In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Listen to the radio.......

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by SD Steve, Jan 30, 2022.

1. yooperdave

yooperdave

2 1/2 hour trip, huh? Well, it must've sparked your interest otherwise we wouldn't be responding to this thread! :D

What else is along the way that can help you justify the time investment? Anything or nothing? Are you getting any of that bad weather that Greenstick has now? Or that Cash Larue is hoping to get rid of?

5 year old barn dried ash will by just right for that new stove......

2. Greenstick

Greenstick

Carrington North Dakota-aka-Dakotah Territory
    If I remember right he isn't too far from where I grew up and mom still lives. Talked to her an hour ago and she said they didn't get the rain and crap the way I did up where I live. For the wood it is a nice price but with the time and fuel to get it that makes it less appealing, unless you could round up something someone needs hauled out there and would give you some coin to cover fuel. Picture of what my neighborhood looked like today. Screenshot_20220201-182625_Facebook~2.jpg

amateur cutter and yooperdave like this.
  3. Yawner

Yawner

I would think it would be too far but if I were to buy that, I would want several pics of the wood, including a ruler or yardstick by some of them so I could see the actual length rather than, "Oh, yeah, I cut to 16 inches." And then you get there and it's 12" to 20". Or includes a bunch of uglies. I have seen this several times from sellers, selling really ugly, really non-uniform, inconsistent splits! In fact, I find it rare that sellers take the care that I do in making splits. Not that I am anything special, lol, but I do try to make consistent splits and if they fall out of the "that's a good split," it goes in another pile and I can burn that or sell at a discount. Of course, I am NOT selling at $150. I have sold for years at $240 but I'm going up this coming season. I have noted that on FB MP, prices have risen over the past year. Lots of sellers asking $300 and more. Good!

As for traveling, right before I scored a huge scrounge, I found a guy who was selling at $130/cord! I thought that was too cheap for me to pass up because at that time, I was needing split wood fast because I was low. It was 50 minutes from me and I bought three loads and was thinking, "Geez, even at $130, I am not sure this is worth it." (The round trip time, wear and tear on my truck/trailer for a heavy load.) I first had to school him on making consistent splits for me, with no uglies. He also bragged about how good it burned but it was absolutely green wood! Red oak.

I find that going anywhere that takes, say, 45 minutes to drive to, generally, blows a half day for me.

amateur cutter likes this.
  4. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

I think I'd confirm that he is really selling a cord. Depends on the guy's truck but most pickups won't haul (safely) even 1/3 of a cord. So for an extra $50, a full cord seems pretty cheap. I would NOT pay $100 for a truck load unless we're talking about a dump truck or super duty with pretty tall side extensions.

amateur cutter likes this.
  5. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

I agree the distance is too far....unless there is another reason to go there: you and the Mrs. or the kiddo (s) want to see or visit someone or something, or do an overnight. Then its a family trip with a purpose other than wood (that may turn out to be a bust).

Sca

amateur cutter and yooperdave like this.
  6. SD Steve

SD Steve

North East, Hecla is the name of our town.

wildwest likes this.