In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Let's talk bars?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by GrJfer, May 10, 2014.

1. reelcrzy

reelcrzy

That's what I figured, was just checking . Thanks

2. mdavlee

mdavlee

.058" will carry more oil down the bar. There's a little more meat on the chain depending on brand also. I run a lot of .063" but no .058" because of the lack of chain options in it. The .050" is standard in the southeast and .058" is mostly northeast/midwest/canada. The rest of the world uses mostly .058" husky stuff and .063" stihl.

reelcrzy likes this.
  3. nate

nate Banned

I don't bother with fancy bars for normal use as I get maybe a season out of a plain Jane Stihl bar before its beat. At around $40 a pop it doesn't break me.

No reason to have longer than generally needed.
    No reason to run a big bar "just in case" if 99% of the cuts don't need it. Keep the big bar handy, run a small bar!

I run an 18" which I find is a good balance of cost, weight and length for my uses. I find while a longer bar might mean less bending it also means many cuts without being about to use the dawgs. I'd say for most folks a 16, 18 or 20" bar will take care of most firewood.

GrJfer, clemsonfor and reelcrzy like this.