In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Life is going to get a little easier...

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by EODMSgt, Aug 3, 2020.

1. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

Other than the EA grapple and york rake, I have the Kioti FEL, Kioti SB70 72" front-mounted snow blower, Kioti GS2072 72" grader scraper (sometimes called a land plane), Kioti RB 2572 72" rear blade, Kioti PF4448 48" pallet forks, Woods quick-hitch, and a Titan 3-point ballast box. (I think that's everything.) Enough stuff to keep me busy.

I think it was you that has a similar ballast box and if so, and I was meaning to ask how you like it filled with concrete? I have mine filled with 3/4 gravel but was thinking of switching to concrete.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  2. Horkn

Horkn

Not sexy if you are a zombie!

:rofl: :lol:

That'll make work a whole lot easier.:cool:

3. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

I have a thread on it in this sub forum titled Extra ballast for Kioti. I’m not sure how to copy and paste on my phone. My power is out, so no pc. To answer your question, I like the Titan box, but its definitely is on the small side for our class of tractor. My three point is rated at 3200 lbs 24” back, I’m sure yours is similar. The Titan box full of Stone was not enough ballast. I ended up putting in two more pipes as tool holders, and put a square chimney flue on its side behind the sliding door to hold gloves, chains, etc. Then I filled it with concrete and bolted some steel discs to the sides. I’d say now it’s probably 900 lbs where before it was maybe 600. Still could be heavier, but it’s better than it was. My rear tires are also filled with Rimguard, which is a must imo.

4. Chaz

Chaz

5. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

I agree that the Titan box is a tad small. I purchased it for use during the winters when I had my CK27 (which did not have loaded tires). If I really needed ballast on the that tractor, I would hook up the backhoe (which I don't have now). With the heavier DK, which does have loaded tires, for now I will probably upgrade the Titan box with concrete and some added weights, similar to what you did. I'll surf for your old post later.

Hope your power comes back on soon. Ours was out for three hours and just came back on a short time ago. Was aaaaaaaaaaallllmost ready to go hook up the generator.

mat60, Chazsbetterhalf and Loon like this.
  6. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

No more moving stuff with the log tongs! This works, but will be much easier with the grapple.

20200508_141808.jpg

thewoodlands, Chvymn99, mat60 and 8 others like this.
  7. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Its not much of a thread.

Here is a pic of the weight box.

[​IMG]

This is the hidden compartment. I threw some 3/4" thick steel plate in there to add more weight.

[​IMG]

One of the handiest attachments I have is also one of the cheaper ones. The Norwood Log hog. Hook it up to a log, lift the 3 point arms and skid logs. I have big skidding tongs, but I found that a choker chain works better most of the time. For plucking rounds out of a trailer or onto a splitter I can see the tongs being very useful.

[​IMG]

Still no power. Been 14 hours and counting. :headbang:

fuelrod, Chvymn99, mat60 and 6 others like this.
  8. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

Thanks for the pics. I like the chain compartment!

I've looked at the log hogs (or similar items) however I don't skid enough log lengths to go that route (yet).

Sorry to hear about the power still being out. Other than losing power for a few hours late yesterday evening and a bunch of branches down in the yard, the storm was pretty much a non-issue here. I drove up my favorite forest service road and there were a lot of small branches down, but only one tree. I almost didn't even bother but didn't want to go home empty handed. It was a beech about 16" at the base. The lower section had a lot of rot but the top was still alive. Not a big score but came home with at least a day's worth of BTUs once it's CSS. Every little bit helps.

9. Hookedup24

Hookedup24

Lucky, power always comes back on 30 minutes AFTER I get out the generator and run cords all over the house.

Chvymn99, Chaz, mat60 and 3 others like this.
  10. Loon

Loon

I always go out and grab the honda from the garage and rig it up in the carport when they say on the weather station bad storm on its way.:whistle:
    They are wrong ALOT! :hair: :coldone:

Chaz, mat60, EODMSgt and 2 others like this.
  11. Ejp1234

Ejp1234

Cool thread, I ordered the 72” from them a week ago.

12. Dumf

Dumf Banned

Looks like you're near Randolph ?
    Did winter training in Gulf of Slides too long ago. Then ran Snow Shelter Workshops for the AMC.
    Now we're too far from the Whites.

13. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

I'd love to get a front mount Kioti blower. I just cant justify it right now. They've got to be 7-8 grand, plus you need the mid PTO i believe.

If anything I'd get a three point blower. The QA front snowplow does pretty well though.

Chaz, Chazsbetterhalf, mat60 and 2 others like this.
  14. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

R
    Randolph is on the opposite side of Mount Washington from me (Randolph is NW and I'm SE) but same general area. I'm about 1o miles from the summit as the crow flies.

They would send us to Bridgeport, CA for cold weather training and I always laughed at that since I have the same stuff back home in NH (minus the elevation).

15. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

I hemmed and hawed over a 3-point blower for years but can't turn around that much thanks to back injuries/surgeries so never got one. Not getting any younger so when I traded in and upgraded tractors last year, I opted for the front mounted blower instead of the backhoe. It was an either/or due to the costs and I hadn't used the old backhoe that much for a few years. I think my front mounted blower was around 6,500 so they don't give them away, that's for sure. I think the subframe is what eats up a lot of that because the blower itself isn't too different from a 3-point setup. Since the subframe is proprietary and built for a specific model line, I'm sure they get a good chunk of change for that part alone.

You should already have the mid-mount PTO. My DK already had it, all they had to do was remove a plate from the housing and install the shaft kit but the PTO was already there.

Chaz, Chazsbetterhalf and mat60 like this.
  16. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

You may be right, I'm not sure on that one.

They also have the inverted pull type 3 point blowers, but those aren't cheap either and require driving through the snow first. A lot of the times it snows i'm not able to perform the snow removal while it snows, so I may be doing 24" at once at the end of the storm. My brother has a Woodmaxx 3 point blower and likes it. I can see it being a pain in the neck (pun completely intended). Especially where my driveway is about 900' long.

17. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

sirbuildalot my driveway got to be 900+ feet 3 pt blower meteor on back of Bota, see avatar. 2 foot of snow no problem when you hit a drift clutch and let blower catch up

18. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

I was saying the inverted blower that faces forward would be hard with 24" of snow because you have to drive forward through the snow as you blow it. Seems every video of them is like this one where they are blowing 2" of snow. I've yet to see a video of an inverted blower go through real deep snow. I have no doubt a rear facing three point blower can handle 24" of snow. I've handled that amount and more with my garden tractor blowers.

19. Dumf

Dumf Banned

"Bridgeport, California" !!! Like being a little bit pregnant.
    Try Watertown, N.Y.

Chazsbetterhalf likes this.
  20. Flamestead

Flamestead

Here's the definitive source on inverted blowers. As the years go by the tractors they use get smaller, so don't despair...
    Switching to blowing service