thewoodlands, not sure why but nothing comes up with the link. Maybe the lightning strike was so bright it made the screen all white.
That's amazing the power to blow the tree apart like that. I've seen a few oaks over the years with a scar down the bark from lightning but never damage like that
Seen that at my house lightning hit 200 Year old dying ash. basically vaporized all moisture in tree and blew all bark some pieces over 100 feet. I had real dry firewood that year. I was getting in car to go pickup daughter at end of drive in a down pour and looked up and kaboom. if only I knew of this place and had a moisture meter cause that wood was dry! spring of 2012!
Yep, turned that tree into a quick-blow fuse!! I've removed several lightning-struck trees, it's amazing the external AND internal damage that is done.....
Here's one that acts as a slow-blow fuse. Watch the whole video, it's amazing. Once that current works it's way down to solid ground....KABOOM!! The breaker in the circuit trips and resets and KABOOM!! does it again!!
That was a well trained tree. A little split wood flew right into the bed of the pick up. Scary crap though!