In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Loaded truck pics.

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by clemsonfor, Oct 7, 2013.

1. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

Good question. Actually, I had a fairly serious injury to the index finger on my left hand and I couldn't/still can't get a tight grip like I used to. The noodle is a larger diameter that I can hold onto better which gives me better control and makes cutting safer (at least in my mind).

brenndatomu and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  2. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

Negative sir. I fill an IBC tote of shorts and uglies (still split) and set it out at my roadside stand. They sell for $75, which I think is a good value for 1/4 cord of hardwoods. I've sold 5 so far this year and just put another one out over the weekend. I have one filled as well but not dry yet.

brenndatomu, buZZsaw BRAD and EODMSgt like this.
  3. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

Picked up a load of mostly dry white pine from Marketplace. I have an idea for selling it.[​IMG]

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

brenndatomu, buZZsaw BRAD and EODMSgt like this.
  4. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

The whole (uncut) top of the trunk is still there, on the opposite side of the road, as well as at least three more sections of the lower trunk where I've been grabbing my scrounges. Unfortunately, this is all in an area where chainsaws aren't allowed (different rules during the winter for the snowmobile club that cut this up to clear the trail). Not much I can do with the upper trunk (what a shame as it will just be allowed to rot over time) and the few sections of the lower trunk that are left are probably three feet long or more. At 24" in diameter, those are probably out of my range for rolling up a ramp into the truck without some kind of mechanical assistance. I'll give it some thought, as I hate to pass up such a great scrounge, but I might have to unfortunately pass on the rest.

5. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

A 1/2" lag bolt screwed into the center of each end of rounds, then a makeshift "spreader bar" (used 2x4s?) to attach a strap/cable, use a cheap ATV winch strapped to the tie downs points at the front of the bed, run off truck battery via jumper cables...BTDT, works well. Could probably do this sans the winch by using a small rope/block n tackle tied to the front of the truck bed too.
    Other option might be a peavy/log roller, grab some blocks to prop the rounds in place on the ramp whenever you need to get a new bite.

6. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

:popcorn:

7. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

I'm considering some options, such as those you mentioned, and can always use a come-along strapped into the front tie-down points to assist in getting them up the ramp. The remaining sections I'm interested in are down a slope about 20 feet off the road, so that's the first obstacle to overcome. The long-time scrounger in me doesn't want to pass these up, but there are more manageable scrounges out there (and where I can use a chainsaw). Just have to weigh risk/effort versus reward.

theburtman and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  8. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Always hard to pass up a score, but you have to weigh out the options. Im getting so spoiled as I'm liking easier especially in the humid weather. I'm more inclined to go for a harder score when its colder.

EODMSgt and theburtman like this.
  9. Haftacut

Haftacut

Waiting for me when I get home from vacation! db87765f-49d8-4b5d-87e8-7dee879a8d79.jpeg

theburtman likes this.