In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

LOCUST Quest!

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by buZZsaw BRAD, Jan 13, 2020.

1. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Thank you sir! :salute:

2. Stoveshamster

Stoveshamster

It burns hot!!!!! No question about that. But I like to
    See
    More of a flame. Just a preference

3. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Quest load number two. Hit the score i posted about in my prior locust post. Got my fix for 45 minutes. Mostly pulling precut sections out of the overgrowth and bucking. Only bucked a few rounds off of one trunk that was rather buried. Didnt touch the full tree yet. The density of locust amazes me. When they hit together a nice deep thud. Split easily. I split most of the load when i got home after dusk. IMG_1719.JPG IMG_1720.JPG IMG_1733.JPG IMG_1736.JPG IMG_1737.JPG
    I doubt ill be taking any full loads as i have to work to retrieve the wood. Not like my roadside scores of the past
    I still cant believe how hard this stuff is. Only dead dogwood and dead barkless elm compare IME.
    Probably cut some tomorrow to get my daily fix! The quest continues:tree:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    Woodwidow, Slocum, Stlshrk and 11 others like this.
  4. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Good luck, brother

5. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

The density of the wood and the thickness of the growth rings is amazing.

6. Midwinter

Midwinter

I'm glad you're getting it now, before it gets frozen in. Perfect time to do it, before all that viney stuff grows back in the spring. Keep at it!

7. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

The first area i cut, i parked in the breakdown lane and was dropping the logs on the pavement to knock off the dirt and the THUD it made was amazing compared to any other wood ive ever cut. Maybe dead dogwood or barkless dead elm compare.

Slocum, Horkn, T.Jeff Veal and 4 others like this.
  8. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

If you score dead/cut logs where the bark comes off easily, do you have a trick to remove the cakes on dirt? I was dropping them on the pavement. Brushing doestnt get it all. I though of letting the rain do the job. Let em dry then brush?

9. Midwinter

Midwinter

If I get dirty wood at the dump, I lay it on the lawn and spray it with a hose. Or swish them around in a kiddie pool. But that's in the summertime.
    They're not going to rot, so you could leave them out in the weather.

10. farmer steve

farmer steve

Unless it's clumps of dirt I don't worry to much. Give a brush off with my glove where I'm gonna cut. I use mostly Stihl RM chain which doesn't dull as fast as RS when cutting dirty wood.

11. Felter

Felter Banned

if you need to cut a dirty log you can cut from the dirty side and cut down and the dirt will fling off the wood without dulling your chain.

12. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I was referring to a cut round after the bark comes off Felter & farmer steve. There's usually some "banana peel" slippery schmutz still on the round. I had dropped some on the pavement prior to loading the PU and it helped. Had to handle the rounds with care unless i wanted to look like i rolled in dirt! The ones i bucked yesterday i removed bark prior to bucking.

13. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Tough call on that one, brother, especially when the rounds are in the woods. Get it home and use a pressure washer, maybe

14. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Hit the score again today for my hour long fix. I was going to start the front hill closest to the road, but im pretty sure its state and/or town land. Didnt want to leave any evidence...yet. I went behind the building and starting hacking and cutting through the jungle. Hacked 4-6' with the machete and saw then mark and cut. Repeat. IMG_1745.JPG
    Im working then smelled something peculiar as it was close to 50* today...oh DEER...carcass! The area is between two lanes of a steep interstate connecting ramp. Mustve got hit? IMG_1746.JPG IMG_1744.JPG
    Kept going deeper in and found it to be a whole tree. About 15 ' left to buck, plus another tree ten feet away that is just as entangled. You guys werent kidding about how fast this dulls the saw. Freshly sharpened too. I couldve hit dirt in my defense. With the tangle and forest litter it was tough to see/judge the ground on the other side while bucking. IMG_1747.JPG Had to carry the rounds (bark came off easily) to the street (maybe 100') carefully unless i wanted to wear the "mud" from under the bark or trip. Not bad for an hour considering what i had to contend with. IMG_1748.JPG IMG_1749.JPG
    Split it all quick and easy at my friends. Im liking this stuff more and more every day. Even the gnarlies split rather easily. Unstacked splits are from today. IMG_1750.JPG Last pic is yesterdays load i split at home. IMG_1739.JPG

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  15. farmer steve

farmer steve

Got it Brad. I've handled so much like that I don't even give it a thought. Looks like colder temps next week so it shouldn't be as bad when frozen.

16. Midwinter

Midwinter

Good thing you didn't find human remains! That would have shut down your scrounge real quick.
    That's a big load for an hour's work!

17. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

You are getting with it, buddy. I'm sure that was a nice aroma to work around. Would be nice if you could pull those logs out of the tangles

18. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

I just checked, and I don't see deer bones on the BTU chart.

19. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

OMG!!! That wouldve freaked me out or anyone else for that matter! I found the remains last week when scouting. When i got the smell, the thought crossed my mind until i spotted all the fir. Its such a dense tangle of everything i dont know how it got in there.

20. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Wasnt too bad luckily. Dont know if there'd be enough room, but not familiar with winching logs. There is a few feet of grass around the fence then weeds woods etc. Maybe 50' into the tangle.
    Working in the tangle adds to the adventure of the score. After all its more than an addiction...its an adventure!