this spring.

The Hauler Holster is definitely one of my favorite accessories, especially when loading a splitter. We'll have them back in stock by mid-January. While swinging the log round slightly can give you some added forward momentum to more easily put it up onto the splitter, we definitely recommend a two handed grip for larger logs. By gripping both the handle (horizontally) and mid way down the body (vertically) while bending at the knees, you engage the log round and lift it straight up and onto the splitter while maintaining a good upright spine position.

We're working on several prototypes for 2018, both for attachments and upgrades to the design itself. The current pin design is one of the things we'll be considering alternatives for. We definitely appreciate our customer's recommendations for new uses, techniques, and ideas to improve our products. Once we're getting ready to unveil a new product or upgrade, you'll hear about it here first :yes:

Chaz, Maina, HDRock and 1 other person like this.
  4. BigBlueLogOX

BigBlueLogOX

Bob, yes thanks for asking, we have shipped several to the UK so far from our website. We were recently contacted by a UK arborist and outdoor equipment supply company about distributing the LogOX in the UK. We are exploring that possibility with them right now and if they decide to carry it I'll post a link to this thread.
    :usa::uk::scotland:

Chaz, iBob, RCBS and 1 other person like this.
  5. RCBS

RCBS

I have been using the Ox a fair amount lately Austin. Glad to have it. Great video! I hadn't thought of tapping the back of the hook. Most of my handing is of rounds on the ground to the splitter. I have also used it to load my truck bed a couple times. I have used the finger under the hook release and I have been using a push and twist method when placing on splitter. I push away to release the bite and then roll my wrist to an angle steep enough that the point can't grab and then pull towards me. (which may be what your Dad is doing in the video?) I am becoming better at handling with it and it is fairly intuitive through use. I will likely be ordering a holster sometime after the holidays. I have a place that I set it against the splitter axle, but would like to try a holster.

I have also had success using the Ox as a cant hook, so long as ambitions are not too high. I'm talking just the hauler itself without handle. I've used it to roll decent sized logs on flat ground for 3/4-1/4 bucking. A lot more handy to tote around than my Swisher cant hook.

Keep up the good work. Interested to see what comes out of the basement next!

Chaz, Maina, BigBlueLogOX and 2 others like this.
  6. iBob

iBob

Cheers for the heads up!
    I will keep my eyelids peeled ;)

B:picard:B

Chaz, HDRock, RCBS and 1 other person like this.
  7. Rowerwet

Rowerwet

Apparently I've been a good husband this year, Mrs rowerwet is buying me one for Christmas

Chaz, Maina, HDRock and 4 others like this.
  8. BigBlueLogOX

BigBlueLogOX

Thanks for the additional feedback RCBS! We'll have the hauler holsters back in stock by January 11th, and I think you'll definitely appreciate not having to set your hauler on the ground in between rounds. I'm glad to hear that you're getting extra use out of the Hauler as a short cant hook, for many of the log diameters that folks are using for firewood this technique works just fine. We also sell the 38" cant handle extension and the timberjack t-bar individually on our website if you ever want the extra leverage to tackle larger logs.

Chaz and HDRock like this.
  9. BigBlueLogOX

BigBlueLogOX

iBob I've finally got some good news for you. We've teamed up with TimberPro UK who are offering an awesome pre-sale price of 124.99GBP/142.54EURO for a LogOX 3-in-1 Forestry MultiTool and Hauler Holster. You can pre-order at LogOx 3in1 Forestry Tool with Holster. Hauler, Timberjack & Cant Hook Kit :thumbs:

Chaz, Hammy, RCBS and 1 other person like this.
  10. iBob

iBob

:hair: That is great news, Austin!
    Thanks for the heads-up ;)

B:eek:B

Chaz, Hammy, TBONE and 1 other person like this.
  11. iBob

iBob

Order placed!

Cheers,
    Bob

Chaz, Hammy, TBONE and 3 others like this.
  12. BigBlueLogOX

BigBlueLogOX

iBob you're very welcome, we look forward to hearing how you like using it across the pond!

Chaz, Hammy, TBONE and 2 others like this.
  13. iBob

iBob

Sadly, I've had to cancel my order and seek a full refund.
    The UK importer just emailed me to say that they had marked the price wrongly and are now seeking an additional £100. Alas, £100 is to much for me at this time.
    I was really looking forward to using the LogOx, but now I can only wait for better times before thinking of reordering.

My loss.

RCBS likes this.
  14. BigBlueLogOX

BigBlueLogOX

Hi iBob,
    As soon as we became aware of their mistake late last week, I immediately contacted their management team, and worked out a deal with them to import the LogOX and still honor their original LogOX price for their customers who ordered one. You should be receiving an email from them soon with an offer to re-order the LogOX for the same price you originally paid. If for whatever reason you do not hear back from them, please send us an e-mail at [email protected] and we'll set it up so that you can purchase one directly from us and we'll cover the shipping costs to get it over to you in the UK. This is our first time working with this importer, and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
    -Austin Roberts

MikeyB, iBob, RCBS and 7 others like this.
  15. Chaz

Chaz

Awesome customer service.:thumbs:

Much kudos to BigBlueLogOX

Now we eagerly await pics iBob

iBob, RCBS, VOLKEVIN and 3 others like this.
  16. iBob

iBob

Hi Austin,
    I got in touch with the UK importer to find out how I can reorder at the original price. I'm waiting on their response.

With that being said, I would like to take the time to thank you for your kind offer and for going the extra mile to help on price.
    There aren't many companies who would honour such an agreement and for that I can't thank you enough!

Many many thanks!
    All the best,
    B;)B

leoht, VOLKEVIN, TBONE and 3 others like this.
  17. BigBlueLogOX

BigBlueLogOX

Hi iBob,

I hope you've received a response from them by now. We've arranged for the LogOX shipment to leave the US this Monday and it should arrive in the UK within 3-5 days. Thanks for your understanding and sticking with us during this whole process!

Cheers,
    -Austin

leoht, Hammy, colin.p and 1 other person like this.
  18. iBob

iBob

Hi Austin,
    I did receive an email from the importers that the LogOx would soon be in the country and that I would be able to re-order at the original price. I look forward to hearing from them soon.
    Thanks for keeping me in the loop :handshake:

Cheers,
    B;)B

19. MikeyB

MikeyB

Hey Bob, any update?
    Thanks

leoht and Chaz like this.
  20. iBob

iBob

Hi Mikey,
    I received an email from the UK supplier a couple of weeks ago saying that the units would be with them and shipping soon, I've not heard anything since.
    This may take a while o_O

Chaz, MikeyB and leoht like this.